LVT(A)-1A "Crocodile"

Started by Old Wombat, July 23, 2021, 10:32:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

This build is inspired by Mr Jeffrey Fontaine, who sent me a number of Saladin turrets from Tamiya M113A1 Fire Support Vehicles amongst some other odds & ends.

The base kit is an Italeri LVT(A)-1 Alligator which I am in the process of modifying, like the Australian army M113A1s, to mount one of the Saladin 76mm-gunned turrets.

Obviously, the vehicle being an amphibian, where to put this build is something of a quandary: Sea or Land? Land or Sea? ???

I settled on "Land" because it really only travels through the water to get from the transport ship to land, where it does most of its work. Although this Royal Australian Marines version is going to be operating in the flooded rice paddies & rivers of Vietnam as much as on firm dry land.

Photo's have been taken of these early stages & will, hopefully be posted tomorrow ... later today.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Weaver

Nice one. :thumbsup:

I started a 1/76th Buffalo with a Scorpion turret, but it got stalled before it got very far.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Rheged

The name Crocodile has always suggested a flame thrower to me........as in the Churchill Crocodile.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Wardukw

I like this idea..I had all of italeris LVT's and the idea of a Aussie version with the Saladin turret would make perfect sense to me ..it's a mod I could see them doing.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

rickshaw

The Australian Army did operate LVTs after WWII.  They took part in one of military disasters when during their annual camp the 15th Northern Rivers Lancers, in March 1954, was marred by disaster in Stockton Bight.  They never mounted Saladin turrets but they did operate LVT(A)4s.  The vehicles lost by foundering were five LVT(a)4s, one LVT4 and two DUKWs.  :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Old Wombat

Quote from: Rheged on July 23, 2021, 12:36:51 PM
The name Crocodile has always suggested a flame thrower to me........as in the Churchill Crocodile.

Crocodile works because it's an Alligator with more bite. ;D

Old Wombat

First images.

Phase One - Basic Turret Fitment:

Phase Two - Turret Ring & Rear Superstructure Extension Installation:

Phase Three - PSR + Primer:

Old Wombat

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on July 23, 2021, 06:33:39 PM
I like this idea..I had all of italeris LVT's and the idea of a Aussie version with the Saladin turret would make perfect sense to me ..it's a mod I could see them doing.

Why am I not surprised, Wardukw? :unsure: ;)

Dizzyfugu

Nice, and it looks very plausible, too.  :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

A fascinating vehicle, the LVT(A)-4.

Prior to starting on my 1/35 Challenger 2 (I'll get back to it soon, promise...) the only armour model I'd ever built was an Airfix LVT to which I'd added a turret, I think from an article in the old Airfix Mag.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Looking good and it shows how big the LVT was.

Must admit my first thoughts on seeing the title of the article were the same as Rheged's and I half expected a flame thrower version. You now have me thinking of an LVT AVRE with a turret mounted Petard Mortar and hull mounted flamethrower issued to the Commonwealth Corps for the Invasion of Japan.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

Guy 😁😆..yup I had a heap ..Now it's a little pile 😊.
Ya know what your building here makes sense..ya I know already said that but I've been thinking..when they stuffed the Saladin turret on the 113 they buggered its amphibian ability..putting it on top of the LVT gives them that ability back..so very very cool ☺
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

Thank you all, gentlemen! :bow:

Quite a weird looking thing, the LVT, on dry land. Apparently they were quite stable in the water (when there wasn't a storm blowing) but bucked like a rocking horse out of it.

No Churchill Crocodiles in the RAM by the 1960s, so no confusion, there. May have to think about getting them into the RAM for the final island-hopping stages & the landings in Korea in early 1945. ;)

Nothing further done at this stage, I was seconded to SPR (sand-paint-repeat) duty on a cot ... Apparently I'm going to be a grandfather (:o) sometime in early December.

Hopefully I'll get the turret finished to primer tonight.

zenrat

A Grandwombat.  Congratulations.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Thanks, Fred! :thumbsup:

Failed to achieve modelling goal. Bugger! :banghead: