F-112 Dragon

Started by TomZ, July 13, 2021, 09:47:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomZ

Saab F-112 Dragon USAF

In 1955 the US Air force was looking for a solution to the disappointing performance of the Convair F-102 Delta Dart. The top speed of this design fell far short of the expectations despite having more than enough thrust and Convair appeared unable to solve the problem.

The USAF decided to look abroad for a solution and bought 644 examples of the Saab Draken which was just entering flight testing that year. The type received the USAF designation F-112 and was named Dragon, a direct translation of the Swedish Draken.

The Dragon remained in US service until the late 60s when it was replaced by the Convair F-106, who had finally solved the problems with the F-102.

In real life there were six Drakens in the USA, flying for the National Test Pilot School.

Model: Hasegawa 1/72

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

perttime

The Draken is good for learning about superstall.

Jesse220

That would not be a bad idea

Pellson

This is cool. I've rarely seen a US paint job on the Draken and it really makes this little pretty bird look rather different.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Dizzyfugu

This livery stunt also works very good on a Mirage III...  :rolleyes:

McColm

comrade harps

Whatever.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Oh yeah, that's pretty - nice on! :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"