Beech Starship Royal Netherlands Air Force

Started by TomZ, July 03, 2021, 10:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomZ

Beech Starship Royal Netherlands Air Force

In the beginning of the 1980s the Dutch Air Force was looking for a new executive transport to replace the Fokker F-27 Friendship which had been in service since the 1960s.

The choice fell on the futuristic Beech Starship, of which two were acquired in 1982. Delays in the development meant however that these were not delivered until 1988. The aircraft were used as VIP transports for high-ranking military and government officials.

In 1995 the Starship was replaced by a Gulfstream IV which was bought second hand.

Model: Beech Starship, A-model 1/144
Decals: Designed by me and printed by decals.nl

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

kitbasher

Oh yes, very very smart indeed, Tom.

And teeny tiny scale, too.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Wonderful, and very possible indeed.

I've got a 1/72 Starship somewhere, I really ought to find it............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Martin H

Now that looks smart.  :thumbsup:

But then ive always liked the look of the Starship.  :mellow:
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Dizzyfugu

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Spey_Phantom

excellent build, love the idea behind it  :thumbsup:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm

AeroplaneDriver

Gorgeous!! 

Always loved the Starship.  In the early 90s I was working as a Flight Instructor for a Beechcraft dealer and actually got to fly one for about 20 minutes when they were doing a sales tour. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

kitnut617

Every time I see someone build a model of this, I get the urge to start the one I have ----

Very nicely done Tom  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

For some technical reason all Starships were mostly painted white, a bit like Concordes, but luckily this is WhiffWorld......  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

AeroplaneDriver

It was because of the composite structure's issue with heat.  A really fascination aircraft but it's construction was it's undoing.

From what I remember it was basically woven as a compete fuselage from carbon fibre.  Then the windows and door and other openings were cut out. For the door the section cut out became the actual door.  Which seems great until a custom needed a new replacement door. Since each door was minutely different and perfectly matched to the airframe, mass producing a replacement door that fit well enough was apparently quite the challenge.  One of many it ran into. 

Still a gorgeous aircraft though and one I thought flew very nicely compared to the King Air it was intended to replace.  Though the caveat there is that at the time I had about 15 hours of King Air time. 

Speaking of King Airs this build has me wondering how one would look as an alternative RC-12 for the Recce GB...?   Hmmmm....
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

scooter

Didn't the prototype have radar reflectivity problems?  I swear I thought I'd read in Flying Magazine, back in the day, that it had next to no signature on radar.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng