RAAF Foliage Green

Started by AeroplaneDriver, June 24, 2021, 11:38:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

Does anyone know if anyone produced the RAAF Foliage Green (as seen on their Beaufighters) in acrylic?

The Googles doesn't seem to show any.  Alternately is anyone aware of a good mix formula for it?

:thumbsup:
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

kitnut617

I've got the Hasegawa Beaufighter Mk.21 kit and the instructions say it's FS34092 if that helps Nick.
A paint conversion chart I have says Humbrol 30, Tamiya XF26 and Gunze H302. The chart calls it Flat Euro 1 Dark Green.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: kitnut617 on June 24, 2021, 11:52:56 AM
I've got the Hasegawa Beaufighter Mk.21 kit and the instructions say it's FS34092 if that helps Nick.
A paint conversion chart I have says Humbrol 30, Tamiya XF26 and Gunze H302. The chart calls it Flat Euro 1 Dark Green.

Perfect!  I already have that one in the rack. Thanks! 

Dizzyfugu

Humbrol's 149 is FS 34092.

zenrat

The app i use for paints (Hobby Color Converter) only gives one listing for RAAF Foliage Green in a hobby paint;  Lifecolor UA514 RAAF Foliage Green FS24092.

<edit> After a bit of reading.
It seems that RAAF Foliage Green is one of those "can of worms" colours JMNs love to argue about. 

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on June 25, 2021, 03:15:52 AM
The app i use for paints (Hobby Color Converter) only gives one listing for RAAF Foliage Green in a hobby paint;  Lifecolor UA514 RAAF Foliage Green FS24092.

Yup. It was included in their RAAF Box Set 1 which I have in the stash.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: zenrat on June 25, 2021, 03:15:52 AM

<edit> After a bit of reading.
It seems that RAAF Foliage Green is one of those "can of worms" colours JMNs love to argue about.

I found the same thing.  I think this will definitely be a case of "eyeballing" it and as long as it looks right to me I'll be happy.

Old Wombat

I think it may, also, be one of those colours produced locally that, although given a specification, was produced with less QC (both in actual colour & fade resistance) than might otherwise have been the case elsewhere.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kitnut617

I used to use 'The Ultimate Paint Conversion' but it doesn't work for me now, so I've used this one

https://hobbylandbg.com/colourtable#HUMBROL
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

zenrat

One of the websites I was looking at recommended (in acrylics) Vallejo's Gunship Green.  I have some of this and its not a bad match (by my eyes anyway).

If you want lacquer then SMS do an RAAF Foliage Green.  Good luck getting it posted anywhere outside Australia though.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on June 26, 2021, 05:24:01 AM

If you want lacquer then SMS do an RAAF Foliage Green.  Good luck getting it posted anywhere outside Australia though.

SMS is available in the UK now so may well be elsewhere ?

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 26, 2021, 06:21:10 AM

Well that's good news.  It's good paint.
Always good to see a local business thriving.
Fred

rickshaw

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 26, 2021, 06:21:10 AM

It's available downunder. I have a bottle of it that I bought as an experiment but I have yet to use it.  I don't know how to use it...   :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

AeroplaneDriver

So I began reading a thread on Britmodeler about the subject of RAAF Foliage Green, and ended up down a rabbit hole of people who clearly have far too much time on their hands and care far too deeply about a color that was formulated in a hurry as an approximate replacement for paints that were not available at the time.  Some of those folks get very...passionate...

Anyhoo, decided to just look through my paint rack an try a few that might look close enough for my eye. 

What do you guys think about this one on the rudder of my A-4 Paint Mule?  It could probably stand to be darkened a tad but to me it looks close to 'right'. 

AeroplaneDriver

One of the websites I was looking at recommended (in acrylics) Vallejo's Gunship Green.  I have some of this and its not a bad match (by my eyes anyway).

The above photo is Vallejo Gunship Green.  I think it works well enough for what I want.