Gorbunov Go-3 Кобра

Started by TomZ, June 04, 2021, 11:29:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomZ

Gorbunov Go-3 Кобра

The Soviet Union received more than 4.700 P-39 AiraCobra's under the lend lease agreements. The Soviets liked the P-39 for it's heavy canon armament but thought the mid-engine arrangement to be unnecessarily complicated. So when they started to receive the P-63 KingCobra the designer Vladimir Gorbunov got the task to redesign this to a front engine variant.

The Gorbunov Go-3 first flew in 1944 and proved marginally faster than the P-63. The aircraft did have some stability problems however caused by the relocation of the engine to the front.

Only 113 aircraft were produced.

Model: MPM 1/72

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

comrade harps

Whatever.

Old Wombat

That's got to be one very slim-line engine & gearbox. :o

Neat mod, though! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Tophe

unusual (for a P-39) and beautiful --> perfect :wub:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

TomZ

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 04, 2021, 06:42:02 PM
That's got to be one very slim-line engine & gearbox. :o

Neat mod, though! :thumbsup:

The nose is 1-on-1 taken from an Airfix Defiant model so it should be wide enough.

TomZ

Dizzyfugu

I like that, even though I am bit skeptical about the space under the engine for the landing gear well?

However, reminds me of a P-39 conversion project on the list that I should tackle some day...

Tophe

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on June 05, 2021, 02:19:38 AM
I am bit skeptical about the space under the engine for the landing gear well?
In the whif world, room availability is simply magic... everything is possible, and even more <_<
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Dizzyfugu

Hmmm, I feel inclined to borrow the "Gorbunov" name for the aforementioned P-39 conversion - it just made it onto the work bench, to become the Go-1...  :rolleyes:

TomZ

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on June 08, 2021, 11:41:17 PM
Hmmm, I feel inclined to borrow the "Gorbunov" name for the aforementioned P-39 conversion - it just made it onto the work bench, to become the Go-1...  :rolleyes:

:thumbsup:

Gorbunov was an engineer in the Lavochkin bureau. He was one of the G's in the LaGG designations like LaGG-1 and LaGG-3.

The other G BTW was Mihail Ivanovich Gudkov who created the Gudkov Gu-1 which looked very much like a P-39........:

TomZ

kitbasher

Also an air of Macchi surrounding that design (to me at least).  I think its the fin/rudder.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter