Scottish Airforce BAC Ligtning, May 2024

Started by nönöbär, May 30, 2021, 03:38:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nönöbär

Scottish Airforce BAC Ligtning, May 2024

The plane

After the Brexit and the Scottish independence shortly after it, Scotland needed its own military. With patrolling British Jets near the south border and Russian aircraft approaching the North Sea coast, Scotland required an air force.
However, getting some jets was expensive and time consuming and while the Scottish Aviation aircraft company at Prestwick started research for updating some older F16 acquired by the US Air force, immediate help came form a totally unexpected side.

Angus MacIntosh, a collector of military equipment, offered the Scottish government a collection twelve BAC Lightnings he had bought from the RAF when the plane was decommissioned in the 1980s. Restored and refurbished, the aircraft were part of its huge collection and were in almost flying condition.

True, the Lightnings were outdated planes, but their speed and mission profile made them the perfect interceptor against the Russian aircraft approaching the coastline. After an intense discussion in the Scottish parliament, the government decided to accept MacIntoshs offer and the aircraft entered service soon after.
Only 8 of the Lightnings were reactivated, the remaining four were used for spare parts. Russian pilots were quite surprised when they were welcomed by the Lightnings after they went into service and, soon the numbers Russian aircraft sent to the Scottish coast were strongly reduced.

With their great intercept performance, the Lightnings even stayed active after the introduction of more modern aircraft like the F16AT (see https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,46234.0.html)

The model shows a BAC Lightning of the Scottish Airforce in May 2024.

The model

The model was a OOB build of a very old Airfix 1/72 Lightning model, with a different paint scheme and self made Scottish decals.
Daily updates from my engineer: https://twitter.com/Scratchbr1

--------------------
German Naval History               : www.german-navy.de
Bärenreisen                             : www.barenurlaub.de

zenrat

The old original Airfix kit?  Good job!

:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

It must be the re-hashed kit though, the original kit was an F1, and Nonobar's Scottish model is an F3, with the big fin and Red Tops.

It looks terrific.  :thumbsup:

It's still old though.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Tophe

Quote from: nönöbär on May 30, 2021, 03:38:17 AM
True, the Lightnings were outdated planes
BAC Lightning of the Scottish Airforce in May 2024.
Ahem, wikipedia tells me that the Lightning's first flight occurred in 1954, 70 years before 2024...  maybe to be used now with 90 y.o. veteran pilots feeling young again ;D
what-if ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Captain Canada

Neat idea. And who wouldn't love to see them back in the air ! Love the tail.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Scotaidh

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 30, 2021, 04:08:28 AM
It must be the re-hashed kit though, the original kit was an F1, and Nonobar's Scottish model is an F3, with the big fin and Red Tops.

It looks terrific.  :thumbsup:

It's still old though.  ;D

"Old" doesn't "mean past it," young feller me-lad.  :) 

If I was to be given a gov't funded job of refurbishing the old girl, I'd start with more fuel-efficient engines - maybe the TurboUnions from recently retired Tornadoes. 

All-new wiring/data harness, re-done electronics to bring her into the 22nd century - there must be a new radar that would fit - I'd give Elbit that job.  If not, make the nose solid for that and change the intakes to something swiped from the F-105. 

Up-rate the missiles and change the undercarriage - I'd go with something like wot the A-7/F-8 have, and put that into the belly tank.  That frees up the wings for weapons carrying ... and I'd see about some F-15E-style conformal fuel tanks.

Lots to do, to modernize the Lightning - but with enough sponduliks it could be done.  :)

And, those are just my ideas ....
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Pellson

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Dizzyfugu