Hawker Seaphoon Mk-I

Started by TomZ, May 21, 2021, 11:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomZ

Hawker Seaphoon Mk-I

In 1941 the Royal Navy was in need of a new attack aircraft. The ageing Swordfish was too slow and its successors, the Albacore and Barracuda proved to be not much better. The Royal Navy tested various aircraft and was impressed with the performance of the Hawker Typhoon which was entering service with the RAF. Deck trials however showed that forward visibility from the cockpit of the Typhoon was inadequate. This made them discard the Typhoon as a possible candidate.

The Hawker company however, offered to modify the Typhoon to make it suitable for carrier operations. This became the Hawker P-1017. The modifications included moving the cockpit to the front and the engine to the middle of the aircraft. Also, the tail and undercarriage were strengthened to take an arrester hook and deck landings.

The first prototype of the Sea Typhoon was flown in June 1942 and extensive tests were conducted. In the middle of 1943 the aircraft entered service with the Royal Navy, operating from various carriers. The aircraft was also used by the Canadian and Australian Navy. Very quickly "Sea Typhoon" became "Seaphoon".

The Seaphoon was used as a low-level attack aircraft, armed with canon, bombs and rockets. The Seaphoon was so successful that the same modification was also done to the Hawker Tempest. This however was not ordered by the Royal Navy as they decided to wait for the new Firebrand and Spearfish attack fighters. The delay in these aircraft meant that the Seaphoon soldiered on until 1949.

Model: Hasegawa 1/48

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

JayBee

You Know that strikes me as a bloody silly idea, but it might just have worked.  :thumbsup:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

kitnut617

That's very nice Tom  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

As you might know, I really like the mid-engine concept (I've made a few models like that), and the only comment I'd make is maybe the engine would be a little closer to the front.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

TomZ

Quote from: kitnut617 on May 21, 2021, 11:38:58 AM
As you might know, I really like the mid-engine concept (I've made a few models like that)

There will be another middle engine in a little while. Almost finished  ;)

TomZ

kitnut617

Quote from: TomZ on May 21, 2021, 11:43:15 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on May 21, 2021, 11:38:58 AM
As you might know, I really like the mid-engine concept (I've made a few models like that)

There will be another middle engine in a little while. Almost finished  ;)

TomZ

I'm looking forward to seeing it  :thumbsup:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitbasher

Top notch, Tom  :thumbsup:

You do know of the Hawker P.1009, do you?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

comrade harps

I like it. It's suitably beefy and kind of ungainly for WW2 era FAA. I can imagine it being a post-war French creation, too.

:thumbsup:
Whatever.

TomZ

Quote from: kitbasher on May 21, 2021, 01:45:33 PM
You do know of the Hawker P.1009, do you?

Yes, I do. But that was too RW to use as a designation  ;)

TomZ

Dizzyfugu

https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=28647.0

Nice build, even though the slender fuselage with the engine behind the cockpit looks odd to me. But the mived cockpit is great (and a suitable idea, too).  :thumbsup:

SPINNERS

Brilliant 'what if' modelling. Well done.

Hotte

Tophe

Good idea! :thumbsup:
And well done from this idea! :wub:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

That's really nice Tom.  :thumbsup:

I to have a soft spot for mid-engined types like Kitbasher so I'm looking forward to what comes next
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Caveman

Very good! I've tried to do something similar to a spitfire but without success.
secretprojects forum migrant