Recce and Surveillance GB - General Discussion

Started by NARSES2, May 11, 2021, 07:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Gentlemen

Once the Moderators are happy this will be the place for any general chit chat to do with the GB, but for your information The Recce and Surveillance GB will run from 00:01 Thursday 1 July 2021 to 23:59 Thursday 30 September 2021 (all times local)

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TomZ

Topic unlocked in preparation of the start of the group build in one month time.

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

zenrat

My initial thoughts for this one are both aircraft.
1) Cold war spy plane - a small jet with very long wings.  Inspired by Eric's F111 with B29 wings.
2) WW2 Recce plane - Asymmetric flying wing.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Pellson

Quote from: zenrat on June 01, 2021, 05:07:22 AM.  ..Inspired by Eric's F111 with B29 wings..

Yeah, that build does deserve some spin-offs.   :thumbsup:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

PR19_Kit

Plonk some B-36 wings on it?  ;D

This GB is going to end up with a sub-title of 'The Long Wing GB' I know.  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Mine will be an Armée de l'Air 1940's Tactical Reconnaissance/FAC type
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

I have two or three aircraft projects in The Stash™ that qualify for this GB, ranging from WWII to (more or less) modern times.

kerick

I was going to build an F-5/T-38 with U-2 wings "some day". Looks like I have a reason to build it in July! At least I already have the F-5 kit. I think I will have to make the wings, probably from one long piece of plastic. A U-2 in 1/72nd scale seems to be hard to find.
I would really like to finish the Seahog first if life would just get out of the way!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Rheged

I wonder???  I have a very elderly Airfix Heron kit in the deep stash........could it possibly become a Swedish/Finnish/Danish civilian feeder airliner operating around the Baltic with odd hatch covers on the underside?    Or perhaps operating between Calcutta and Bangkok.......or even  in the Levant?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kerick on June 01, 2021, 08:03:59 AM

A U-2 in 1/72nd scale seems to be hard to find.

Yes, they're pretty thin on the ground at the moment, both Airfix and Minicraft versions.

It occurs to me that I may be the cause of that shortage............  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 01, 2021, 09:32:00 AM
Quote from: kerick on June 01, 2021, 08:03:59 AM

A U-2 in 1/72nd scale seems to be hard to find.

Yes, they're pretty thin on the ground at the moment, both Airfix and Minicraft versions.

It occurs to me that I may be the cause of that shortage............  ;)

So plenty of fuselages in the spares box but no wings, then?

IIRC Special Hobby did a TR-1/U-2R.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kerick

I'll probably just cut and sand one long piece of plastic or even balsa to make both wings out of one piece. Less chance of snapping one off down the road. Plenty of random drop tanks for wing pods.
It would be a poor man's/poor country's U-2. Maybe a two seater with the guy in back with a Polaroid camera and a note pad.
Now is a time to consider paint and markings so I don't get so stuck at paint time. Maybe a Norwegian ac patrolling the long border with those nefarious Swedes.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on June 01, 2021, 10:20:47 AM

So plenty of fuselages in the spares box but no wings, then?

IIRC Special Hobby did a TR-1/U-2R.

Something like that, yes. I have one of those SH ones too, and a wingless Rareplanes vacform TR1, and a High Planes TR1 as well, in BLUE styrene!

Regards
Kit

kerick

What about ground pounder recce?
When Sweden retired the S tank I always thought they should have turned it into some sort of scout vehicle. Driven by a femme fatale.
Tophe the Wise

Weaver

Thinking about long-winged-things, a recce Wellesley struck me as a possibility.

Much uprated engine (Sabre? Centaurus? There was a Wellesley-Hercules testbed IRL).

Gunner replaced by a 'slave' engine (Kestrel) driving a huge blower for high-altitude work (IRL suggestion from Avro and maybe Vickers too).

Pressure cabin with a tiny dome for the pilot. (Vickers did a lot of work on pressure cabins).

On S-tanks, I recall seeing a series of pics years ago featuring them being posed on by 'femme fatales', but even if I could find them, they were not for posting on family websites... :o
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones