Recce and Surveillance GB - Rules

Started by NARSES2, May 11, 2021, 07:34:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Gentlemen once the Moderators are happy with things I will open this up for discussion so here are the first draft for the rules for the Recce and Surveillance GB.

Chris

RECCE & SURVEILLANCE GB RULES

1.   The Recce and Surveillance GB runs from 00:01 Thursday 1 July 2021 to 23:59 Thursday 30 September 2021 (all times local).  An extension may or may not be considered/set up according to demand and or pecuniary overtures.

2.   Any subject - physical models of any scale, profiles and stories are eligible but they must be a whif devoted to reconnaissance: manned/unmanned (aircraft, vehicles, ships, submarines, robots.....even animals), land/sea/air/space.  Photo recce, fighter recce, maritime reconnaissance, ELINT, SIGINT, artillery spotters, drones....etc.  Basically, stuff to find out what's going on somewhere.   Can be as simple (change of markings or camo scheme) or as complex (full on kit bashing) as you wish.  If in doubt as to what's in scope then check out (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reconnaissance), if still in doubt contact the Mods.

3)  You may build, draw or write as many entries as you like (good luck!).  The posting of in-progress pictures is encouraged as always.  Back stories - however long or short - supporting physical models and profiles are always welcome.

4) "Preparation" work is allowed prior to the start of the GB - this includes the cutting out and cleaning up of parts, even designing and printing your own decals, but anything involving paint or glue is not allowed.

5) Eligibility of part-started models will be considered by the moderators. You should pm to explain what you have done (pictures re a great help if you can include them) and they will decide, their decision being final.

6) No rule 6 - is there ever a rule 6 ? It's one rule or another so from now on it's 6

7) Moderator is TomZ aided and abetted by Kitbasher. Thank you gents

8.   The completed builds thread will be locked at the end of the GB and shortly afterwards the poll will be set up.  Number of votes each depends on the number of entries.  Keep your eyes out for updates!

9) As decided earlier in the year by the Membership the first three placed entries in the Group Build will automatically be nominated for a Whiffy in a new, specific Group Build Class.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TomZ

Topic unlocked in preparation of the start of the group build in one month time.

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

zenrat

Can I propose Rule 2a:  Aircraft models must have longer wings.  If no longer wings are fitted then it is required that the fuselage be shortened.
;)
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

McColm

Oooh I've been told that I will be discharged from hospital this week, so I can use this as part of my recovery plan.

TomZ

Quote from: zenrat on June 01, 2021, 04:10:37 AM
Can I propose Rule 2a:  Aircraft models must have longer wings.  If no longer wings are fitted then it is required that the fuselage be shortened.
;)

Should your forum name be changed to PR19Zen then?

TomZ

Pellson

Quote from: McColm on June 01, 2021, 04:46:59 AM
Oooh I've been told that I will be discharged from hospital this week, so I can use this as part of my recovery plan.

Best news today!!  :wub:

Re the longer wings - I vote against since any tactical recon bird will be fast and agile down in the weed, something you're not if you have massive wings.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TomZ on June 01, 2021, 05:24:33 AM
Quote from: zenrat on June 01, 2021, 04:10:37 AM
;)

Should your forum name be changed to PR19Zen then?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: Pellson on June 01, 2021, 06:07:09 AM

Best news today!!  :wub:

Re the longer wings - I vote against since any tactical recon bird will be fast and agile down in the weed, something you're not if you have massive wings.

Yeah, and like the airliners the RAF used when flying into Berlin ---- 
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Flyer

Doubtful I'll be taking part, but one never knows... Would a F.A.C aircraft count?
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

TomZ

Quote from: Flyer on June 01, 2021, 07:18:29 AM
Doubtful I'll be taking part, but one never knows... Would a F.A.C aircraft count?

After long and careful deliberation the supreme council of moderators have decided that pure F.A.C. aircraft are not allowed in this group build according to the rules. FAC is principally engaged to ensure weapons land on an enemy target not one's own forces.  FACs work on the ground or on the air directing weapons drops, they're not recce assets.

See also: https://wikimili.com/en/Forward_air_control#:~:text=Forward%20air%20control%20is%20the%20provision%20of%20guidance,out%20by%20a%20forward%20air%20controller%20%28FAC%29.%20%5B2%5D

TomZ

kerick

That's great news! Whiff therapy!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Flyer

Quote from: TomZ on June 01, 2021, 10:36:13 AM
Quote from: Flyer on June 01, 2021, 07:18:29 AM
After long and careful deliberation the supreme council of moderators have decided that pure F.A.C. aircraft are not allowed in this group build according to the rules. FAC is principally engaged to ensure weapons land on an enemy target not one's own forces.  FACs work on the ground or on the air directing weapons drops, they're not recce assets.

See also: https://wikimili.com/en/Forward_air_control#:~:text=Forward%20air%20control%20is%20the%20provision%20of%20guidance,out%20by%20a%20forward%20air%20controller%20%28FAC%29.%20%5B2%5D

TomZ
OK :thumbsup:

The F.A.C I was thinking about would be for a mercenary air force to not only mark target's but monitor and follow the enemy's movements also, but considering I don't have a suitable kit yet or be likely to obtain one before the GB I'm not really sure why I felt it was important to ask anyway...

Shouldn't artillery spotters also be out too then? They are mentioned in rule 2...
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

Weaver

With respect to ground vehicles, a lot are dual-role: for instance, some 'recce' armoured cars have pretty hefty guns (AML-90...) and have roles including screening, fire-support and flank protection in addition to recce. An M3 Bradley 'recce' vehicle is externally almost indistinguishable from an M2 'fighting' vehicle, including the TOW missiles, sp where do you draw the line?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

loupgarou

Quote from: Weaver on June 02, 2021, 01:57:18 AM
With respect to ground vehicles, a lot are dual-role: for instance, some 'recce' armoured cars have pretty hefty guns (AML-90...) and have roles including screening, fire-support and flank protection in addition to recce. An M3 Bradley 'recce' vehicle is externally almost indistinguishable from an M2 'fighting' vehicle, including the TOW missiles, sp where do you draw the line?

"An officer in the turret with binoculars is mandatory"   ;D  ;D
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

TomZ

Quote from: Weaver on June 02, 2021, 01:57:18 AM
where do you draw the line?

A lot will depend on the back story, I think.
I propose that if you have any specific questions you pm the moderators. Talking in general terms will only confuse matters further I'm afraid.
If you give an example of what you want to build, we will judge that with a positive outlook  ;D

And let's not forget: This group build is supposed to be FUN!

TomZ & Kitbasher