One Week Build 2021 General Discussion

Started by NARSES2, May 11, 2021, 07:19:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Gentlemen

This is the place for your general chit chat etc

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Bugger - I've just realised that I can't get the whole week off work. Our company's introduced new rules to stop people taking COVID-accumulated leave all at once, and you now have to give SIX WEEK's notice if you want more that three days off in row.

Not too bad though: if I book the Mon-Tue-Wed off, then hopefully I'll be painting by Thursday, so there'd be long paint-drying times when I couldn't do anything anyway, and Friday's an early finish.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

zenrat

Chuck a sicky on the Thursday and Friday.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on May 12, 2021, 04:40:28 AM

Can't: I've already had two genuine sickies since I restarted in January. One more and it's a disciplinary: not neccessarily something to worry about (they understand that shnitz happens) but I'd rather not go there if I don't have to...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones '

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: Weaver on May 12, 2021, 06:34:11 AM
Quote from: zenrat on May 12, 2021, 04:40:28 AM

Can't: I've already had two genuine sickies since I restarted in January. One more and it's a disciplinary: not neccessarily something to worry about (they understand that shnitz happens) but I'd rather not go there if I don't have to...

You would think the whole experience of the past 15 months would have put a stop to disciplinary action for sick calls.  Even after a global pandemic some companies make people feel threatened to the point they will come to work when ill. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

TomZ

I'm probably missing something here. But disciplinary action after a sick call? Here in Holland the company would probably be disbanded if they tried something like that........

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Pellson

Quote from: TomZ on May 13, 2021, 11:27:18 AM
I'm probably missing something here. But disciplinary action after a sick call? Here in Holland the company would probably be disbanded if they tried something like that........

TomZ

As would they in Sweden.

But different countries have different rules. In Denmark, it's perfectly legal to get rid of sick people with very little warning nowadays despite not always having been so. However, more voters prefer (slightly) lower taxes over better sick insurance systems, considering that they voted for the government that changed this. And that's democracy.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

zenrat

How strong are the unions in your workplace H?  And if they are there do they serve the workers or merely politic and ego-stroke?

Coincidentally* this week falls in the first week of two weeks of leave I had already booked.  I am supposed to be building a gazebo during that time but I am sure I can slip in a model build,
An aircraft from the Haesgawa stash I think.

* "there are no coincidences"  Robert Anton Wilson.  I suspect Chris has been looking in my calendar.
Paranoid?  Moi?   :o
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

AeroplaneDriver

I officially finish my A320 Instructor training next Tuesday, meaning I am turned loose unsupervised on my victims, and more importantly ai get to bid for my June schedule instead of having a training schedule assigned.  I'll make sure to plan at least 4 days off thar week.  Always one of my favorite GBs. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Weaver

Cheers for the concern folks. As I said, the 'disciplinary' is not neccessarily something to worry about. What happens is that three periods of sickness in a year trigger an automatic flag, which in turn triggers a mandatory interview. It's called a 'disciplinary' because that's the overall name for the whole system, but it isn't automatically a 'trial for your job'. In the first instance it's a one-on-one interview with your supervisor where you go over what happened and what you can do about it. Evidence (like prescriptions and doctor's appointments) may be asked for. It's more a matter of them finding out what's going on with you rather than a bollocking, and things only go further if this doesn't satisfy them.

The reason I don't want one if I can avoid it is that I was only re-hired in January so I'm technically still 'on probation' even though I'd worked there for three years previously. If I was actually genuinely ill, it wouldn't stop me from phoning in sick though.

The union at work (Unite) is fairly new (only got in about three years ago) but has done quite well in pay negotiations so far. I don't know how well they do with individual situations, and they're up to their eyeballs in pay negs at the moment.

- Indiana Jones '

Weaver

Anyway, modelling...

I had a keen idea for this 1WGB, based on a model I was sure I had, but having worked the idea up, I now find that i haven't got the model after all: think i must have decided I didn't need it and sold it at some point... :banghead:

In real life, the reconstituted post-war German army put various bits of WWII equipment back into production, notably the MG-42 machine-gun (rechambered for NATO 7.62mm and rechristened the MG3) and the P-38 pistol. My idea was that they'd taken this a bit further. They were very keen on 8x8 armoured cars in WWII, and they got keen on them again in the 1970s with the Luchs, so what if they filled the gap in between with a re-introduced version of the Sdkfz.234 Puma? The 50mm gun wasn't a NATO standard so they replace it with a 20mm as seen on real German AFVs of the period, add period smoke dischargers and post-war lights and off you go.

A 1950s armoured car wasn't that different to a 1940s one anyway. If you take a look at a Saladin and see how many diagnostically post-war features you can find, it's a short list. Most of the distinctive stuff like electro-optics came in later.

I've butchered both a Marder and a Luchs for other projects, which means I have Rh.202 barrels and Wegmann smoke pots to spare. The only trouble is, my 1/72nd Puma is gone. I've got a 1/76th one, but I suspect the difference matters...

- Indiana Jones '

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on May 13, 2021, 04:19:50 PM

Coincidentally* this week falls in the first week of two weeks of leave I had already booked.  I am supposed to be building a gazebo during that time but I am sure I can slip in a model build,
An aircraft from the Haesgawa stash I think.

* "there are no coincidences"  Robert Anton Wilson.  I suspect Chris has been looking in my calendar.
Paranoid?  Moi?   :o

Not directly but the "Net" is particularly active Down Under  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

Quote from: Weaver on May 14, 2021, 01:51:24 AM
Anyway, modelling...

I had a keen idea for this 1WGB, based on a model I was sure I had, but having worked the idea up, I now find that i haven't got the model after all: think i must have decided I didn't need it and sold it at some point... :banghead:

In real life, the reconstituted post-war German army put various bits of WWII equipment back into production, notably the MG-42 machine-gun (rechambered for NATO 7.62mm and rechristened the MG3) and the P-38 pistol. My idea was that they'd taken this a bit further. They were very keen on 8x8 armoured cars in WWII, and they got keen on them again in the 1970s with the Luchs, so what if they filled the gap in between with a re-introduced version of the Sdkfz.234 Puma? The 50mm gun wasn't a NATO standard so they replace it with a 20mm as seen on real German AFVs of the period, add period smoke dischargers and post-war lights and off you go.

A 1950s armoured car wasn't that different to a 1940s one anyway. If you take a look at a Saladin and see how many diagnostically post-war features you can find, it's a short list. Most of the distinctive stuff like electro-optics came in later.

I've butchered both a Marder and a Luchs for other projects, which means I have Rh.202 barrels and Wegmann smoke pots to spare. The only trouble is, my 1/72nd Puma is gone. I've got a 1/76th one, but I suspect the difference matters...

This proposal of yours has given me an idea.  Assume that the Alvis Saladin was updated and in use until at least the First Gulf War.   I have a couple of Saladins in the stash..................
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Weaver

Quote from: Rheged on May 14, 2021, 11:52:11 AM
Quote from: Weaver on May 14, 2021, 01:51:24 AM
Anyway, modelling...

This proposal of yours has given me an idea.  Assume that the Alvis Saladin was updated and in use until at least the First Gulf War.   I have a couple of Saladins in the stash..................

The Saladin was ripe for an upgrade. If the Scorpion's tiny turret could be upgunned with a 90mm Cockerill gun, I see no reason why the Saladin's couldn't also.

- Indiana Jones '

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Weaver on May 14, 2021, 03:04:00 PM

The Saladin was ripe for an upgrade. If the Scorpion's tiny turret could be upgunned with a 90mm Cockerill gun, I see no reason why the Saladin's couldn't also.

Why not a complete new turret?
Something a bit more modern to replace the funny-angled, slab-sided thingy.
Would the Commando's 90mm turret be in the right time-frame?