Tornado F Mk 5

Started by Pellson, May 10, 2021, 08:15:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pellson

When the RAF finally declared the interceptor variant of the Tornado, the F Mk 2, operational in 1986, it was after a rather protracted development, and unfortunately, it turned out not to be as operational as hoped for, not least due to the inoperable radar that limited weapons carriage to two short range IR homing Sidewinder missiles. However, as soon as the F Mk 3 was fielded, many of the initial shortcomings were rectified. Most importantly, the new mark carried four semiactive radarhoming Skyflash missiles, a significantly improved derivative of the American Sparrow missile with better homing, more ECM resistance and longer range. In time, the system matured further and in the beginning of the 21st century, the then current Stage 3 standard F Mk 3 was armed with the C-5 standard AMRAAM and ASRAAM missiles, a mature and capable Foxhunter radar which had automatic track-while-scan, JTIDS data link, secure radios, better identification systems and capable electronic warfare equipment including a radar homing and warning receiver, towed radar decoy, chaff and flares and a Phimat chaff pod when needed. The situation awareness enjoyed by the crews was, arguably, better than even the latest generation American platforms. Regrettably, the RB199 turbofans inherited from its ground attack near sister meant that it still lacked the performance when carrying its role equipment. In particular, this was evident when carrying the big 2250 litre "Hindenburger" tanks in the upper air, forcing use of afterburners for most maneuvers.

As the deliveries were delayed of the intended replacement, the Eurofighter Typhoon, the air defence force had to carry on with their Tornadoes longer than expected. This meant however that a major fleet wide refurbishment was deemed necessary to guarantee flight hours for the remaining time in service, and when planning these works, a decision was taken to take the opportunity to not only zero the airframes, but actually reinforce them to be able to handle more violent maneuvering at speed. Also, an AESA radar replaced the Foxhunter giving longer detection range but also the opportunity to not only control up to twelve missiles while still scanning for more targets, but also to simultaneously perform active ECM, and doing so integrated with the other onboard and podded systems. While the Tornado never could carry twelve AMRAAMs on its own, its standard loadout henceforth was to be six AMRAAMs and two short range ASRAAMs, emphasising the standoff intercept character of the Tornado system.
At this time, it was noted that the Eurofighter programme had a rather hefty stockpile of already built but not yet installed EJ200 engines lying around. This came from the fact that the engine programme was on track while the airframe and integration lagged desperately. Seeing an opportunity, a quick decision was made to transfer these early delivered engines to the Tornado refurbishment programme, finally providing the oomph sadly lacking in the original powerpack. To maintain the power reverser over the longer afterburner on the new engine, telescopically extended guide arms were fitted that allowed the reverser plates to move and close as previously.

The resulting F Mk 5 entered service in 2009, quickly setting a new standard in long range intercepts over the North Sea and GIUK gap. The new engines weren't only more powerful, but also leaner on fuel, increasing combat radius and time on station. When intercepting fast targets such as the Tu-160, the new ability for sustained MACH 2 flight came in handy. Also, the new radar significantly increased the reach and lethality of the system, making mock combat exercises with both American and French counterparts a rather one-sided affair, at least until the Americans fielded improved radar systems in their F-15's.

While never a dogfighter, the reinforced wing box together with the almost 25% more powerful engines made the Tornado at least able to hold its own also in close quarters, but the tactics was always to as far as possible fight from a distance, and if lured into a turning game, try to evade and use the superior power to get out ASAP.
When deliveries of the Typhoon eventually commenced, the Tornado still lingered on in limited numbers for quite a while, finally leaving service in 2018 when no 11 Sqn flew the last QRA missions with the type before being reassigned on the Typhoon. The new fighter was however a single-seater, and the RAF fighter community came to miss the extra pair of eyes and hands when fighting a skilled enemy in the air, as well as the larger crowds in the bar debriefings.

The kit is the Italeri Tornado ADV. I think it turns out a nice looking Tornado, but for the ejection seats which are abominable. They can be somewhat improved – if you remember to do it in time, which I didn't.
The main change is obviously the new afterburner cans at the extreme rear. They are shortened somewhat to fit properly and come from Airfix horrible but oh-so-cheap Eurofighter Typhoon, a kit that also supplied all missiles. The big tanks come from the equally horrendous Airfix Tornado F3, as do the decals. No 5 sqn is actually my favourite Tornado scheme, the others being somewhat boring in comparison, so it's good that Airfix has them.
Generally, the build was straightforward. There are some areas you have to watch out for, in particular the fron fuselage where the horizontal split will make ugly seams, but apart from that, it's pretty OK. To fit the new cans, I judgingly grinded down the RB199 cans until they were where I wanted the, then grinded the new EJ200 cans from the other end to meet up. Not difficult as such, but you have to take care to keep the mating surfaces straight, or you will get unaligned engines.
Another neverending chore was the everbreaking pitot tube. I think this is the fifth, or possibly even sixth iteration, and to be honest - it could look better. However, having accidentally broken it again and again, right now, I'm pretty happy that there is one at all..

This project came to me as I read an interview with former RAF navigator David Gledhill. He has flown both the Phantom and the Tornado F3 and points out the engines as being the main weak point of the late issue "stage 3" Tornado, something I thought I could rectify. Plus a little else, of course, when at it..
The interview can be found here:
https://hushkit.net/2016/05/01/interceptor-how-how-to-fight-survive-in-phantom-and-tornado/
I've always thought the sleek F.3 looks a bit cut off in the rear, but this sorted it nicely. This really is what the RAF should have done.

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Dizzyfugu

Nicely done! :lol: Kit and me did something similar some moons ago - the "updated 'nado interceptor" story seems to be too good to be ignored.  ;)

https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=45689.msg822641#msg822641 (many pics in the post gone due to updates - FlickR unfortunately changes the URLs when you edit/replace pics online)

Funny freak fact: mine was/is also a 5 Squadron aircraft, but with more subdued markings. Also had new engines, but as a subtle/disturbing extra I transplanted the air intakes from a MiG-23.  ;D

1:72 Panavia "Tornado F.6"; aircraft "ZF205/CG" of the Royal Air Force 5 Squadron; RAF Cranwell, summer 2018 (Whif/modified Italeri kit)
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Not certain what became of Kit's Mk. 5?

Pellson

Thanks, Dizzy. I remember your F.6 but it always seemed a bit backwards to me with the older type of intake. Plus that I wanted to stay as close to Gledhills view as possible, just for fun.
But this really is a very very good example on how cool it is with different takes on the same subject. We see different possibilities and limitations, reaching different conclusions - and they're all equally valid. I really, really enjoy this aspect of whiffing.

But you do paint a lot better than I do.  :wub:

Hobbes

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Glenn Gilbertson

A good idea - I like it! :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on May 10, 2021, 08:34:00 AM

Not certain what became of Kit's Mk. 5?

I am, it's still sitting on the 'Unfinished Projects' shelf waiting for me to finish the INTERMINABLE PSR that's needed on the extended fuselage.  :banghead:

Plus I need to find a way to keep the tailplanes actually attached to the rest of the airframe.............. :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

You guys are/have stolen my idea for an updated Tornado!
Not really, mine would be Canadian patrolling the great white north instead of F-18As. I was thinking of extending the fuselage even more than from the GR series for more fuel plus Hindenburg tanks.

The new engines are a great touch. The MiG 23 intakes on Dizzy's build are very interesting. Great work all around.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Pellson

Quote from: kerick on May 10, 2021, 08:46:58 PM
Not really, mine would be Canadian patrolling the great white north instead of F-18As. I was thinking of extending the fuselage even more than from the GR series for more fuel plus Hindenburg tanks.

Get it built!! I want to see more Tornadoes!!

Dizzyfugu

Me too! It's always interesting to see individual interpretations of similar/same ideas!  ;D

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Pellson on May 10, 2021, 08:42:50 AM
But you do paint a lot better than I do.  :wub:

Thanks a lot, but (pls.) do not look too closely at this one. There was a major accident with the upper grey, and I saved the situation through embracing the mess and using it for weathering effects...  :rolleyes:

Old Wombat

Nice work, Pellson, but Clean ... FAR too Clean! :o

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Pellson

Quote from: Old Wombat on May 11, 2021, 12:19:55 AM
Nice work, Pellson, but Clean ... FAR too Clean! :o

I know, I know. I'm not really good at weathering though. Need classes. Dizzy?  ;)

PR19_Kit

For some reason F3 Tonkas always look spiffier than GR4s.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Scotaidh

Quote from: kerick on May 10, 2021, 08:46:58 PM

The new engines are a great touch. The MiG 23 intakes are interesting on Dizzy's build are very interesting. Great work all around.

Hmmm - I just had an idea whilst reading your post, Kerick.  Maybe you could incorporate Arrow parts into it?  :)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."