RW FRADU Hunter GA.11

Started by AeroplaneDriver, April 20, 2021, 01:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

My latest effort...Airfix 1/48 Hunter F.4 built as something I have wanted to build for a long time.  A Royal Navy Hunter.  I considered Whiffing it into a carrier capable fighter, but I think I may do that with one of my Revell 1/72 kits so I can use some of Colin's resin extras on it. 

Since the GA.11 was a conversion of the F.4 I assumed it would be an easy modification, but it was even easier than expected when I discovered that Airfix have secretly included the parts to make a GA.11 in the box.  Main changes from the F.4 was the dogtooth leading edge wing, an arrestor hook for land-based training catching 'the wire', removal of the cannon pack and "Sabrinas", and the Harley light in the chopped-off nose.  All these parts were right there in the box, which was a very pleasant surprise.  Cannon troughs were filled with Milliput, but left visible since the real thing had the cannons covered with a metal plate and still apparent.  The only aftermarket addition is a resin seat with Eduard PE firing handles.  Decals are a mix of the kit decals for roundels and stencils and various spares including from Xtradecal's white RAF letters and numbers sheet.  It was a little frustrating that I could not find large enough decals for the "834" nose number so it's a bit smaller than on the real thing, but I'm not losing sleep over it.

Anyway here she is as XE716 as it appeared in the late 70s serving with FRADU at Yeovilton.  This particular aircraft was destroyed in 1983 when it suffered an engine failure at low altitude over the sea.  The pilot ejected safely. 

Overall a really nice kit.  It's a word of difference compared to Academy's offering.  While Academy's is an 'ok' kit that can be built up quite nicely this one makes the job a whole lot easier.  The way the wings go together is especially nice.  I'll be adding more to the shelf in time. 

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Captain Canada

Great job as always Nick. Love that scheme. And thanks for pointing out the differences, learn somat new every day ! Cheers

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Pellson

Beautiful. It's easy to forget how nice the lovely lines of the Hunter marries the strict camo scheme of the FAA.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on April 20, 2021, 09:55:25 PM
Beautiful. It's easy to forget how nice the lovely lines of the Hunter marries the strict camo scheme of the FAA.

Exactly what I was thinking. A truly gorgeous aircraft  :wub: Great piece of work  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Very well done, I like the subtle weathering a lot.  :thumbsup:

Glenn Gilbertson

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

AeroplaneDriver

Thanks chaps! 

A lovely little kit that I highly recommend for all manner of Real World or Wiffery fun. 

kitbasher

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 21, 2021, 06:20:38 AM
Quote from: Pellson on April 20, 2021, 09:55:25 PM

Exactly what I was thinking. A truly gorgeous aircraft  :wub: Great piece of work  :bow:

Totes 👍
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Knightflyer

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on April 22, 2021, 08:44:58 PM
Thanks chaps! 

A lovely little kit that I highly recommend for all manner of Real World or Wiffery fun.

I suppose a question to ask is whether Colin (Freightdog) can be persuaded to release all (or some) of his various 1/72nd Hunter conversions in 1/48th scale?
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: Knightflyer on April 23, 2021, 03:56:13 AM
Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on April 22, 2021, 08:44:58 PM
Thanks chaps! 

I suppose a question to ask is whether Colin (Freightdog) can be persuaded to release all (or some) of his various 1/72nd Hunter conversions in 1/48th scale?

I would love that and I've asked him about it before but it sounds like the costs involved would be prohibitive. 

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.