Cut and weld,,,,,,,,,,,,full size!!

Started by Rheged, April 15, 2021, 02:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

I know we as a community sometimes do a "cut and weld" job to amend or extend a model.  The French are doing it at 1/1 scale with submarines!

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/two-french-submarines-are-cut-in-half-to-make-new-working-sub/ar-BB1fG5Lx?ocid=msedgntp

And before you look on this as unique, look at replacing the bow of the USS San Francisco with the bow of the USS Honolulu, or even marrying up parts of HMS Zulu and HMS Nubian to produce HMS Zubian!!   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Zubian
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

kerick

Not nearly as complicated but a section of the bow of the USS Kentucky was used to replace the damaged portion of the bow of the USS Wisconsin. IIRC this made the Wisconsin slightly longer than the rest of the Iowa class.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

scooter

And cruise lines do this regularly with their block of flats on a barge that are mistakenly called a "ship", when they want to add even *more* capacity.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

It's quite a common process in the ferry and cruise liner world too.

Probably Britain's most famous ferry, the  MV Norland which carried many of the troops to the Falklands in 1982, was lengthened after she returned from 'down south', by cutting her in half and welding in a 20 mtr length.

I spent many a happy hour aboard the Norland, yo-yoing back and forth between Hull and Rotterdam in the 80s, a lovely ship indeed.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

One thing about a submarine is you better get all those welds right!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Rick Lowe

Quote from: kerick on April 15, 2021, 03:03:35 PM

;D ;D

Quote from: scooter on April 15, 2021, 02:57:38 PM
And cruise lines ... with their block of flats on a barge that are mistakenly called a "ship" ...

;D ;D :thumbsup:
Well put.

crudebuteffective

not a job for the apprentice
Remember, if the reality police ask you haven't seen us in ages!
When does "old enough to know better" kick in?

Nick

Quote from: crudebuteffective on April 16, 2021, 01:20:52 AM

not a job for the apprentice

Certainly not the team who built HMS Triumph in the 80s. They put the entire submarine bow on upside down  :rolleyes:

Marshalls did a good job on extending the C-130 fuselages by putting in 2 separate sections each side of the wing.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Nick on April 16, 2021, 05:41:01 AM

Marshalls did a good job on extending the C-130 fuselages by putting in 2 separate sections each side of the wing.

And cutting HUGE holes in the side of the fuselages of the RAF's Tri-Stars for the cargo hatch.  ;)

The test rig for that job was mind bogglingly complicated, considering that Lockheed's version of the same rig was about  1/3 of the size.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit