I managed to annoy another one.....

Started by TomZ, April 12, 2021, 11:32:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomZ

Yesterday I got an email from a gentleman in Argentina who had found my page on the He-115L in Argentinian service (http://www.airwar1946.nl/whif/L46-HE115L.htm. He had done extensive research he said and he found no evidence of a He-115L in Argentinian service. The fact that there never was a landplane version of the He-115 apparently escaped him.
I pointed out the nature of my site and explained the concept of what-if to him.

Today he emailed back with this text:
Someone may call this a deceiving fake historical news for how it is written.
If you access the page directly to this model, it looks like you investigated and produced a real fact.

So what do you guys think? Should I mail him a link to this forum?  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I confused another one. Mission accomplished!

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Logan Hartke

I'm usually pretty forgiving of people that reach out for whom English is not their first language. Presentation of alternate history can get tricky in your own language and you never know how they landed on your page (often from Google image search). I usually point out that my work is clearly categorized in a "what if" folder with "what if" image tags and they usually either respond, "oh neat, thought that might be the case, looks great!" or they don't respond at all.

Definitely link him to the forum, though! Hopefully he gets it and enjoys the work.

Cheers,

Logan

PR19_Kit

He'd probably collapse in apoplexy if he saw everything on here.  ;D :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Congratulations Tomz!!!   Whiffery claims another demoralised victim!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

DogfighterZen

Quote from: TomZ on April 12, 2021, 11:32:03 AM
Yesterday I got an email from a gentleman in Argentina who had found my page on the He-115L in Argentinian service (http://www.airwar1946.nl/whif/L46-HE115L.htm. He had done extensive research he said and he found no evidence of a He-115L in Argentinian service. The fact that there never was a landplane version of the He-115 apparently escaped him.
I pointed out the nature of my site and explained the concept of what-if to him.

Today he emailed back with this text:
Someone may call this a deceiving fake historical news for how it is written.
If you access the page directly to this model, it looks like you investigated and produced a real fact.

So what do you guys think? Should I mail him a link to this forum?  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I confused another one. Mission accomplished!

TomZ

;D ;D :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

crudebuteffective

yep give him a link to the forum

he well will either say

Bueno, ahora lo entiendo

or

Todos estan locos
Remember, if the reality police ask you haven't seen us in ages!
When does "old enough to know better" kick in?

Leading Observer

LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Leading Observer

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 12, 2021, 12:55:33 PM
Quote from: Leading Observer on April 12, 2021, 12:37:05 PM

Refer him here https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=49167.0

What is it in Portuguese though?  ;D

According to Google Translate, in Spanish [which I believe they speak in Argentina] its 2Señor, es un contador de remaches" :wacko:
LO

NARSES2

Yup send him a link to the site, he may actually get what we are about  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Leading Observer on April 12, 2021, 01:12:34 PM

According to Google Translate, in Spanish [which I believe they speak in Argentina] its 2Señor, es un contador de remaches" :wacko:

Yup Spanish in Argentina, although I've been told by people who speak metropolitan Spanish and have been there it's nothing like they speak in Spain ! Same goes for a lot of the S American countries where Spanish is the official language apparently. Although the written language is probably broadly similar. I've been to a couple of them, and Brazil, and neither my Spanish nor Portuguese is anywhere near good enough to tell. Indeed apart from the odd word they are non existent  :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Leading Observer

You could try this if he's in Patagonia "Rydych chi, Syr, yn gownter ail-wneud!"
LO

frank2056

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 13, 2021, 06:14:41 AM
Yup Spanish in Argentina, although I've been told by people who speak metropolitan Spanish and have been there it's nothing like they speak in Spain

Maybe it's a German dialect of Spanish?

NARSES2

Quote from: Leading Observer on April 13, 2021, 07:44:15 AM
You could try this if he's in Patagonia "Rydych chi, Syr, yn gownter ail-wneud!"

There not all Welsh down there  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

Quote from: frank2056 on April 13, 2021, 02:42:17 PM
Yup Spanish in Argentina, although I've been told by people who speak metropolitan Spanish and have been there it's nothing like they speak in Spain

Maybe it's a German dialect of Spanish?

There's a huge Italian influence in Argentine Spanish.

Hobbes

Yup Spanish in Argentina, although I've been told by people who speak metropolitan Spanish and have been there it's nothing like they speak in Spain ! Same goes for a lot of the S American countries where Spanish is the official language apparently. Although the written language is probably broadly similar. I've been to a couple of them, and Brazil, and neither my Spanish nor Portuguese is anywhere near good enough to tell. Indeed apart from the odd word they are non existent  :rolleyes:

Yep. In my job (writing and translating operator manuals) they are usually treated as separate languages.