A request for ideas...........

Started by Rheged, March 26, 2021, 09:28:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

Given that we currently have an absolutely ginoferously huge container ship blocking the Sewage Suez Canal, what Whiffy methods can esteemed members of this community offer to free it from its predicament?

If this isn't the right place for this post, Chris, please feel  free to move, delete or ignore it!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Gondor

I did think that a couple of well placed buckets of instant sunshine would shift it, might even widen the canal a bit too  :mellow:

Might be the brightest idea Iv'e had for a while, or not

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

JayBee

Why have they not called International Rescue, yet?  :rolleyes:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

perttime

There's got to be a way to lift that thing.

PR19_Kit

A VERY big airship with a lot of ropes.

Fly over it, lower the ropes around the hull (they'd maybe need a diver or two...) and lift the bloody thing out of the way.

Erm, is there enough helium in the whole world to do that though? It weighs 220000 tons. :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

Link just in case

Link just in case

Surely we could we could try to convince Q
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

jcf

This is an interesting read in the Financial Times on the hydronamic factors in play, especially as they
relate to the ever widening containership, they can't get any longer so they're getting beamier.

The bank effect and the big boat blocking the Suez
https://www.ft.com/content/171c92ec-0a44-4dc5-acab-81ee2620d3c1

Hobbes

- use a couple of Russian nuclear-powered icebreakers. Or a US supercarrier.
- dam up the Suez canal, raise the water level
- pave the quay, install container cranes to unload the containers

Snowtrooper

Drive a few SSBN's (Typhoon preferred for size) under the keel and have them blow their ballast tanks? :wacko:

Knightflyer

Quote from: Snowtrooper on March 26, 2021, 01:38:33 PM
Drive a few SSBN's (Typhoon preferred for size) under the keel and have them blow their ballast tanks? :wacko:

It'd be interesting to see a size comparison of the Typhoons against the Ever Given. I mean there are 'big' ships (or boats) and then there are BIGGGG ships!
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

Pellson

Dig a second Canal. Have it nationalised. Go ballistic and start a war on Egypt. Get a wrist slap by Uncle Sam and stick another boat across the second one too.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Knightflyer on March 26, 2021, 01:46:47 PM
Quote from: Snowtrooper on March 26, 2021, 01:38:33 PM

It'd be interesting to see a size comparison of the Typhoons against the Ever Given. I mean there are 'big' ships (or boats) and then there are BIGGGG ships!

After a bit of Googling and some PSP work, here you are.  ;D

The container ship isn't QUITE as long as the Ever Given, but it's pretty close.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

andrewj

A series of charges placed around the bow of the ship in a staggered pattern detonated in sequence, this will rock the vessel and break the suction to allow the tugs to move it. Well , it worked in a Clive Cussler book when Dirk Pitt did it.

Rick Lowe

Whatever they decide to do, it's going to take time. And when/if that doesn't work, the next bright idea will take more time.

I wonder how seriously the owners of the ships backing up behind it have thought of turning them around and sending them around the Cape?

I understand it's a fuel efficiency numbers game, but surely there has to be a limit as to how big things can get, given the situation that has occurred?
Shipping is expensive, that's a given. So maybe the argument for more and smaller ships still makes sense?

As to ways to shift her, a couple of seriously grunty vessels towing and a charge or two to break the suction at the same time?
She's going to need some repair anyway, so if they're careful any concussion damage could be repaired at the same time.

Or no, that might scratch the paint - more...

Rick Lowe