The Berkshire Mirage - Fairey Delta F.1

Started by CammNut, March 21, 2021, 06:53:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CammNut

No real back story to this one. I have always thought the UK missed out big time not turning the Fairey FD.2 into a fighter. I have looked at it several times, but never known what to do with that drooping nose - complicated, unnecessary, heavy and ugly. And then it came to me, why not replace it with the nose from a Saab J35 Draken? Well you would, wouldn't you? And use the cockpit from a Lightning, so now the pilot can see over the nose without all that articulation.

So then I grafted on the rear fuselage from a Hawker P.1083 thin-wing Hunter with its variable-area afterburning Avon nozzle. And slim underwing fuel tanks from a Heller Mirage IIIE. And what do you get? Well, you get what looks a lot like a Mirage IIIC - almost to the inch. That's how close Fairey came to starting a delta dynasty to rival Dassault's. Add a pair of fuselage-mounted Firestreak missiles and the colours and decals from a Lightning and you have the Delta F.1.

crudebuteffective

wow that is better than a good thing on a good day
Remember, if the reality police ask you haven't seen us in ages!
When does "old enough to know better" kick in?

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Knightflyer

Oh to be whiffing again :-(

PR19_Kit

Oh YES!

That's really, REALLY good, and brilliant cross-kitting.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Steel Penguin

the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Pellson

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Scotaidh

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Leading Observer

LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

Gondor

One of the best bit's of kit-bashing I have seen for a while  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :wub:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Doug K

KiwiZac

That's gorgeous! The mods and markings really sell it. Bravo!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

AeroplaneDriver

Beautiful build. That looks just right.   :wub:
So I got that going for me...which is nice....