The Luchs downunder

Started by rickshaw, February 26, 2021, 07:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

The Luchs downunder

In 1986 the Dibb Report was issued by the Australian Government on Australian Defence.  It detailed the idea of "fortress Australia" rather than "forward defence" as the basic strategy to defend the Australian continent.  "Forward defence" was the idea that Australia needed to be defended, "over there" in Asia, well forward of it's national boundaries, in case of the Domino Theory being correct.  "Fortress Australia" had it that only the continent and it's territories needed defending.  This was a consequence of the failure of "forward defence" with the end of the Vietnam War in 1972.  In the intervening years basically the Australian Defence Forces had floundered, trying to identify and defend against non-existent enemies.

In 1987, a Defence White Paper was issued.  After the Dibb Report being severely criticised by the Opposition, the US Government and other interested parties, the Australian Government under the Hawke Government retreated from the extreme measures recommended.   What wasn't going to be retreated from was the need to move the mass of the Australian Defence Forces from the South East corner of the continent to the "top end" to defend against an attack by a likely Asian power.  So, most of the army was moved and a large proportion of the air force.  Barracks were created in and around Darwin and Tindall.   New equipment was purchased.  Most of that was wheeled, rather than tracked vehicles, able to run long distances across the arid terrain at high speed.

The Spähpanzer Luchs (English: Lynx) was one such vehicle.  It was a German 8x8 amphibious reconnaissance armoured fighting vehicle (Spähpanzer) and was in service from 1975 to 2009 with the German Army, who used 408 in their armoured reconnaissance battalions. It was developed by Daimler-Benz between 1968 and 1975, replacing the M41 and the Schützenpanzer SPz 11-2 Kurz.

Downunder, the Luchs adopted in 1987 and was used by the Light Horse, inheritors of the WWI tradition of operating against enemy forces as a mounted force.  The Luchs was well adapted to the sort of warfare envisaged.  Able to run at 100 km/h for several hundred kilometres.   It was armed with a 20mm automatic cannon and night vision devices.  It was amphibious and equipped with propellers to run it in water.   It proved popular with the soldiers who ran it.  It was a powerful, hard hitting, vehicle.  The Light Horse used it extensively across the "top end" keeping tabs on any possible enemy intrusion.

The vehicle depicted, belongs to 3/9 South Australian Mounted Rifles (SAMR) an ARes unit (Army Reserve – the inheritors of the CMF title) in 1990.

://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/1204/aU8e4R.jpg

The Kit

A Revell 1/35 kit of the Luchs.  Painted with a hairy stick using Mousehouse enamels.  Decals from the spares box.

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

Oh, I like that - but I am a big Luchs fan, so that I'm rather biased.  ;)

Pellson

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

buzzbomb

Always find the Luchs as a very imposing vehicle. Nice work

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Looks very neat  in that scheme Brian  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

Very nice, and I am also a fan of post war/ modern  German armour  too, food job as I have  built enough of it   ;D
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Captain Canada

Nice one. I like the colours.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

rickshaw

I am surprised no one has remarked about the armoured tool boxes on each side of the hull.  The RAAC learnt from it's experiences in Vietnam - not much survives on the outside of an AFV when it goes really, really, bush bashing.  Which is why they introduced tool boxes on the outside of their vehicles.  None of this namby-pamby hangin' stuff on the outside where a stray tree branch could get hooked under it and whip it off!   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Rick Lowe

Quote from: rickshaw on February 27, 2021, 10:59:21 PM
I am surprised no one has remarked about the armoured tool boxes on each side of the hull.  The RAAC learnt from it's experiences in Vietnam - not much survives on the outside of an AFV when it goes really, really, bush bashing.  Which is why they introduced tool boxes on the outside of their vehicles.  None of this namby-pamby hangin' stuff on the outside where a stray tree branch could get hooked under it and whip it off!   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Never mind The Bush, you need to have things secured against the machinations of the Aussie Wharfie... just ask the troops who took their Cents to Vietnam...

Dizzyfugu

Well, I had rather wondered why Australia would need an amphibian recce tank?

zenrat

We do have rivers here.  Some of them even have water in all year round.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

And there's a lot of wet stuff lying all over the place in the Tropical North, too! ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

rickshaw

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on February 28, 2021, 01:59:59 AM
Well, I had rather wondered why Australia would need an amphibian recce tank?

First, it isn't a "tank" but an armoured car - important to the tankies out there.

Second, who said we weren't planning to sail to Indonesia and strike them from the beaches?   :wacko: