The alternative Boeing E-3D Sentry AWACS with photos

Started by McColm, February 25, 2021, 04:20:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

I haven't been able to find any line drawings or concept artwork for adding the FASS radomes to the Boeing E-3 or EC-135 which would have been a test aircraft.
I'm basing this build on the Heller 1/72 Boeing E-3A/C AWACS  with the Cammett/MasterCaster BAe Nimrod AEW.3 conversion set. The additional Combat Model Boeing E-3D Sentry update set and white metal landing gear can also be used. Pieces of plastic card will be used to hold the ends of the radomes in place on the inside of the fuselage.
For such a build,  the washing of all parts is essential especially the resin conversion sets.
Once dried I would start at the rear cutting sufficient plastic so the rear radome fits snugly and drill straight through for the tail planes to be fitted. The vertical tail fin will need to be shaped so it follows the contours of the new tail. Strengthening strips or braces will also be added and cut to fit the internal fuselage.
As for the front,  you can't really see that much internal detail in the cockpit,  whereas the C-135 does have a cargo door which could be detailed in the open position showing the banks of radar systems.
The rest of the kit can be assembled as per instructions.

McColm

From what I have been able to gleem the British fleet of Boeing E-3D Sentrys are to be retired at the end of this year,  although the Boeing E-7 Wedgetails won't be ready until 2023 and the number reduced to 3. Whilst waiting for the Wedgetails to arrive the British have asked for the NATO Boeing E-3Cs to provide coverage of the UK airspace.
A whole host of whiffery could be achieved as a stopgap even modernising the Avro Shackleton AEW.2s.

PR19_Kit

Ye gods, it's the Nimrod, Harrier and carrier saga all over again!

Our 'Leaders' seem to delight in retiring weapon systems LONG before their replacements are in place. They really ARE insane!  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Martin H

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 30, 2021, 12:36:23 PM
Ye gods, it's the Nimrod, Harrier and carrier saga all over again!

Our 'Leaders' seem to delight in retiring weapon systems LONG before their replacements are in place. They really ARE insane!  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Not quite. Our E-3's are totaly shagged. And the last think the MOD wants is for a repeat of the odd Nimrod falling apart in mid air again.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

PR19_Kit

Once again it's a lack of forward planning though.

The fatigue life of the structure is predictable, it IS a fine art by now (it's the field I worked in for 30 years...) so they shouldn't have spent so much time shilly-shallying around before ordering a replacement.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

You know I wish they had kept a few BAe Nimrod AEW.3 for such an occasion. One idea was to fit them with the old APS/AN-20 radars, do we have any C-130Js left?
Reinstate the Sentinels.

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 30, 2021, 11:26:50 PM

The fatigue life of the structure is predictable, it IS a fine art by now (it's the field I worked in for 30 years...) so they shouldn't have spent so much time shilly-shallying around before ordering a replacement.

Absolutely Kit, especially in areas where the procurement process is measured in years at best and often in decades rather than months.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sandiego89

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 30, 2021, 11:26:50 PM

I also seem to recall that the UK decided not to pursue the E-3 mid-life refurbishment and upgrade programs that the US, Saudi and NATO/OTAN E-3's underwent. Yes that would have been costly, but there is also a "cost" of not making an investment in upgrades, and likely would have bought quite a few more years of use. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

McColm

The E-3D Sentrys have been bought for $15 million by the USA to be converted into E-6 trainers for the USNavy.

Charlie_c67

Are you looking to stick with a Boeing airliner? Or are other companies in the running too?
"If you've never seen an elephant ski, then you've never been on acid."

McColm

Quote from: Charlie_c67 on August 12, 2021, 09:11:14 AM
Are you looking to stick with a Boeing airliner? Or are other companies in the running too?
Other companies, I always thought that the Airbus 340 would be a great AWACS platform and now that Canada is going to build the An-74T the Coaler could be whiffed with four turbofaned engines.

McColm

Chile has bought one of the RAFs' Boeing
E-3D Sentrys with rumours suggesting up to 3 have been sold plus spare parts.
Three instead of the five ordered E-7 Wedgetails will enter service, the gaps filled by NATO E-3 Sentry aircraft.

McColm

The BAe Black Crow AEW.1PR  without the turboprop engines

And the new Red Top rotodome.

Other alternatives could be to refurbish the Avro Shackleton  as a cost-effective solution.

They could use a few more ex- C-135s  based on the Boeing Phalcon.

Or remake the Hawkrod/Nimeye

The Dassault Atlantic AEW.1 would be possible using  refurbished  ATL1s.

Beermonster58

I'm thinking that the Airbus A320/321 might be a good platform, maybe utilising a similar installation to that on Wedgetail!?
I've got one of each of the excellent Zvezda kits and, I'm going to use one as an ASW aircraft

Allan
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

McColm

I was thinking about the G.222/C-27 Spartan/Chuck. Replacing the turboprops for turbofans