AH-64 Cochiti - 1/48 compound chopper

Started by wacek85, January 22, 2021, 04:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wacek85

Hello!

Right after finishing (5 minutes ago I removed maskiong tape from cockpit glass).
AH-64 "Cochiti" is a compound version of Apache. I based it on real compound Apache which is tested by Boeing.
Engines, wings and vertical are from 1/72 Su-25, tail pusher prop is from 1/72 Orion, main landing gear is from 1/48 Su-25. Rest is from 1/48 Apache, with some parts from spare box.
Main rotor blades were shortened. Decals from Apache were awful so I've used spares from A-10 and Tornado.
Painted as usual, with Tamiya, Mr.Hobby and AK paints.

Rick Lowe

Captain Canada

That's a neat looking piece of machinery ! Love the stance, even sitting on the ground ! I can imagine her in the air...what a sight and sound that would be !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

McColm

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Dizzyfugu

Nice! Not certain about the torque-countering tail rotor so far "outside" and the tall landing gear (even though I see the necessity), but I like the very conclusive look.  :thumbsup:

wacek85

Thanks a lot , guys :)

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 23, 2021, 01:06:59 AM
Nice! Not certain about the torque-countering tail rotor so far "outside" and the tall landing gear (even though I see the necessity), but I like the very conclusive look.  :thumbsup:

I'm not certain too :)

Here is how it was placed in Cheyenne:

Here in AH-64Z mock up for tunnel tests:

I didn't  have anything smaller in diameter than Orion prop, and I had to place horizontal stabilizer in place of removed vertical to get rid of a big hole...so that's the main reason of how it looks :)

Dizzyfugu

Hmm, I guess that tail rotor arrangement was chosen to keep both props clear from each other, and a connected gearbox would probably not have worked or added weight. It's still weird, even though I am not certain how I'd tackle this problem in hardware form.  :unsure:

wacek85

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 23, 2021, 04:03:17 AM
Hmm, I guess that tail rotor arrangement was chosen to keep both props clear from each other, and a connected gearbox would probably not have worked or added weight. It's still weird, even though I am not certain how I'd tackle this problem in hardware form.  :unsure:

Very interesting question for future what-if builds. Maybe pusher-prop and NOTAR is a solution? But IDK if there will be a room for shaft for pusher prop then.

Wurgerman

Lovely build, looks very menacing !

Wurgerman

NARSES2

Got a very sleek look about it. Excellent build  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Scotaidh

Quote from: wacek85 on January 23, 2021, 04:33:48 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 23, 2021, 04:03:17 AM

Very interesting question for future what-if builds. Maybe pusher-prop and NOTAR is a solution? But IDK if there will be a room for shaft for pusher prop then.

You could always use an electric-motor fenestron ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenestron

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

sandiego89

Great work! Really came out well. 

Really neat to see a Cheyanne in person, got to see the one at Ft. Eustis before it moved to Ft. Rucker.   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

chrisonord

Very nice build, gives me some ideas of what to do with a scrap Apache I have  :thumbsup:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sandiego89 on January 23, 2021, 08:51:26 AM

Really neat to see a Cheyanne in person, got to see the one at Ft. Eustis before it moved to Ft. Rucker.

Isn't that the only Cheyanne left now, or are there others too?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit