Model board

Started by chrisonord, January 18, 2021, 11:00:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

I have just been scouring the tinterweb for some of this stuff that is suitable to use when scratchbuilding. There are that many things out there that look the part but don't say they are what I need. I don't need a lot as I want to try and replicate the fuselage section of my HP115, so I need to be able to manually cut it carve it and sand it to shape, also I want a bit spare in case I make a mess of the first attempt as I will need to hollow the piece out so as to put a cockpit in. I have some balsa wood already but it is not thick enough, plus you can't hollow it out enough. As said I seem to be running around in circles trying to find what I need, I also have some of the lower density stuff that they also use for insulation but the texture is to coarse and it is very porous . I have taken pity on the HP115, and I think this stuff will give me a better chance of replicating a fitting fuselage replacement. Many thanks for any information.
Chris   
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Hobbes

You could use balsa-foam:
https://shop.sculpt.com/foam/urethane-foam/balsafoam/

This is a foam product designed for modelling, it feels pretty hard but it's easy to cut. Still a bit porous, but a coat of filling primer should fix that.

scooter

I would say look for foam-core at your local UK equivalent to Staples, but it only comes in about 1/4 thicknesses.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

chrisonord

We have Staples  over here too, I  will  need  something that I  can  carve out  a cockpit  and have  thin side walls.  The fuselage is  only 10 mm at its  widest point, and has to fit an ejection seat  in.
Chris

Mossie

Have a look at this page:
https://davidneat.wordpress.com/styrofoam/

Basically you carve it to shape & stick it together using gorilla glue or UHU Por.  You then coat it with PVA before adding a layer of resin to get a glass like finish.

I bought some XPS foam and the recommended glues myself for a few scratch builds but as usual, never got around to it.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

chrisonord

Quote from: Mossie on January 18, 2021, 12:08:58 PM
Have a look at this page:
https://davidneat.wordpress.com/styrofoam/

Basically you carve it to shape & stick it together using gorilla glue or UHU Por.  You then coat it with PVA before adding a layer of resin to get a glass like finish.

I bought some XPS foam and the recommended glues myself for a few scratch builds but as usual, never got around to it.
Cheers  mossie, I  have some of that stuff  already , it can't be  carved out  thin enough  for what I need it to be unfortunately. Thankyou for your input though, much appreciated.
Chris

Dizzyfugu

How about building a cockpit tub from thin styrene sheet or cardboard and sculpt the fuselage "shell" from 2C putty? This would have the aded value that you can easily create the basic shapes outlines from the material, press a canopy into the fresh stuff for a very good connection, and the stuff will bond well with the surroundings - using balsa or foamed material could be harder to attach to the rest?

chrisonord

I will have a look into the  2c putty Thomas,   not sure if my fingers are  up to the job of making  such a small intricate  item, plus it is an unusual shape to get right.  If I can't  find anything to replicate the  original  with, it may just get a whiffed fuselage  that looks completely different.
Cheers
Chris