Martin Baker MB.7

Started by 63cpe, December 31, 2020, 09:12:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

63cpe

Martin Baker MB.7
While in the course of 1945 the success of the Messerschmidt 262 and the Arado 234 became clear, there was more balance in the air superiority. For example, less bombing was done and more capacity was carefully released to resume the development of new long-range bombers. Aircraft like the Messrschmidtt Me-264 "Amerika bomber" and the Focke Wulf Ta-400 soon became available and were soon used for bombing raids on England.
Although the Spitfires were sufficiently available, we turned out to be somewhat lightly armed to fight these long-range bombers efficiently. The Gloster Meteors turned out to be a bit too fast and also a bit lightly armed. That is why a design by Martin Baker Tank buster was hastily edited to create a device with a formidable armament. To absorb the recoil of both 37 mm guns, a heavy construction was required and the aircraft soon became too heavy, little maneuverable and too slow. Therefore, the layout of the aircraft was changed under the influence of the Armstrong Whitworth AW.49. This layout was able to handle recoil forces better while still keeping the structure relatively light. This is how the Martin Baker MB.7 was born.

Here is the prototype.

IMG_7188 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

IMG_7189 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

IMG_7198 (2) by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

IMG_7193 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

Basically it is a 1/72 GAL Hotspur hull without a tail. Shackleton propeller. The tail booms, wings and stabilizer come from a 1/32 Glencoe Mc Donnell XV-1. Cockpit cover is from a 1/48 P-51, landing gear is from a 1/48 P-38 and barrels from a 1/72 Ju-87 G1.

More pictures here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jetsonsspecial/albums/72157713040781641/with/50783016323/

Cheers,
David aka 63cpe

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

PR19_Kit

WHAAAAT?

One AMAZING kitbash for sure!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

frank2056

Awesome kit bash! The only thing that would make it better is.... nothing!

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Tophe

Wonderful mix, and great twin-boomer! :wub:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Glenn Gilbertson

That looks great - an excellent kitbash! :thumbsup:

Scotaidh

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

chrisonord

Very different and very nice  build  too :wub:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

stevehed

McColm