My Modeling Cave Coming Together

Started by AeroplaneDriver, December 29, 2020, 03:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

Four months after moving I finally got around to doing a little organizing in my Modeling room (or Studio as I insist SWMBO call it).

Up to today my stash of 250+ kits was stacked up taking up about 1/4 of the floorspace.  Today I migrated it to an unused closet in the back of the house and did some general organizing and tidying up.  I still need to get another couple of electrical outlets installed and get some more shelving sorted.  The cheapo fake wood shelf in the back right corner is temporary.  I also need to get some more of my aviation art collection framed for the walls, but that will have to wait a month or so because the owner of my local framing shop took about a month off for the holidays. 

Still more to do to it, but it's starting to feel like I'm fulfilling my long time dream of a dedicated Modeling Man Cave!

Found this picture in a thrift shop for $3, advertised as buy it for the frame...I just had to have it to hang in here.
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

PR19_Kit

FAR too tidy to be an actual modelling room........................  ;D

You must have your real workspace hidden away elsewhere.  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 29, 2020, 03:36:05 PM
FAR too tidy to be an actual modelling room........................  ;D

You must have your real workspace hidden away elsewhere.  ;)

Give it a few days. 

kerick

Watch those horizontal surfaces! They attract junk like magnets!
Room looks fantastic! I'm envious.......... :thumbsup:
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Rheged

This, I assume is the before  picture of a before and after sequence.  Please may we have a photo in about six months time?

It looks very well laid out at the moment.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Pellson

Far too few shelves. Mark my words - there is no such thing as an undershelved hobby room.  ;)
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Gondor

Quote from: Pellson on December 30, 2020, 03:51:47 AM
Far too few shelves. Mark my words - there is no such thing as an undershelved hobby room.  ;)

I agree. It may look nice and tidy with what you have built so far, but build a few more models, collect a few more books and you rapidly run out of space!

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

It does look good and it's definitely a studio rather than a room  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Quote from: kerick on December 29, 2020, 04:53:06 PM
Watch those horizontal surfaces! They attract junk like magnets!

Tell me about it! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

tigercat

Before long the temporary shelving is permanent and you're working out how to squeeze extra shelves into all your unit .

loupgarou

It's a studio, not a modelling room!
It's horribly tidy and neat!  :o
Not a man-cave at all! Where are the piles of half-built models, tools, junk etc?
And the beer cans forgotten in the corners?
Lot of work before it's a proper modelling space.
And you have already installed a carpet for the monster.... :banghead:

;D ;D ;D ;D
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

McColm

Too tidy,  have you thought of hanging your models from the ceiling?

Joe C-P

Yes, why aren't any hanging from the ceiling?   ;D
Also, how do you manage to avoid the inevitable build up of dust?   :o  :rolleyes:

:thumbsup:

JoeP
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

sandiego89

Quote from: JoeP on January 04, 2021, 03:01:33 PM
Yes, why aren't any hanging from the ceiling?   ;D

I have become a huge fan of wall mounting.  Here is my garage wall. Great use of space, easy to bring them down for dusting or "research".  Simple J hooks for the heavies, simple picture hangers and fishing line for the small aircraft.   

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

AeroplaneDriver

I'm not a huge fan of ceiling hanging.  I do want to do some wall mounts though.

Also happy to report that after finishing a build it is far less tidy.