DONE @p.2 +++ Another captured M.S. 406 in Thai service (inspired by NARSES)

Started by Dizzyfugu, December 08, 2020, 12:04:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Well, with kind permission from NARSES, I will tackle the same concept - an ex-Vichy-French M.S. 406, captured by Japanese/Thai forces and pressed into the new operator's servive during or after the French-Thai War between 1941 and 1942. The idea is too good to be ignored, and so I started on short notice with a Hobby Boss M.S. 406 and suitable elephant markings from a PrintScale Ki-27 sheet. The result will probably look very different from NARSES' build, though, and I might not submit mine to the voting, since the original idea is not mine.

Since it is a VERY simple model kit, the M.S. 406 was built yesterday evening to the point that painting will start today. Due to the locator bars inside of the canopy, I left the cockpit closed but added a pilot figure, since the interior is well visible. The pilot helps to hide the rather primitive furnishings, and luckily I had a WWII Japanese pilot from a Hasegawa kit in the donor bank, who now found, as a Thai pilot, a new working place.

The livery will be close to the Vichy-French markings in the area around 1941: French grey/green/brown camouflage, a red-and-yellow-striped cowling, all-red tail and French roundels replaced with red disks/hinomaru, but with elephants added on top of them. This should look pretty odd, but could have happened...  :rolleyes:

NARSES2

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on December 08, 2020, 12:04:56 AM

The livery will be close to the Vichy-French markings in the area around 1941: French grey/green/brown camouflage, a red-and-yellow-striped cowling, all-red tail and French roundels replaced with red disks/hinomaru, but with elephants added on top of them. This should look pretty odd, but could have happened...  :rolleyes:

It certainly could have happened. French aircraft in theatre during the period were in the process of getting Vichy stripes. Most seem to have got them immediately after the Franco/Thai War, but it's not a certainty that some didn't have them during the War. (from my reading, which is very limited, anyway)

Certainly submit it for voting Dizzy, it's just another take on a shared idea. If I was concerned about it being "unique" I'd have waited until I finished it  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

That pilot looks distinctly under fed, but I guess rationing was in force at the time.............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

Not much new to show yet, basic painting finished and I added a light black ink washing.
Decals, including the challenging red stripes on the engine, start next.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

1:72 Morane-Saulnier M.S. 406; aircraft "๓ ๔ (34/ S̄āms̄ib s̄ī̀)" of the Royal Thai Air Force (RTAF, กองทัพอากาศไทย; Kong Thap Akat Thai); Tonkin (occupied French Indochina), early 1942 (Whif/Hobby Boss kit) - WiP
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:72 Morane-Saulnier M.S. 406; aircraft "๓ ๔ (34/ S̄āms̄ib s̄ī̀)" of the Royal Thai Air Force (RTAF, กองทัพอากาศไทย; Kong Thap Akat Thai); Tonkin (occupied French Indochina), early 1942 (Whif/Hobby Boss kit) - WiP
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The hinomaru with Thai elephants added might appear a little weird, but my idea was that the French roundels had to be overpainted, anyway, and Japan might have made clear who'd be the local force to be reckoned, and from this the elephants "on top", marking another "puppet force", are just a small step. I also did not want to add the red square Thai markings to the red tail, so I rather used the roundels as a base of a very similar color (since they come from different sheets, though both from PrintScale).

NARSES2

That really works Dizzy  :thumbsup:

I was wondering how to cover the French markings on mine in order to replace them with the Thai roundels (which were still in use in the period mine will be depicted in) and have settled on simply having white painted wingtips and a white band around the fuselage.

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on December 11, 2020, 12:04:29 AM

I also did not want to add the red square Thai markings to the red tail, so I rather used the roundels as a base of a very similar color (since they come from different sheets, though both from PrintScale).

When I was thinking of using the "Elephant" markings I was also going to use the small ones on the fuselage rather than the tail - great minds  ;) ;D

Dizzyfugu

Well, I follow a pragmatic approach. I also considered overpainting the French roundels with IJA Green (as on the fin rudder) and grey (under the wings) and then just apply the rectangular Thai markings. Placing them on the fin instead of the fuselage would have been more correct, too, but I did not like the layout on my M.S. 406. My solution looks exotic, but it's also an attempt to (somewhat) logically combine three operators into one design. Therefore I also kept the French ID markings.

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 09, 2020, 05:38:36 AM
That pilot looks distinctly under fed, but I guess rationing was in force at the time.............

I've come rather late to this party, but I have assumed that especially light weight pilots were chosen, to give the aircraft marginally better performance.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Dizzyfugu

More or less crossing the finishing line. Did some weathering and varnish, but there are a few finishing touches left to do. Looks odd with the hinomarus and the elephants, and the red and the grey of the camouflage just do not match well... Yuck!

NARSES2

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on December 11, 2020, 07:03:27 AM
My solution looks exotic, but it's also an attempt to (somewhat) logically combine three operators into one design. Therefore I also kept the French ID markings.

I also sometimes wonder what paints some of these users would have had available as well. We can sometimes rather falsely assume they had the same huge variety of shades available that we have I think ?

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on December 12, 2020, 12:59:39 AM
Looks odd with the hinomarus and the elephants, and the red and the grey of the camouflage just do not match well... Yuck!

Personally I think it works and works well  :thumbsup:

zenrat

I think the colours work well.  It is after all a combat aircraft and not an exercise in interior design.
Did Vichy operated aircraft carry the red/yellow, and the white bars in Indochine Francais?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..