1/72nd scale TF-102 kit

Started by chrisonord, December 07, 2020, 08:45:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

I have been looking at getting a F-102 kit to go with my F-106 and was wondering if there was a kit for the 2 seat version out there as I have seen 2 different conversion kits  but I am not keen on the work involved. I have seen the Hasegawa and the Meng kits for the single seaters and the Hasegawa one is a better price in some stores, but if I can get a 2 seater, I would be happy.
Cheers
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

AFAIK no-one's ever done a complete kit of a TF-102, but the Xtrakit conversion is as good as you'll get.

I have three of them................  ;D ;)

Want one?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

There's three other conversions, from vacuform to resin.

AirModel does a vacuform set, RVHP does a resin set as does Grand Model (the best IMHO), apart from the injection XtraParts set.

The conversion set I have is an Airwaves set (pre-XtraParts) and I believe this actually came from another manufacturer.

EDIT:  I think the story goes that Airwaves was bought out by Hannants when the original owner either retired or died ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

chrisonord

Ah I see, looks like I will have to do some  cutting up then....bugger. Does the xtrakit one convert the hasegawa kit then? If so I will  gladly  purchase one from you  Kit.I will  have a look for a Hasegawa F-102  if so.
Many thanks for the information  guys, much appreciated.  :thumbsup:
Chris

kitnut617

In the RVHP conversion, you get a complete fuselage Chris --- plus a bunch of other bits.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/rvhp-72118-convair-tf-102a-delta-dagger--227129

chrisonord

Quote from: kitnut617 on December 07, 2020, 12:47:20 PM
In the RVHP conversion, you get a complete fuselage Chris --- plus a bunch of other bits.
Cheers Robert,
Their stuff is quite expensive from what I can  remember, but I  suppose they do save  cutting. I will take my chances with the xtrakit one  if Kit will sell me one. I will have to  invest in a  new and very sharp  razor saw for it.
Chris

kitnut617

Quote from: chrisonord on December 07, 2020, 12:51:14 PM
Quote from: kitnut617 on December 07, 2020, 12:47:20 PM
Cheers Robert,
Their stuff is quite expensive from what I can  remember, but I  suppose they do save  cutting. I will take my chances with the xtrakit one  if Kit will sell me one. I will have to  invest in a  new and very sharp  razor saw for it.
Chris

The XtraPart set is for the Hasegawa F-102 (also AMT and Frog kits), the Grand Models set is for the Meng kit.

chrisonord

Cheers Robert, I have found the  Hasegawa kit, nowhere near as reasonable  as the F-106 I  recently got, but it will have to do.
Chris.

rickshaw

The Airmodel vacuform conversion includes a complete fuselage as well.  I think Falcon also do one.  Have to check.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

chrisonord

Quote from: rickshaw on December 07, 2020, 11:57:21 PM
The Airmodel vacuform conversion includes a complete fuselage as well.  I think Falcon also do one.  Have to check.
Cheers, I  am not keen on vacform stuff to be honest so either resin or preferably styrene  will be the way forward for me.  :thumbsup:
Chris

PR19_Kit

Isn't the Falcon conversion for an F-106, the one with tandem seats?

They may well do a Deuce as well of course, but I've not seen one.

Now there's a thought, a TF-102 with tandem seats or an F-106B with a side by side setup?  ;) ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Yes, the Falcon conversion is for a TF-106B correction, F-106B. Now is that a trainer, or just a two seat F-106 ?

PR19_Kit

It's described as a 'combat trainer' so it could fight if need be.

Apparently it's better Area Ruled than the standard F-106A because of the extra seat. Weird.  :-\

But a LOVELY looking aeroplane all round.  :wub:

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

I do  have a thing for 2 seat variants of aircraft  as they are sometimes works of art or completely  ugly, which  to me is perfect  :wacko:
Chris

PR19_Kit

And some look BETTER than their single seat counterparts, the Jaguar, Su-27 and the F-106 as examples.

To my mind anyway.

Regards
Kit