Up gunned Nelson / Rodney

Started by Stan in YUL, November 26, 2020, 07:57:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan in YUL

I was thinking of a major upgrade for the NelRods that featured a fourth triple 16 inch turret that maintains the 3 original in the same configuration.  Has anyone seen some sort of attempt at this or something similar? Tia

Dizzyfugu

Where would you put it?  :-\  Personally, I have rather thought about changing the deck layout into a more conventional confirguration, with the bridge moved forward and the 3rd turret moved to the stern. But there's IMHO no room for more turrets?

PR19_Kit

You could fit longer wings a longer hull maybe?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Stan in YUL

Funny guy :thumbsup: actually I calculate 165 to 180 feet over the length of the original configuration, mostly behind the existing superstructure.  Maybe 8 to 12 feet in beam added (problem for the Suez) and a corresponding increase in draft.

jcf

jcf

Quote from: Stan in YUL on November 26, 2020, 08:48:18 AM
Funny guy :thumbsup: actually I calculate 165 to 180 feet over the length of the original configuration, mostly behind the existing superstructure.  Maybe 8 to 12 feet in beam added (problem for the Suez) and a corresponding increase in draft.

In that case it would no longer be a Nelson-class ship.  ;D

Stan in YUL

I was thinking of the backstory where the KGVs and the Lions get dropped as the true intent of the Yamato and Musashi design is understood. With no hope of resurrecting the G3's - no 18 inch guns then possible - it's time for a Montana like response.  A fourth turret, 12 guns, 30-32 knots.