Bristol Type 179

Started by chrisonord, November 17, 2020, 01:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

Bristol  type 179 rocket powered  interceptor  prototype, and follow on to their type 178 rocket interceptor  proposal.  The  type 179 made it off the drawing board  and  impressed the powers that be by its  sleek and deadly  looks. In the air it was a lot more potent  than envisioned, and would  touch  mach 3 in a shallow dive.  Said shallow dive  had to be a very short lived affair  and at very  high altitude  as the aircraft  wasn't  keen on manoeuvring  at anything over mach 2.4.
The build is made from spare parts from a Douglas skyrocket and  a 1/100th scale  lightning.  I stripped and repainted it  3 times  as it kept  rippling, yet again  vallejo paint  being the culprit, which I am quite surprised about  as it is usually really good to  brush paint with. It all went together  nicely  considering the wings and  fuselage are from different  kits, scales and  manufacturers.  Also the tail fin is from the 1/100 th lightning.
Chris
https://photos.app.goo.gl/SHcrJr5wmzbhi4uJ8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/yNpjchwwuz82uq2n9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Csk2SSa7fWq4zLTYA

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

Oooooh, very nice Chris.  :thumbsup:

I figured out the Lightning wings and fin but couldn't make any sense of the fuselage. Was it the 'Revell fit the box' Skyrocket perhaps?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 17, 2020, 03:10:52 PM
Oooooh, very nice Chris.  :thumbsup:

I figured out the Lightning wings and fin but couldn't make any sense of the fuselage. Was it the 'Revell fit the box' Skyrocket perhaps?
Cheers  Kit,
Its the special hobby  1/72nd scale  one.  Your  get 2 fuselages in the kit, one is rocket and jet  powered, the other just  rocket  powered.  I  ordered another  canopy  for it, and stuck it all together.  Like you do.  I just wish the paint had behaved itself.
Chris.

AeroplaneDriver

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

andrewj

Nice , great concept and execution .especially like the asymmetric  canopy , very much of the times.

Tophe

Good! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Like an EE Lightning that went to aesthetic surgery to get a sharp elegant nose ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

sideshowbob9

Rheged

Quote from: chrisonord on November 17, 2020, 03:24:37 PM
I just wish the paint had behaved itself.
Chris.

Adjust the backstory.  " An unfortunate side effect of shallow dives above Mach 2.6", or perhaps " tight turns at speeds above Mach 1.9, especially at altitude, caused minor ripples in the structure"

(See Kit's second law of whiffery)

I like this, it's an example of what whiffery is all about.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

chrisonord

Quote from: Rheged on November 18, 2020, 03:39:29 AM
Quote from: chrisonord on November 17, 2020, 03:24:37 PM
I just wish the paint had behaved itself.
Chris.

Adjust the backstory.  " An unfortunate side effect of shallow dives above Mach 2.6", or perhaps " tight turns at speeds above Mach 1.9, especially at altitude, caused minor ripples in the structure"

(See Kit's second law of whiffery)

I like this, it's an example of what whiffery is all about.
Haha, cheers  . Or perhaps  they employed one of my ancestors  in the paint shop, and because of his shoddy workmanship, caused the aircraft  to be 276.5 miles per hour  slower than calculated.  ;D
Chris

NARSES2

That works really well Chris  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.