Sea Harrier HMS Glorious 1939

Started by andrewj, November 17, 2020, 07:53:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewj

In the mid 1930's the Fleet Air Arm were looking too a replacement for it's Hawker Nimrod fighters, so they approached several companies including Hawker . Whilst extremely busy with several projects including the Hurricane for the RAF ,designer Sydney Camm thought that a large advance was called for . He, therefore, sought out the assistance of a young RAF engineer named Frank Whittle whom he had previously met , between them they decided that the next generation of fighters should be bypassed completely , having seen developments in Germany  ,and that the new FAA fighter should be entirely radical in design.
The result was the Hawker-Whittle Sea Harrier, a generation ahead of anything flying in the world, powered by jet-thrust , the exhausts could be swivelled to decrease the take off or landing run . In fact it was claimed it could take off almost vertically. The maximum speed was found to be nearly 700mph , well above the predicted 450 mph.
Operated first by 802 sqd FAA aboard HMS Glorious , the Sea Harriers proved invaluable in preventing the German invasion of Norway , decimating the piston powered Me 109's of the Luftwaffe. Providing top cover for the Spitfires and Hurricanes of the Royal Air Force they helped stop the Luftwaffe in its tracks during the Battle of Britain .
In September 1940 ,realising how badly things were going Adolf Hitler sued for peace and shortly afterwards realising that they had a "lame duck" government the German army toppled the Nazi regime and the resy as they say is history

Model from 1/48 Aifix kit

PR19_Kit

SUPERB! No other word for it.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I love the 'period' serial number as well, VERY deep thinking there.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Steel Penguin

that is brilliant   :thumbsup:

it just looks sooooo good
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

AeroplaneDriver

Looks soooo good in those 30s colors!  Nicely done!   :thumbsup:
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Riksbar

That is STUNNING! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: A simple, original idea, well executed.
"Inconceivable!"

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

McColm

Glenn Gilbertson

That looks wonderful! :thumbsup: A pity that the rw FAA did not do such a retro paint for Sea Harrier retirement.

chrisonord

That looks very striking  in that colour scheme, very nice  and a brilliant  back story too. Only if eh?? :thumbsup:
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Glenn Gilbertson on November 17, 2020, 01:40:48 PM
That looks wonderful! :thumbsup: A pity that the rw FAA did not do such a retro paint for Sea Harrier retirement.

Yep, would make a nice retirerment or anniversary scheme.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wurgerman

A historic Harrier, nice work !

Wurgerman

Caveman

secretprojects forum migrant