Main Menu

A Captured Ms 406

Started by NARSES2, November 13, 2020, 06:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Just to prove that I do intend to take part in this G.B. here's some starter pics. from what will be the first of my two (hopefully) builds.

Box

Sprues

Bits and Bobs

Colourful options in the box- some of these are already earmarked for other projects.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I always see the Ms 406 as a 'Hurricane' against the Dewoitines 520's 'Spitfire' for some reason.  :(

Some fascinating schemes in that kit.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 13, 2020, 07:04:50 AM
I always see the Ms 406 as a 'Hurricane' against the Dewoitines 520's 'Spitfire' for some reason.  :(

You and me both Kit.

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 13, 2020, 07:04:50 AM

Some fascinating schemes in that kit.

Yup, must admit I'm sorely tempted by trying to do a Vichy scheme on something one day. The thing I do like about French aircraft is their unit markings, the ones in this kit will get used on other subjects  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 13, 2020, 07:50:51 AM

Yup, must admit I'm sorely tempted by trying to do a Vichy scheme on something one day. The thing I do like about French aircraft is their unit markings, the ones in this kit will get used on other subjects  :thumbsup:

Perhaps the singular Spitfire Mk 1 that the Armee de l'Air got before they were overun?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Nick

My money is on Thailand in the 1940-41 period, with Vietnam in 1945-54 as a close runner up.

NARSES2

Quote from: Nick on November 13, 2020, 10:51:41 AM
My money is on Thailand in the 1940-41 period, with Vietnam in 1945-54 as a close runner up.

You'll be getting a job in Downing St next Nick given this innate ability to leak things to the press that you are showing  ;D

Yes, she is going to be Royal Thai Air Force (I had to check when they changed from Siam and it was 1932). I haven't decided yet if she will be a one off, captured during the brief Franco-Thai War after crash landing in Thai territory or one of a squadrons worth "captured" from the French by the Japanese when they seized control of Indo-China in 1945 and handed over to the Thai's.

jcf

Roundel, "bars" or elephant?  ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Thai_Air_Force#Aircraft_insignia

Roundels:

1919-1940, 1945 - present

1940-1941

1941-1945

Tail flash:

Same for roundel and "bars".
1919-1940, 1945 - present

1941-1945

Sport21ing

I said all elephants, maybe
My deviantart page:
http://sport16ing.deviantart.com/

PS: Not my art, not very good at drawning :P

AeroplaneDriver

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Dizzyfugu

For that time frame, elephants. Nice idea!  :thumbsup:

That could become colorful affair, because French aircraft in the SEA region had all red tails, together with the red and yellow Vichy armistice stripes on the engine. That, together with the original French paint scheme, outpainted original roundels/fin flash and the elephant markings, should look great?  :wub:

Here's an 1942 MS 406 under Japanese command, based at Tong (Tonkin). The all-red tails were AFAIK introduced after such a Vichy machine was mistaken for an American aircraft and shot down.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Well don't say I don't listen to the people  :angel:

I've found some Thai Elephant transfers at the Big H and they will get ordered tomorrow. I must admit I wasn't aware of the Elephant markings being used in the time scale I plan for this build.

The red tail came into use sometime during 1941, I did read exactly when the other day, but I can't find the reference now, and as Dizzy say's it was because of a "friendly fire" incident. Some time latter full Vichy stripes were introduced. Mine will not have the stripes.

NARSES2

Meanwhile the build continues. The interior is together and painted and despite being small it's quite detailed without being overly fussy. Although the seatbelts, whilst nice, are not 1/72 scale, at least not when compared to some Eduard ones I forgot I had. Much to big. Still with a closed canopy, no open option, and a lot of frames I doubt it will notice.

Now need to see if this nice interior actually fits into the fuselage without a struggle, where's the "fingers crossed" icon ?

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 15, 2020, 06:38:34 AM
...where's the "fingers crossed" icon ?

Here you go.  Albeit tiny.

🤞🏼
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..