Area 88: The Base diorama

Started by Spey_Phantom, November 13, 2020, 02:34:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spey_Phantom

this is going to be my largest diorama base ever, with added details.
this will represent Asran's Air Force Foreign Legion airfield, AKA:"Area 88".

over the past months i have been gathering some raw materials to construct this base, but due to budget problems i had to cut some corners and find alternative materials. the plans for hangars and building have all been drawn up and im ready to begin.

the base will consist of an aircraft revetment, control tower, maintainance hangar and Mc Coy's warehouse.

i have started with a revetment to house 2 aircraft, to cut corners and make quick adjustments, i have built the base for it out of old Lego bricks. these will be dressed up and detailed with styrene rod and plasticard to make them look like revetments. to represent the sand filling on top, im gonna spray some sandpaper in sand color and cut them to size to fill in the gaps.

so here are 2 pictures to show you whats going on at the moment, im using mostly reference pictures from Vietnam War US Airfields and Israeli bases from the 60's/70's that were built with French help.

the bottom picture is a full scale design sketch on an A2 size paper.

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

tigercat

Look forward to following this .

Lego is a great idea as second hand is a lot more cost effective

If you're  making buildings I'd reccomend Wills Craftsman range for model railways . They give you bits to build what's on box based on raw materials in their range however you can assemble them however you want .

Spey_Phantom

first plastic has been cut, for old man McCoy's warehouse. still need to cut out the raised foundation.

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Spey_Phantom

managed to get the main assembly done on McCoy's warehouse, just need to figure out the interiour.

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Spey_Phantom

Update:

its been a while, but i made some progress.
the plastic for the last building has been cut. the roughbuild on the hangars and McCoy's workshop is done, all it needs is some more detailwork and doors on the hangars.

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Spey_Phantom

i finished the rough building on the command building and the control tower.
i accidently built the main building a little bigger then was my original design, but it turned out okay as it was going to be too small anyway. everything is now dry fitted (control tower top not visible) and so far it looks good, now comes the detailing work, thats gonna take some time. i still need to make decals for interiours and exteriours of the warehouse and the hangar.

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

Flyer

"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

zenrat

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Spey_Phantom

Quote from: zenrat on February 03, 2021, 01:35:38 AM
Is this 1/144 or 1/72?
1/144 scale, but looking at the length of the buildings, im thinking of dropping the revetment as it takes up too much space.
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

zenrat

Quote from: Nils on February 03, 2021, 02:46:55 AM
Quote from: zenrat on February 03, 2021, 01:35:38 AM
Is this 1/144 or 1/72?
1/144 scale, but looking at the length of the buildings, im thinking of dropping the revetment as it takes up too much space.

Thank flip for that.  I was worried about a potential global styrene shortage...

;D
Fred

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on February 03, 2021, 02:54:58 AM

Thank flip for that.  I was worried about a potential global styrene shortage...

;D

;D