Main Menu

Kitbasher's Captured GB Diary

Started by kitbasher, November 03, 2020, 09:23:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

1-3 November 2020
Dear diary,
The GB has started!   Finally my motivation to get a couple of part-builds finished (but not as GB entries, although I must post pictures of the completed items elsewhere in the GB thread).  More importantly, a chance to finally make a start on a long-planned FW190D-15 whif.  Now that I've decided which of my two Airfix 'Doras' to use (not the one that lost its nose to my La-5D a few years ago, that'll become a real world D-11) it's a case of scribing some panel lines and making a few cuts here and there to make way for a new nose and new fin/rudder.  I've had those resin parts in the stash for ages now, it'll be good to finally get round to using them.
The D-15 is an odd beast, no one's quite sure whether it actually existed other than on paper.  Some claim it did and I'm sure I've seen a claim somewhere that at least three Werk Nummers were assigned to prototypes.  Who knows.  Who cares, frankly, because this is a whif.
I do like the Airfix FW190D-9 (not the ancient 60's version, the 70's version that was also boxed by Heller).  It's a simple kit and hailed in certain quarters as having the most accurate outline of all of the 1/72 'Doras'.  The Tamiya kit is definitely a much more refined kit and I've got one in the stash.  I guess I could have used that but I'll probably sell it off - would get more for that than an old Airfix kit in a Heller box, I reckon!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Sport21ing

Well, the Soviets did operate D-9's on theirs Baltic Fleet VVS

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/456/1/0#3
My deviantart page:
http://sport16ing.deviantart.com/

PS: Not my art, not very good at drawning :P

kitbasher

4-8 November 2020
Dear diary,
I'm a disappointment to myself, I know.  Not as much done as I intended, but hey, other things to be doing.  At least the panel line scribing is done, the tail removed ahead of fitting an Arba 'square' Ta152 unit and the wing and propeller parts glued together.  One fuselage half has had its nose removed ready for a C Scale Ta152 nose.  All of the extraneous parts have been removed from the sprues and bagged.  Mustn't forget to put them with the small bag of FW190 bits and bobs.
I think tomorrow some basic cockpit adornment/assembly before the fuselage halves go together and I finish prepping the nose.  Keep it simple.
Must post a pic or two as well.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitbasher

8-15 November 2020
Dear diary,
Enjoyed the cutting, managed to keep the cuts straight!  New fin/rudder went on with no trouble (phew - some filling and sanding needed of course, but not much), but the new nose is another matter.

The replacement item appeared to be a shoe-in from all angles, but when fitted it was very apparent that the Airfix fuselage narrows quite quickly ahead of the windscreen.  Much blending in is needed, as one can see from the scrap plastic slapped on to the model.  I shouldn't have been surprised by this: the new nose is intended for a Ta152, which has a far longer nose than the FW190D and with different contours to boot.  Some very careful (and patient!) PSR will be needed to blend in the nose.  Still early days and it's not like I don't have other builds to keep me occupied!

I must delve further into the D-15's armament, which of the sources I've found to date are correct?  Some say there are outer wing guns, others don't; some even say there were no nose guns.  But I guess it is a whif so there's scope for artistic license.

kitbasher

29 November 2020
Dear Diary,

Well that's the filling done on the D-15 (what a handsome aeroplane) and sanded down.  Just one small area needs a bit more attention; after that I'll need to re-scribe some lost panel lines and fit the tailplanes, then priming can begin.  I'm sure that'll expose minor filling needs but I'm reasonably confident that there won't be much to do - I certainly hope not!  In the margins I can turn attention to the undercarriage.

The 'in the background' Ki-61 has been more or less tidied up ahead of priming.  Some location holes are needed for the broken off cannon and radio mast (how the pitot survived is beyond me!) and it's time to rebuild the main undercarriage. 

Also in the background is a PM Ta154 that's been languishing on the shelf for ages - actually so close to completion it's embarrassing to think I never finished it!  Anyway, final sanding down revealed one minor wing trailing edge gap that'll get some quick Perfect Plastic Putty treatment while the fuselage gets primed.

I do have a second GB entry in mind but won't start that until the three above are well into the painting stage and ideally one is finished.  I suspect the Ki-61 will win that particular race.  I may not even do a second entry, and instead return to other part builds.

kitbasher

6 December 2020

Dear Diary,

Well my filling/sanding patience paid off with the FW190D-15, a first priming coat shows one or two areas needing a bit more attention, but not much.  Having painted the wheel wells and u/c legs I think the next thing will be to sort out the wheel hubs then the tyres.  At the same time I'll do the same with the 'background' Ki-61 - might as well if the same paints are open and any mixes for tyre colours are done. I think I'll make a start on the 190's prop spinner too.

The 190D-15 will be in a Luftwaffe camo scheme, as will the Ta154 that's finally got it's canopy on.  After very many years!!  The Ki-61 won't be in a Japanese scheme.  All will be revealed.

Note to self, though.  I think it was Nick who commented in his blog about 'no more cheap kits'.  Not quite for me - cheap doesn't necessarily mean bad quality but what I won't make a point of doing again is buying ancient tosh like the Revell Ki-61, or tosh of any age such as the Ta154.  Have never consigned a part-build to the bin but the 154 has come close on several occasions.  Having chopped up one of their F-16s up for whiffery many years ago (pre-forum/SIG days, build is no longer with us and no pics of it - it was a canard twin-finned affair) and whiffed their F-100 no more PM products for me!  Although the Sea Fury is a good - if basic - basis for a decent build (I have one real world, one whiffed, one in a whif build (Airfix rebox) and another in the stash (bought from BC Shavers)) - but IIRC that was originally a Pioneer 2 kit not PM from the off, which is probably why it's better than other PM kits.  Oh yes, I've a PM Beech 18 in the stash but that also has Pioneer 2 origins.

Enough of this ramble - home alone next weekend so much building planned.  and possibly pics too!

kitbasher

26 December 2020

Dear Diary,

Well, that's Christmas done and this rubbish year nearly over.  Then it'll have been 5 years since I bought one of the GB 'background builds', supposedly for a quick build.  Rome wasn't built in a day, was it, and neither is this particular kit!  But it's nearly done (just a bit of touching up here and there, plus one maybe two moere home-made decals) - fingers crossed all will be revealed in the next day or so.  Here's a clue as to what to expect: T.A.I.C.

The other background build is getting there, as is the Dora 15.  Fingers crossed once I fashion the air intake the rest will be plain sailing.  Unless I do a Kit, a Dizzyfugu or a TomZ and really pull my finger out I don't see me getting that second GB entry done.  That'll be a shame, as it's a way of building an old but not great kit (as opposed to the background builds, one of which is ancient and not very good, the other not so old but just as bad).

kitbasher

29 December 2020

Dear diary,

The Tony's done, what a journey it's been! A 5-year quick build - ha, fat chance!  Gone from a planned straight build to a Ki-61 masquerading as something Macchi in Italian markings to the same but in Irish markings, to Tiger Force fighter affiliation  to early post-war flight testing akin to TAIC11 (http://silverhawkauthor.com/images/site_graphics/Aviation/OMAR_Air_Museum_Kabul/Japanese_Mitsubishi_A6M5_Model_52_Zero_TAIC_11_RAF.jpg) and sort of back a bit again. 

Ki-61 c/n/ 263 was found by US forces at Tuvalu airfield on 26 December 1943.  It was shipped to Australia in 1944, stripped of paint, re-serialled XJ300 and restored to flying condition.  It was shipped to the US in July 1944 and assigned to the Technical Air Intelligence Centre for flight testing as TAIC9, being written off in a crash in July 1945.

However, in Whifworld it was decided (April 1945) to transfer the aircraft to the Chittagong-based Allied Technical Air Intelligence Unit - South East Asia for evaluation and fighter affiliation to inform the tactics to be employed by RAF Tiger Force.  British markings were applied through the simple expedient of overpainting US markings with the newly devised British Pacific Fleet marking that would also be applied to Tiger Force aircraft.  Ironic then that what could be considered to be the first Tiger Force aircraft in Theatre was in fact a captured aircraft.

Kit is the old Revell kit, originally from 1963.  Ancient, and it shows.  Probably considered cutting edge when it first came out, overdue an honourable retirement!  the decal sheet is really good and I'd use it on a better kit, for sure.  In fact the Ki-61 is such a pretty aircraft I'm tempted to get a Hasegawa or Tamiya kit to build a real-world example.

Back to the model.  The national markings are from Xtradecal 72-064, the rest are all homemade.  A slight departure for me was t follow NARSES2's lead and use strips of painted decal sheet for the canopy framing.  Worked reasonably well, I think, but a sequence for applying the strips really does need to be worked out to minimise obvious overlaps.  Touching the overlaps up with paint (using an extremely fine paintbrush!) helped a lot.  The one concession to accuracy was to shorten the main u/c legs, which are far too long.

Anyway, demon exorcised, back to the other 'background build' and of course the 190D-15.

NARSES2

Oh that's nice Dave  :thumbsup:

I know it's the markings making me think of it, but I can see that sitting on the deck of Indefatigable  ;D

Quote from: kitbasher on December 29, 2020, 04:55:21 AM

A slight departure for me was t follow NARSES2's lead and use strips of painted decal sheet for the canopy framing.  Worked reasonably well, I think, but a sequence for applying the strips really does need to be worked out to minimise obvious overlaps.  Touching the overlaps up with paint (using an extremely fine paintbrush!) helped a lot. 

If you intend to use that method more frequently the when Model Shows (remember those ?) start up again invest in some 0.5mm/1.0mm/1.5mm/3.00mm masking tape. Saves a lot of time with cutting ordinary width tape. ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

31 December 2020

Dear diary,

Thank goodness this year is very nearly done, 2021 can only be better.

I must apologise to NARSES2 for suggesting he used decal strips when he actually uses painted up masking tape. 

Anyway diary, you must remind me NEVER to countenance buying another PM Ta154.  While the Tony was just a very old kit, the 154 is simply dreadful.  I struggle to think of it in terms of 20-year old limited run quality (which in all honesty it is - shame on Airfix for reboxing it as an FW190/Ta154Mistel). But I've persevered with it and assembly is almost complete - 6 more pieces to attach and the painting to be finished.  Then it's all hands to the Ta152 pumps to get that done. TBH assembly is done, just the painting to knuckle down to.

NARSES2

Quote from: kitbasher on December 31, 2020, 09:15:40 AM

I must apologise to NARSES2 for suggesting he used decal strips when he actually uses painted up masking tape. 

No need mate. I tried the painted transfer strips, but couldn't get to grips with it. Firstly they tended to disintegrate and secondly I could never manage to make accurate enough cuts, so they were always "wonky". Hence the move to pre cut tape
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

3 January 2021

Dear diary,

The 190D-15 has its main u/c on at long last.  Reminded me how stalky the 190's undercart is, so leaving it at least a day to properly cure hard.  Next step will be to fashion and fit a DF loop (the kit lacks one), finish off and fit the supercharger intake and when that's all in place the apply a topcoat of Xtracolor RLM76.

It was good to make more progress with the 154 - painting including some touching up of small parts.  Assembly is done apart from the wing light cover, which will go on last of all.  Reminder #2 of the morning - why I don't do mottled finished very often!  Hmm.  Now the paint has dried somewhat it doesn't look as bad as I thought but a topcoat of the Grauviolett is needed.  Will take a different approach when finishing off the RLM75 - paint solid patches then when thoroughly dry finish of with some dry brush stippling.  When all that is dry it's a case of freehand application of Medium Sea Grey 'shapes' to represent where the German markings have been overpainted ahead of the application of British markings.  Just using Humbrol with this build - I want to get it out of the way!

kitbasher

5 January 2021

Dear Diary,

D-15 building nearly done, here it is with canopy and prop placed on/into the model.  Need to reattach the broken cannon barrels and pitot.  Last minute double-check of armament calls for last minute adjustments, that's just a few minutes effort and when all safe and secure I can start painting properly (there's just an undercoat on at the moment with the scribed panel lines pencilled in - a bit of the pencilling will bleed through into the top coat).

NARSES2

kitbasher

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 06, 2021, 06:41:42 AM
Looking neat mate  :thumbsup:

Thank you Chris, kind of you to say so.  The FW190Ds are I think very handsome aircraft - flying Audis!  The radial 190s are quite pugnacious beasts, not as good looking but purposeful; of these, the A-8/F-8s with the blown canopies I'd say are the best looking.

Each to their own.  I prefer Griffon Spitfires to Merlin Spitfires, for example.