Fiat CR-32. People's Front of Catalunya. Barcelona 1937.

Started by zenrat, October 29, 2020, 03:48:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Fiat CR-32.  People's Front of Catalunya.  Barcelona 1937.
Fiat CR-32 Catalonia. - 2 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The chaos of the early years of the Spanish Civil War allowed the Anarcho-Syndicalist-Separatists of the People's Front of Catalunya to seize control in the name of the Catalan people and, in league with Basque Separatists and Gascon Liberationists claim independence for Northern Spain and the Pyrenean region.

Fiat CR-32 Catalonia. - 14 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Their equipment was a rag-tag selection, captured from either Republicans or Nationists, stolen from pirated shipments, or occasionally provided by whichever society hostesses could be sweet talked and/or blackmailed into supporting the cause by the team of good looking young lotharios who travelled between European capitals.

Fiat CR-32 Catalonia. - 8 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The aircraft shown was taken from a Nationalist airfield on a moonless night by Captain Josep Escolà Segalés who then claimed it as his personal aircraft likening his actions as being akin to breaking a horse - because he had taken her she would only give her best if piloted by him.

Fiat CR-32 Catalonia. - 20 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The PFC marked their aircraft with the red and yellow bars of the Catalunyan flag.  Some added a blue triangle with white star to the rudder, but not all.

Fiat CR-32 Catalonia. - 6 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The Model.
Supermodel Fiat CR-32 built OOB.
Painted with Vallejo Acrylics.
Decals from a Printscale Kawasaki Ki-61 Hien set.  They were slightly irritating to apply because while some were individual pieces some were connected in groups.  But there was no way to tell which were which until I had wet them and was trying to apply them.

Fuel truck is a Bedford QL cab and AEC Matador tank (both from the Airfix refuelling set) mounted on an Academy Deuce and a Half chassis.

Fiat CR-32 Catalonia. - 22 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Tophe

What I prefer there are the asymmetrically coloured spats :thumbsup: ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

I'm not the world's biggest biplane fan, but that looks the BUSINESS Fred.

A great job, and super backstory too.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Thanks folks.
As far as biplanes go this is a good one as the only rigging is between the interplane struts.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

stevehed

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Old Wombat

Are you sure it's not the Catalunyan People's Front? :unsure:

Pretty little plane, either way. ;) :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Thanks folks.

Stevehed - the struts were a PitA.  I attached the upper wing to the fuselage with a lump of Blu Tac and then glued the (eight separate) interplane struts in place.  I'd normally leave the upper wing separate to make it easier to paint and rig but I didn't this time because with eight separate struts only connected at one end I knew i'd knock at least one and probably four or five off during the process.  Also, there is minimal rigging on the CR-32 which I reckoned would be easy to do with both wings in place.
Fred

Hotte

stevehed

Quote from: zenrat on October 30, 2020, 02:39:09 AM
Thanks folks.

Stevehed - the struts were a PitA.  I attached the upper wing to the fuselage with a lump of Blu Tac and then glued the (eight separate) interplane struts in place.  I'd normally leave the upper wing separate to make it easier to paint and rig but I didn't this time because with eight separate struts only connected at one end I knew i'd knock at least one and probably four or five off during the process.  Also, there is minimal rigging on the CR-32 which I reckoned would be easy to do with both wings in place.

Totally agree. I hadn't thought of bluetak although the stuff I have wants to stick when it shouldn't. On mine I drilled locating holes for the cabanes to replace the lug system. Used rod for the cabanes and installed one side of the kit interplanes. Looked ok to me but the other side were about half a mille short. I was going to squeeze the wing to close the gap and use CA gel but instead replaced the struts with plastic rod. Whoever devised this system must have had at the very least a severely warped sense of humour. The recent re-issue by AZ or A Model, I not sure which, uses the same method judging by the sprues. A lovely kit when finished but getting there is hard on the nerves.

comrade harps

Quote from: Tophe on October 29, 2020, 04:05:31 AM
What I prefer there are the asymmetrically coloured spats :thumbsup: ;D

And the prop tips, too!

Brilliant!  :wub: the camo and the attention to detail in totally subverting it with the jingoistic nationalist colours of a flamboyant egomaniac. I dips me lid.
Whatever.