Scissors for vacform canopies

Started by chrisonord, October 22, 2020, 02:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

I  am after a  pair of  decent but not too expensive  scissors to cut vacform canopies with.  All my  scissors including my fly tying  ines are struggling with the  canopy  on my T.188. Any recommendations  on a decent pair would be  much appreciated.
Cheers
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

kitnut617

a good quality brand finger nail pair is what I use.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

chrisonord

Cheers Robert, I  think I have some of those  but the blades are  curved.  I will  look for some straight edged ones. :thumbsup:
Chris

zenrat

I have a pair of stainless steel scissors I liberated from a first aid kit I was parting out.  Straight blades, longer handles than the usual small nail scissors.
They are meant for cutting clothing and dressings.
Try in the appropriate section of a chemists
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: kitnut617 on October 22, 2020, 03:15:56 PM
a good quality brand finger nail pair is what I use.

Second that. I have a Zwilling finger nail scissor - actually bought for its natural field of use, but the extra bucks spent for them paid out: Still sharp and exact after many years, and my to-go tool for vacu canopies or other sheet material cuts that call for delicate, crisp edges.
Cheap stuff tends to lose its sharpness much quicker, and the link tends to loosen/wear out much quicker.

NARSES2

I have a pair of small, straight bladed veterinary scissors a friend's veterinary nurse daughter got for me. Secret is to keep them sharp. You can always get them sharpened at places that sharpen knives etc if you can't yourself. I was useless at sharpening tools at school and still am.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

I think investing in a couple of different types could be helpful, especially with the canopy on this T.188 as its an awkward shape to cut properly
Chris

PR19_Kit

The whole T.188 is an awkward shape! But very interesting nonetheless.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Sometimes if a vacform canopy is an awkward shape to cut out I'll fill it with Blue Tack which means that you have something "sturdier" to cut and can see the frame line more clearly. Make sure you've dipped the canopy in Klear or whatever you use a couple of times before using the Blue Tack though to avoid any becoming a nuisance to remove. It can be a persistent little so and so  when it comes to clinging on sometimes.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

Thankyou for the tip Chris, I have  some  blue tac somewhere in the house  :thumbsup:
Chris

chrisonord

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 24, 2020, 04:55:41 AM
The whole T.188 is an awkward shape! But very interesting nonetheless.
You are not wrong there Kit, I am taking my time with it as I have already  broken a piece of it off that I can't find . It will be suitably armed with  firestreak missiles  of course.

Mossie

Quote from: zenrat on October 23, 2020, 03:30:47 AM
I have a pair of stainless steel scissors I liberated from a first aid kit I was parting out.  Straight blades, longer handles than the usual small nail scissors.
They are meant for cutting clothing and dressings.
Try in the appropriate section of a chemists

Or search Amazon for Tuff Cut scissors, you can get them for under a fiver.

Curved nail cutters might help for canopies.  I've got a pair of straight edged nail cutters from a pound shop.  They're okay, but aren't sprung, that's useful.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

chrisonord

I am escaping from the house  tomorrow  to see my doctor  so I  will see what scissors I can find in the shop nearby, I  will get a few different pairs as I want some  better ones for cutting decals out too.
Chris

NARSES2

Butter up the practice nurse while your there, they may have some they're going to throw out ?  ;)

My practice nurse lets me use their "sharps box" to safely dispose of old scalpel blades so you never know  :angel:

chrisonord

No such  luck  I am afraid  Chris, I  got there only to be told I  can't  see him and that I will have to rebook a telephone consultation.  Nobody let me know  this in the meantime  so I  had a wasted journey.  I wasn't impressed  and told them too. No luck in  the two shops I  thought would  sell them either.  Looking like I will have a  buy online  instead. Marvellous.  :banghead:
Chris