Main Menu

Armoured train Valkyrie

Started by tigercat, October 21, 2020, 04:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigercat

I'm going to try something different and go for an Armoured Train . Captured as the Allies roll through Europe and redeployed .

Old Wombat

Make it more fun: Make it a Soviet armoured train captured & used by the Germans, then captured & used by the Allies! :wacko:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kerick

That would be wild! German and Soviet weapons on the same train. :wacko:
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

tigercat

medium.com/war-is-boring/a-remarkable-armored-train-fought-its-way-across-eurasia-db3e3180b50c

I'll see what's in the spares box :)  Given the Germans magpie tendencies it could be very eclectic .

loupgarou

Quote from: kerick on October 21, 2020, 07:30:35 PM
That would be wild! German and Soviet weapons on the same train. :wacko:

Not so wild, I'd say even usual.
German armoured trains included everything  that moved, from WW1 austrian wagons, to polish and obviously a lot of russian units, adapting and modifying them endlessly. "Standard" BP 42 and 44 tpes are a late development and rarely really complete as designed.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

PR19_Kit

Which track gauge would it be though?

The Russian gauge is 5 ft (1520 mm for Metricheads) and the German gauge is 4' 8.5" (1435 mm...) as is most of the rest of Europe.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

tigercat

It'll be captured in Europe so European gauge although practically it'll be 00

loupgarou

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 22, 2020, 04:08:01 AM
Which track gauge would it be though?

The Russian gauge is 5 ft (1520 mm for Metricheads) and the German gauge is 4' 8.5" (1435 mm...) as is most of the rest of Europe.

Germans were very adept both at re-gauging tracks, and pressing together wagon wheelsets. They had mobile workshops for that.

Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Captain Canada

Great story in that link. Neat stuff to be sure, and defo somat to explore further. I would opine that going through the motions, you might as well do it in one of the popular model railroad scales. Be pretty cool to see one rolling about in HO scale !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

tigercat

Am starting to look for spares and repairs wagons  for conversion

jcf

Paul Malmassari's Armoured Trains tome shows that modification of armament
was pretty standard when trains changed hands.

loupgarou

Quote from: Captain Canada on October 22, 2020, 08:54:41 AM
Great story in that link. Neat stuff to be sure, and defo somat to explore further. I would opine that going through the motions, you might as well do it in one of the popular model railroad scales. Be pretty cool to see one rolling about in HO scale !

If you go for WW2, lot of materials already available, from Liliput's Pazerdraisinen to russian trains from obscure ukrainian brands like REModel, to resin kits (Wespe, Artmaster, old Artitec etc)

tigercat

First up armoured diesel . The donor kit was prepainted when bought as a spares lot so needs some olive drab 

PR19_Kit

I know a Bullied Light Pacific when I see one.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit