Armstrong Whitworth A.W.156 “Nodens”

Started by Leading Observer, October 14, 2020, 04:58:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leading Observer

A not so little project I am working on. [FYI Nodens is the name of the Celtic God of the Sea and Hunting].
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

chrisonord

Looking forward to this, any more information on said  aircraft?
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Leading Observer

Quote from: chrisonord on October 14, 2020, 05:21:02 AM
Looking forward to this, any more information on said  aircraft?
Chris

I have a back story I'm tinkering with ;) watch this space ;D
LO

chrisonord

Leading Observer

In early 1949 it became apparent that the AVRO Shackleton programme was falling behind schedule, and the Air Ministry began looking around for an alternative airframe that could be adapted to the Maritime Patrol role as a stopgap measure.

At the same time Armstrong Whitworth was developing its relationship with the American Northrop Corporation, specifically in the area of Flying Wing aircraft design, and it was this collaboration that lead to the A.W.156 project.
LO

chrisonord

Ooooooh!
When I work out where to display it and how to store it  safely, I have a  similar idea for a Boeing B-47, with Bristol Olympus engines  and  some highly offensive weapons.  I am  looking forward to seeing this one  :thumbsup:
Chris

Tophe

I have not the complete collection of "British Secret Projects" books... Is the AW.156 a true project that you will imagine as actually built, or an invention from your own mind (welcome!)? :unsure: ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Leading Observer

Quote from: Tophe on October 16, 2020, 08:31:48 AM
I have not the complete collection of "British Secret Projects" books... Is the AW.156 a true project that you will imagine as actually built, or an invention from your own mind (welcome!)? :unsure: ;D

The AW156 number is from my imagination. The back story will explain the history I came up with. The actual aircraft will be instantly recognisable apart from its colour scheme
LO

Tophe

All right, that was one of the two possibilities, not worse than the other. (In the whif world, all is possible, almost) ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Leading Observer

Armstrong Whitworth A.W.156 "Nodens" 220 Squadron RAF 1955
In early 1949 it became apparent that the AVRO Shackleton programme was falling behind schedule, and the Air Ministry began looking around for an alternative airframe that could be adapted to the Maritime Patrol role as a stopgap measure.
At the same time Armstrong Whitworth was developing its relationship with the American Northrop Corporation, specifically in the area of Flying Wing aircraft, and it was this collaboration that lead to the A.W.156 project.
By 1949, Northrop had realised that Convair were going to win the USAF long range bomber contract with the B-36, and offered the aircraft design to Armstrong Whitworth as possible contender to fill the Maritime Patrol role. Under the contract, 4 of the existing YB-49's would be flown to Armstrong's factory, where the 4 Allison J-35 engines would be replaced by Armstrong Siddeley Sapphires, which would result in an increase in thrust. At the same time the avionics were also to be converted to British equipment. Further aircraft would be manufactured under licence in the UK.
The opportunity to manufacture such an advanced aircraft in the UK was seized on eagerly by the Government of the day, and an order for an initial 12 aircraft was placed in early 1950. The first of the American YB-49's was delivered to the Armstrong Whitworth facility at Baginton for conversion to British specifications in May 1950, with the other 3 aircraft arriving over the next 4 months.
The conversion work took much longer than was initially estimated, as it was decided that the two of the bomb bays would be converted to house additional fuel tanks to extend the range and also to house two forward firing 57mm [6 Pdr] Molins guns with 50 round magazines. The proposed 4 gun rear armament was also replaced with a Magnetic Anomoly Dectector boom and as a result the first flight of the A.W.156, to be known as the Nodens MR.1 in service [Nodens is the name of the Celtic God of the Sea and Hunting], finally took place in the spring of 1952.
Performance of the aircraft was notably improved with the more powerful British engines, and the Test Pilots reported favourably on the handling of the aircraft. After initial trials, the aircraft was handed over to 220 Squadron at RAF St. Eval in Cornwall in the spring of 1953, with the other 3 converted YB-49 aircraft arriving at 2 month intervals.
These 4 aircraft were used by the RAF for conversion training, and the first all British example, now designated MR.2, was delivered to 220 Squadron in the summer of 1954, with final example arriving in early 1956.
Of course, by then, the problems with the Shackleton had long been resolved, so no further orders for the Nodens MR.2 were forthcoming and the aircraft were retired from service after 5 years in service and broken up by the end of the 1962.
The Nodens is best remembered for its part in Operation Puma in 1960, when 3 Noden MR.2 Aircraft were deployed to South Africa during one of the periodic episodes of tension between the UK and Argentina over the Falkland Islands. The aircraft were based at Ysterplaat and carried out a number of exercises with both Royal Navy and South African Naval units in the South Atlantic. The significant part of the Operation were the series of flights from South Africa to make patrols around the Falklands where they made sure that the aircraft were observed by both the Argentine Naval and Air Forces in the area, the large aircraft making a number of low passes over the Islands. This served as a warning to the Argentine Government, underling the UK's capability to defend the Islands if needed.

LO

zenrat

The whole high vs low demarcation thing is moot on this.  Good job.

:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

I LOVE it!  :wub:

The Nodens would make a great pair with my Northampton, a Napier Nomad engined B-35.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Marvellous stuff, I  am liking this  :wub: yet more ideas and lack of shelf space for them :banghead:
:thumbsup:
Chris

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter