CAC CA-14B Sea Wallaby

Started by Old Wombat, October 12, 2020, 07:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Finally, after 4 years of having the kits sitting in the stash, I'm going to be trying to bash a Boomerang & a Fw.190 into (a version of) apophenia's Sea Wallaby (over on Beyond the Sprues).

http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=4422.0 & pg's 43 & 44 of his general thread.

Blood Sacrifice to the Modelling Gods has been made (I stabbed myself in the hand 5 minutes into this, removing an extraction pin stub from inside the wing of the SH Boomerang, about 1cm wide by 1.5cm deep ... This should suffice to gain their blessings ... Maybe.) & the build has commenced.

You'd think after 4 years I'd have some sort of plan, but I don't. I haven't had the parts off the sprues to face up to each other until last night, so I'm making it up as I go along. The plane is going to be slightly larger than the profile & be fitted with an Aries R-2800 radial. The centre section of the wings & cockpit are going to be pretty-much all Boomerang, with the outer wings being Fw,190 & the nose & rear fuselage being a blend of the two.

Hopefully it works &, hopefully, I'll get it finished in time (It's being built for the BtS Invasion of Japan/Japan '46 GB, which ends on 30 November).

Where I'm at right now:

= Note the Sacrificial Hobby Knife just below the Fw.190 fuselage. ;) =
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Flyer

Watching this with extreme interest, got similar ideas in mind myself, 5 Boomerang kit's and 4 FW-190's (so far) to work with also...  :mellow: :thumbsup:
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

Old Wombat

Hopefully it's not How Not to Build a CA-12/Fw.190 Hybrid ;D

Tophe

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 12, 2020, 07:30:36 PM
I'm going to be trying to bash a Boomerang & a Fw.190 into (a version of) apophenia's Sea Wallaby
I am a little surprised that mixing two kits you will get a single result instead of two. (For instance, when I mixed a P-51 with a J.29, I got a P-51 with J.29 wings AND a J.29 with P-51 wings) :unsure: ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

AeroplaneDriver

We'll this looks like it could turn out lovely.   :wub:
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Thanks for the votes of confidence, guys! :bow: :bow: :bow:

@AeroplaneDriver: As I said above, mate;

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 12, 2020, 08:10:46 PM
Hopefully it's not How Not to Build a CA-12/Fw.190 Hybrid ;D

:thumbsup:

Old Wombat

Real Life & lots of fiddly bits (one of which has shot off to satiate the Carpet/Lino Monster) are slowing this down dreadfully! :o

Still, progress is progressing! I'll put up pic's of the cockpit, when I've finished it. :thumbsup:

After that will come the joining of the halves, followed by extensive plastic surgery. ;)

Scotaidh

"Real Life & lots of fiddly bits" - sounds rather like a '60s song title ...  :)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Old Wombat

Quote from: Scotaidh on October 18, 2020, 05:13:31 AM

"Real Life & lots of fiddly bits" - sounds rather like a '60s song title ...  :)

Pink Floyd ;)

nighthunter

"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Old Wombat

Anyone have any ideas on interior colours I might use for a late-war Australian designed naval aircraft? :unsure:

I have a whole bunch of paints, including good ol' interior green (which is, unfortunately, MiG Ammo, which I find has a tendency to gum up my airbraush), but I'd like to try something different but realistic (both for the cockpit & the interior (zinc chromate equivalent) protective primer).

I've noticed that most British late-war & early post-war British naval aircraft had black cockpits but, I think, Australian designers may have taken into consideration the sun & the heat that black absorbs in our climate & not used that colour. I've noticed that Airfix indicate Humbrol 74 Linen as the protective primer colour for other interior spaces in the Sea Fury but that seems a little odd to me.

So, if you can get back to me with your ideas in the next 16 hours, I would greatly appreciate your feed-back.

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Not sure about cockpit colours, but you could use Interior Green or maybe US Interior Green and say it was laying around the factory. If not then how about a slightly off matt white ?

As for wheel wells etc, some British types were simply using a clear lacquer finish over the bare metal as a protective coat by late war/post war. Other than that use Zinc Chromate yellow as again it was laying around ?

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Rat

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 12, 2020, 07:30:36 PM
You'd think after 4 years I'd have some sort of plan, but I don't.

"In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable." –General Dwight D. Eisenhower.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr