Su-21 "Phlagon" as F-4 Phantom mimic *finished*

Started by sandiego89, October 11, 2020, 06:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandiego89

Much like their United States adversaries over Vietnam, it was discovered that less experienced North Vietnamese aircrews (and their Soviet and Cuban "advisors") often experienced "buck fever" when first seeing a real enemy aircraft in combat.  This made the first few sorties especially hazardous for aircrews on both sides of the conflict.

*buck fever: nervous excitement of an inexperienced hunter at the sight of game*

In the United States, this was recognized in the Ault report and other studies and resulted in a major overhaul of the training systems for the US Navy and US Air Force and specialized schools, exercises, and programs were initiated to expose crews to more realistic combat scenarios.  These efforts included Top Gun, The Fighter Weapons School, Red Flag, and other highly secretive programs such as Contast Peg where crews flew against captured Soviet equipment. 

Within the Warsaw Pact, it was also recognized that giving crews exposure to western tactics and hardware would be of similar benefit. Several first and second-generation western jets were evaluated, but gaining access to more modern types proved troublesome.

Sukhoi was asked to create F-4 Phantom mimics from their Su-21 Flagon. While not an identical copy, the mimics proved to be usefull training aids.  When the type was first discovered by western analysts over a decade later it was derisively nicknamed the "Phlagon".

The kits:
1/72 Pioneer Sukhoi SU-21G.
1/72 Lindberg F-4G Phantom, and Hasegawa F-4J.   Primarily for reference and perhaps a few bits.
Miscellaneous Sparrow shapes.   

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

sandiego89

Work has commenced

thanks for the feedback Major and Dizzy.  Would like to see yours Major if you can find it.   

Dizzy, think I will keep the wings at the mid position, but they do need some Phantomization! 

The Flagon

The Lindberg Phantom.  Pretty cheap plastic. thin and flimsy

Someone is going to need a nose job...

Dave "Sandiego89"

kerick

That Lindberg Phantom is not even an F-4G but an RF-4. The camera nose is obvious. Who did that box art and labeling anyway, Borat?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

sandiego89

Quote from: kerick on October 11, 2020, 08:24:06 PM
That Lindberg Phantom is not even an F-4G but an RF-4. The camera nose is obvious. Who did that box art and labeling anyway, Borat?

It sure is a recce version.  It does come with two radomes to kinda make two variants, a chisel nose for a RF and a conical one, but you can't miss the camera ports on the side of the nose.  Also has the chin gun that covers up some of the RF nose.  Must have had a few boxings.  The plastic is see-thru.   :o

I could not justify cutting up some nicer Phantom kits for this, but the Lindbergs are fair game!  I picked up 3 for dirt cheap at Ollies discount center a few years ago, strictly for slaughter and as paint test subjects.   
Dave "Sandiego89"

PR19_Kit

That 'battle damaged' RF-4 was originally produced by another company, IMC maybe? JCF will know.  ;D

That was waaaaaay back in the 60s, and they did a few others like that too, amongst them an F-100 and a Mig 21.

I think I've still got them somewhere in The Loft, but goodness knows where.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 12, 2020, 12:03:31 AM
That 'battle damaged' RF-4 was originally produced by another company, IMC maybe? JCF will know.  ;D

That was waaaaaay back in the 60s, and they did a few others like that too, amongst them an F-100 and a Mig 21.

I think I've still got them somewhere in The Loft, but goodness knows where.

Scalemates indicates the battle damaged RF-4 was a 1969 release by IMC as an RF-4B.  Looks like I have the 2007 rebox by Lindberg. 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/imc-481-100-rf-4b-phantom-ii--155305

I also have the Battle Damaged F-100

Dave "Sandiego89"

sandiego89

Back to the bench

Nose differences.

1/100 scale snap Phantom has donated it's spine

new insert for extended rudder/vertical stabilizer.

Nose and spine grafted on. Vetical stabilizer reconfigured. Intakes reprofiled a bit.

Dave "Sandiego89"

NARSES2

For some reason I'm seeing that with wheels and making an attempt at the World Land Speed record ?

Impressive "joinery"  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

buzzbomb

Nice stuff, that is some very neat parts swappage. :thumbsup:

sandiego89

Complete.

Su-21G as Phantom II mimic/adversary by Sandiego89

1/72 Pioneer kit. 

Much like their United States adversaries over Vietnam, it was discovered that less experienced North Vietnamese aircrews (and their Soviet and Cuban "advisors") often experienced "buck fever" when first seeing a real enemy aircraft in combat.  This made the first few sorties especially hazardous for aircrews on both sides of the conflict.

*buck fever: nervous excitement of an inexperienced hunter at the sight of game*

In the United States, this was recognized in the Ault report and other studies and resulted in a major overhaul of the training systems for the US Navy and US Air Force and specialized schools, exercises, and programs were initiated to expose crews to more realistic combat scenarios.  These efforts included Top Gun, The Fighter Weapons School, Red Flag, and other highly secretive programs such as Contast Peg where crews flew against captured Soviet equipment.

Within the Warsaw Pact, it was also recognized that giving crews exposure to western tactics and hardware would be of similar benefit. Several first and second-generation western jets were evaluated, but gaining access to more modern types proved troublesome.

Sukhoi was asked to create F-4 Phantom mimics from their Su-21 Flagon. While not an identical copy, the mimics proved to be useful training aids.  When the type was first discovered by western analysts over a decade later it was derisively nicknamed the "Phlagon".

The kits:
1/72 Pioneer Sukhoi SU-21G.
1/72 Lindberg F-4G Phantom, and Hasegawa F-4J.   Primarily for reference and perhaps a few bits.
Miscellaneous Sparrow shapes.   

Dave "Sandiego89"

PR19_Kit

That is MARVELLOUS!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

At first sight you think, 'Why has that Phantom got such a large fin?' and then you look again and think 'Ooer.........?  :-\'
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

That really does look brilliant.  I had to look twice  and magnify the images as it certainly baffled me   :thumbsup:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

buzzbomb

Great finish. The subtle changes really work well :thumbsup:

AeroplaneDriver

So I got that going for me...which is nice....