HMS Triffid

Started by TomZ, September 29, 2020, 10:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomZ

HMS Triffid

In World War II the British and Canadians used a total of almost 300 corvettes of the Flower class. These were 205ft long ships used for the protection of convoys across the Atlantic. This meant that they were sent into action to find and destroy enemy submarines. Very early in the war the allies recognized that aerial reconnaissance could greatly improve the efficiency of the anti-submarine warfare.

In 1942 one of the corvettes, HMS Triffid, was modified to carry an autogyro. This meant that the entire afterdeck was covered with a landing platform. It carried one Avro C-30 Rota autogyro. Initial trials were positive although the landing of the autogyro on the small deck in rough seas was very difficult. The corvettes were not very big and in heavy seas they moved around quite a bit.

This diminished the effectiveness of the concept quite a lot as the autogyro could only be used in very calm weather. Because of these difficulties the HMS Triffid remained a one-off. It did keep its landing deck however and a limited number of flights were made with the on-board autogyro.

In 1952 the HMS Triffid was used as a trial vessel for the Royal Navy to carry a real helicopter on a warship. A Westland Willet (license-built Bell HSL-1) was carried during a number of cruises. The handling of the Willet was better than that of the Rota and this led to the fitting of helicopter decks to numerous Royal Navy vessels.

Kit: Revell 1/144 Flower Class Corvette, helicopters by Anigrand

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

tigercat

sounds intriguing

I always wondered  about the rotary kites the Uboats used and if the Allies could have used them

PR19_Kit

That's wonderful Tom, most impressive.  :thumbsup:

But isn't it 1/72 scale?

For sure Revell do a 1/72 Flower Class, it was the old Matchbox kit, and I know Anigrand do an HSS-1 in 1/72 as I've got one, but I didn't think either was available in 1/144.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TomZ

Kit,

They also have a 1/144 version:

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

PR19_Kit

Well I never knew that, thanks.  :thumbsup:

It'd be HUGE in 1/72.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

According to my late godfather (who served on a flower class corvette for a while) they would roll excessively on a damp tea towel.  It would be a very daring/brave/stupid aviator who tried to fly off HMS Triffid............ but this is Whiffworld, and that is a fascinating build!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Doug K

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 29, 2020, 01:17:04 PM
Well I never knew that, thanks.  :thumbsup:

It'd be HUGE in 1/72.  ;D

Most of the 1/72 ones I've seen are radio controlled 🙂

tigercat

I'm sure I've seen a Flower Class CAM ship somewhere

which corvette did he serve on ?

Old Wombat

Quote from: Rheged on September 29, 2020, 01:25:11 PM
According to my late godfather (who served on a flower class corvette for a while) they would roll excessively on a damp tea towel.

This is the same impression I got when I read Nicholas Monsarrat's Three Corvettes. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

buzzbomb

The concept is fascinating.

Be well worth seeing how it evolves

Rheged

Quote from: tigercat on September 29, 2020, 01:40:24 PM
I'm sure I've seen a Flower Class CAM ship somewhere

which corvette did he serve on ?

He was on the staff of Admiral Stephenson at Tobermorey in 1941 (HMS Western Isles) as his chief yeoman of signals, and spent time on several corvettes.   He was regular RN, having joined in 1937 and not a "hostilities only" seaman (or hostile ordinary seaman, as he called them)  As one of Stephenson's staff, I assume he spent time day-running on several vessels as a trainer/assessor.

Herewith the fruits of several seconds worth of research:-   http://www.secretscotland.org.uk/index.php/Secrets/HMSWesternIsles
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

tigercat

Monkey Stephenson the Terror of Tobermory

He must have had some interesting tales

I've got a book  somewhere about Sir Gilbert Stephenson

The Terror of Tobermory  by Richard Baker

zenrat

Brilliant.

I've long lusted after the 1/72 Flower Class.  Too rich for my blood though currently.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

nighthunter

I've wanted a 1/144 Flower-class to turn into a museum ship for my dad's model railroad layout. They would have faired well in the Pacific in the ASW role. I'm surprised the USN didn't use them in the PTO. How much did the 1/144 version set you back, Tom?
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*