S

Lockdown 2.0 Build List

Started by sideshowbob9, September 19, 2020, 02:45:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sideshowbob9

Not sure if there is a similar topic elsewhere already. With Lockdown: The Revenge increasingly looming on the horizon, what is on everybody's modelling to-do list for what promises to be a long, long winter? I haven't done any serious modelling in 2+ years but below is a list of what I intend to build, given the opportunity. There are a few so I can flit from one to t'other as I tend to do.

Su-15 --> Yak-28-64ish
F-100 with a MiG-19 rear section for a twin-engine variant
SB2C with a R-2800 and a 1/48th P-59 tail section as a USAAF A-32
Maybe another SB2C with a F-89 nose to form the core airframe of a Curtiss F-89?
J2F with the float cut off to create a bomb pannier for a Grumman BF-1
Buccaneer/Phantom hybrid (I've seen a cool drawing of one somewhere)
Butterfly-tail Buccaneer with MiG-19 tails?
MiG-21UM with a MiG-27 nose & hamster-cheek intakes - sturmovik-trainer?
3-seat Su-17 EW bird using combination of  maybe 2-seat Sea Fury canopy & Gannet spine?
2-seat Do-335 centre-section with the lower cockpit faired in to create a big P-51 on steroids type late-war fighter.
Ambitious and not fully formed: make a Tu-127-like bird using an Il-28, Su-17 and spares...

What's on your list?

zenrat

Quote from: sideshowbob9 on September 19, 2020, 02:45:58 AM
...2-seat Do-335 centre-section with the lower cockpit faired in to create a big P-51 on steroids type late-war fighter...

Hmmmm, I have been having similar thoughts but with the result being a racer not a fighter.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

I gave up on lists aeons ago, I'll just carry on with one or more of the 62 un-finished projects hanging around the place.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

I still have a big book of "ideas" in which I jot down any random thoughts I have, but as for build lists  :rolleyes:

Said book of "ideas" has just increased thanks to a list of ideas from a certain denizen of this parish  ;D Thankyou Sport21ing  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sideshowbob9

I think you've both presaged what will actually happen here. I'm a serial kit mangler-abandoner! It's great to have ideas bubbling forth again though!

Are everyone's ideas book/unfinished projects lists posted anywhere? Always keen to pilfer others' ideas!  ;D

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 19, 2020, 05:24:23 AM
I gave up on lists aeons ago, I'll just carry on with one or more of the 62 un-finished projects hanging around the place.

I found an idea list to be handy in order to remember those 62 un-started projects and their respective donors in the body bank...

PR19_Kit

I think I did post some of mine when we had the Project Poll many years ago, but we've changed servers a couple of times since then an they may not exist any more.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

I'm building until roughly the end of this month,then I'll start spraying.  It's the same pattern as every year, but I don't have that nasty deadline.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

zenrat

Under 'ronastrictions I actually get slightly less building time because my hours have been changed to 5 hours a day instead of some long days, some short days and every other Monday off.
Not that i'm complaining, i'm glad to still have a job.

Mrs z working from home also cuts into my time as suddenly there are a lot more urgent little jobs.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kerick

Maybe I'll get back to something I've started and finish one or two! Always stalls at the paint phase.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

McColm

I think this comes under the topic of 'future builds ', but if you want to know what I have started here goes my 1/72 collection:

The Mystic AEW.1,  based on the Breguet Br1250 flying boat version of the Breguet Br1150 Atlantic ATL1. My version uses the wing and engines from the Airfix Vickers Valiant, fuselage is the Revell Breguet Br1150 Atlantic ATL1 and Hasegawa Martin Marlin with the Cammett BAe Nimrod AEW.3 conversion set. The vertical tail fin is off an old Airfix Avro Vulcan.  Status just needs painting and decals added.

The Magestic AEW.3,  this is a kitbash of the old Airfix Avro Vulcan B.2 with the Mach2 Martin SeaMaster. I have used another Cammett BAe Nimrod AEW.3 conversion set for the nose and rear radomes. Status PSR.

Vickers Valiant AEW.3, secondhand already built but damaged Airfix Vickers Valiant B.1. I have added the nose and rear radomes from the Cammett BAe Nimrod AEW.3 conversion set. The rear radome has been cut to fit. In the bomb bay is the Flightpath EB-47H bulge.  Needs PSR and spare parts.

The Majestic is based on drawings of the maritime Vulcan and various Vulcan projects.  I have used a stretched Airfix BAe Nimrod MR.2P which sits on an upturned Airfix Avro Vulcan B.2. The Vulcan wings have been clipped and a pair of F-15 wings were glued on at a 45° angle. I noticed some cracks along the wings which need attending to and the undercarriage legs need fitting. PSR and painting is also planned.

The Hammer Head or Sea Victor MR.1 (other names have been used).
The Matchbox/Revell HP Victor K2 which was already built but needed tlc, is matted to the Mach2 Martin SeaMaster. It uses the SeaMaster wings glued to the Victor wings just past the drop tanks and the SeaMaster T-tail. Above the wingtip floats are a pair of ESM pods taken from the Airfix BAe Nimrod kit along with the search light pod /weather radar and wing fuel tank. I was a bit reckless in joining the two kits together which left two gaps along the front of the fuselage. This has been hidden by cutting the SeaMaster exhaust pipe covering and glued at an angle. The rear has two scratch built  ECM radomes , one of them could be used as the M.A.D. boom.  PSR stage.

The  American Avro Shackleton P-45 Maverick.
This started life as a Revell Avro Shackleton AEW.2,  but I have added the wings,  engines and main landing gear from a Academy Boeing B-377 Stratocruiser. It has a flat nose,  no tail fins and no glazing at the moment. I have tested the propellers from the Heller DC-6B and they seem to fit.

The Starliner.
Another Hasegawa Martin Marlin with the Airfix Lockheed Constellation Super-G glued to it. It has the Flightpath Rolls-Royce Merlin 85s resin engines from the Avro Lincoln B.Mk.1 conversion set. The wingtips have the twin jet engines from the Hasegawa B-47E in a vertical position and glued to this is the pair of upper tail fins,  below is a pair of floats from the Marlin. Structural work is needed to strengthen the floats and PSR everywhere else.

The Duchess of Erith.
This started life as the Revell Blohm and Voss BV-222A,  all the gun positions have been removed. The wings are from the AMT/ERTL Northrop YB-49 flying wing,  so it's a jet powered flying boat. It does have an upper deck which is from the Heller Lockheed L-749 Constellation-cut to fit the contours. Based on a Bv design but this only has eight jet engines. PSR and a colour scheme is needed.

Based on the Boeing Model 367-1 (C-97) concept artwork and line drawings. In the book 'American Secret Projects,  U S Airlifters 1941-1961'.
It's the Academy C-97G  with the vertical tail fin squared off and Lockheed Constellation L-749 parts added to the tail and wings. The engines are the ones that came with the RVHP Lockheed early version EC-121 Warning Star. The cockpit has been removed,  I'm guessing that I was thinking of stretching the fuselage at a later time.

The Bristol Type 170 Gunship.
This started life as a Airfix Bristol Superfreighter,  it has the twin engines from the Airfix Fairey Rotodyne and the guns from the AMT/ERTL AC-130U fitted to the port (left side) of the fuselage. Remarkably the guns and landing gear are still in place but the propellers have snapped off. Replacement parts will be used to finish this build.

The AW Argosy 'Black Beauty '.
This was a secondhand 'spares or repairs '  Mach2 A.W. Argosy. The Rolls-Royce Dart engines have been replaced with all the engines from the Hasegawa B-47E kit. As I haven't been able to source a suitable landing gear,  the air cushion landing system is a likely result.

The Super Avro Lincoln.
The donor kit is the Revell Avro Shackleton MR.3 old issue. It retains the wings , main landing gear and the engines but not the contra rotating propellers. I was trying to mimic the Rolls-Royce Merlin Mk85s with three propellers. The tail comes from a Matchbox  Convair Privateer and the nose glazing is from the Contrail vacform Avro Lincoln B.Mk.1 kit which is almost a exact fit. A raid in the spares boxes should provide the parts that have fallen off.A few of the propellers need replacing. PSR.

The Starcraft.
Erm , based on another old Revell Avro Shackleton MR.3. This is tailless and has a canard swept nose, two TF-33 engines from a A-10 and the rotodome from the Grumman E-2 Hawkeye on a scratch built stand.
It reminds me of something long the lines of the Rutan design. PSR and a new nose landing gear.

The EB-57W.
Based on the Mach2 Martin WB-57E. This has two 1/48 Lockheed S-3A Viking turbofaned engines and the T.17 nose. It has a wonky cockpit which will be filled in for long term storage. I think that I have some Canberra parts,  so I should be able to finish this.

The BAC Frigtning,  all weather multi-task fighter.
This has the front end of a Lightning T.55 glued to the  Heller Mirage IVA. The multipurpose fuel tank is the resin JSTARS pod cut down to size.
Whilst the nose wheel landing gear is from the Lightning T.55 the main landing gear is from the Lockheed F-35 Lightning II. Both donor kits were already painted but will need repainting after PSR.

A started  New Revell Avro Shackleton MR.3.
A started build with just the basics and a flattened nose. A search for the parts and a bit of PSR is needed to get it to the painting stage.

The Shorts Cadillac AEW.1 or airborne control aircraft.
Based on the Airfix Short Stirling with Rolls-Royce Griffon engines. Halifax style tail fins. Front and rear  cannon from the Airfix A-26. Upper radome is from the Revell Avro Shackleton AEW.2. PSR.

The Avro-Handley Page  AEW. 1 Shadow.
A kitbash of the Matchbox Handley Page Halifax fuselage with the wings and engines from the Airfix Avro Lancaster. Added to that is the nose and rear cones from the Avro Lancastrian conversion set. This also has the twin tail fins,  twin boom from the Revell 'Clog' seaplane. The height finding radar is from the RVHP Lockheed EC-121 Early Warning conversion set and the lower radome comes from the AeroClub Avro Shackleton AEW.2 conversion set. The propellers haven't snapped off,  just needs PSR and a pair of wheels,  plus a new paint scheme.

The Avro Yorktown Heliplane.
It's the Mach2 Avro York C1 fuselage with the Revell MV-22 Osprey. Plenty of PSR is needed to align the rear fuselage so that I can glue the new tail fins.

Erm,  it's a kitbash of the Airfix Fairey Rotodyne fuselage  with the stack and wings removed with various Boeing Chinook parts. It carriers the Freightdog SeaKing AEW in the collapsed stored position on the starboard side of the rear fuselage. PSR and rear landing wheels. Rotors should be in the stash along with the cockpit canopy.

The Lockheed Martin SC-130J.
This is a started project using the Italeri HC-130J as the donor with parts from the AMT/ERTL AC-130U for the lumps and bumps. I had thought about detailing the cargo hold but I have decided against it. The cockpit needs detailing before I glue the fuselage halves together.

Son of Concorde.
This uses the fuselage of the Boeing SST and parts from the Airfix/Revell 1/144 BAC Concorde kits. The engines are from the 1/144 Concorde and so too is the vertical tail fin. The nose isn't in the dipped position as I have replaced this with the solid nose from another Revell Boeing SST. It just needs tidying up and painting,  I think I have a suitable stand for it.

The Convair 880 AWACS.
Based on the Glencoe Convair 800, with parts from the Revell 1/144 Boeing E-3A/C.

And finally
The Revell 1/181 Convair B-36 Peacemaker,  well not quite as there's a few parts missing. This is the four engined Peacehaven,  long-wing. The fuselage and wings have been glued on. Two of the six propeller driven engines have been removed. PSR.

Not quite.
A started Revell Breguet Br1150 Atlantic ATL1. Well the rear fuselage and a few parts of the cockpit. If my plan works this should have the engines from the Revell Airbus A400M. If not just the two.

Ah,
Almost forgot about the BAe Andover AEW platform. This kit was bought off eBay and it's my first dabble into building something from a 3-D printer. I have downloaded the instructions. Most of the parts need thin strips of metal rods in their assembly. The rear fuselage has been assembled without the metal rods.

Vehicles that weren't kits.
A Scalextric 1/43 Rover SD1,  this is being turned into a four door saloon. PSR.
Corgi Major Airport Crash Truck-Pathfinder. I'm thinking of a rapid response vehicle with machine guns and heavy duty cannon.
The 1/29 It's not a Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III but could be converted into the Bentley S3 with plenty of bling.

Mossie

Lockdown 1.0 didn't produce anything, thought I'd have loads of time but home working and schooling put paid to that.

My plan for phase 2.0 is build anything my mojo lets me.  I had lots of ideas for the prototype GB that never got off the ground so now I just want to have a go at whatever comes into my head at the time.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kerick

Maybe I can start my 1/72nd F-16XL, Israeli Sufa combo.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise