Suggestions / ideas wanted

Started by Austanker, August 30, 2020, 03:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Austanker

I'm currently working on the Hellfire Gunboat from Waterworld using screen shots from the movie an little else , I am having to scratch build most of the model and would like some input regarding the drive belts for the paddle wheel at the rear
Racking my brain trying to work out what I could use that looks like a chain belt drive , I will need about 60 cm of it whatever it is lol
Model is 1/35 scale the belts should be 5 - 8 mm wide
Pics below for reference

Nick

Look at jewellery, chains in particular. I think a cheap kids necklace should be about right.

Or this kind of stuff Ebay Chain

Austanker

I have the chains sorted its the drive belts that run from the wheels to the paddle wheel that I need inspo for
Quote from: Nick on August 30, 2020, 04:35:39 PM
Look at jewellery, chains in particular. I think a cheap kids necklace should be about right.

Or this kind of stuff Ebay Chain

PR19_Kit

Tamiya masking tape, suitably trimmed and painted?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Or painters masking tape - the cream coloured stuff - to give it a bit of texture.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

By 'chain belt', do you mean triplex or quadruplex roller-chain, like this?

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Dizzyfugu

(Vinyl) Tracks from an 1:72 tank kit, e.g. from an M3 Stuart or an early M4 Sherman might work, too?

Austanker

Quote from: Weaver on August 31, 2020, 05:41:29 AM
By 'chain belt', do you mean triplex or quadruplex roller-chain, like this?

yes that looks like the goods

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 31, 2020, 06:07:46 AM
(Vinyl) Tracks from an 1:72 tank kit, e.g. from an M3 Stuart or an early M4 Sherman might work, too?
I thought of this but I will need multiple kits the cost of this thing is already redicuolus lol

Old Wombat

Unless you make it yourself, I don't think you've got much hope but I did find this on a quick search: https://www.micromark.com/Tamiya-Ladder-Chain-Sprocket-Set

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

perttime

The belts remind me of some elastic materials used in sewing.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 31, 2020, 06:42:02 AM

Unless you make it yourself, I don't think you've got much hope but I did find this on a quick search:

Where it says this :-

QuoteWARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals, including Styrene which is known to the State of California to cause cancer.

That's the first I've heard of it. If so, we're all doomed.........................
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 31, 2020, 08:22:02 AM

Where it says this :-

QuoteWARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals, including Styrene which is known to the State of California to cause cancer.

That's the first I've heard of it. If so, we're all doomed.........................

Don't worry, it only causes cancer within California....................
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Austanker

ah the old paranoid California law from the land of litigation we have that warning on several products at work it's a bit scary but it should say "may cause cancer"
Thanks for the input looks like everyone got as far as I did looks like a trip to the cheap asian junk store to have a look around to see what I can see

zenrat

How about vinyl 1/35 Bren Gun Carrier tracks?
They are about 4 or 5mm wide from memory.  Thin enough?
If so, I have a pair from a Tamiya BGC you can have if you want.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rheged

There was a time in UK when small objects were labelled  " This is NOT a child's toy. May be dangerous if swallowed by a small child".    I did see on the back of a Chieftain tank at army recruiting stand at the Cumberland Show in Carlisle  may years ago a label stating :-  "This is not a toy, may cause harm if swallowed by a child"
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet