Lavochkin La-5 & Mikoyan and Gurevich MiG-3 - PDRV WW2

Started by zenrat, August 25, 2020, 05:28:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Lavochkin La-5 & Mikoyan and Gurevich MiG-3 - PDRV WW2

MiG-3 PDRV "Snaggletooth" - 3 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

During WW2 the military of the People's Democratic Republic of Victoria operated a mixture of local and Soviet designed equipment.  Amongst the single engined fighters were La-5s and MiG-3s built in Victorian Aircraft Plants.

Lavochkin La-5FN - 4 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Lavochkin La-5FN - 19 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Lavochkin La-5FN - 22 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

At the start of the war PDRV aircraft markings consisted of the outline of a golden V over the outline of a golden star on a red circle.  This was changed after a number of alleged misidentifications resulted in Victorian aircraft being shot at and down by forces supposed to be allied.  The new design consisted of a white bordered black V over a golden star on a black circle.  The Hammer, V and Sickle tail markings were switched from red and gold to black and gold.  When these changes proved not to be enough to overcome the problem of lazy foreign troops failing to keep up with their aircraft recognition white tails were painted on all aircraft.
The La-5 wears Northern Summer camouflage.  When the landscape greened up in the winter and spring green was overpainted as shown on the MiG-3.

MiG-3 PDRV "Snaggletooth" - 12 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
MiG-3 PDRV "Snaggletooth" - 8 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
MiG-3 PDRV "Snaggletooth" - 18 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The Models
Zvezda Lavotchkin La-5FN and Zvezda Mikoyan and Gurevich MiG-3.  Both 1/72 and both built OOB.
Painted with Vallejo acrylics.
Home made decals.
Shark mouth on Snaggletooth hand painted.
Both kits are fairly old moulds and are quite basic but respond well to a bit of carefull building.  I didn't get too carried away but both could really do with metal gun barrels fitted while the MiG has vey shallow undercarriage bays which really want deepening.

Lavochkin La-5FN - 23 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
MiG-3 PDRV "Snaggletooth" - 19 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

And looking at those photos it seems I have neglected to pin wash the control surface gaps on the MiG.  D'oh!

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

VERY smart.  :thumbsup:

I specially like the MiG, that loooooong nose and the set back cockpit seem to enhance the 'speediness' of it.  ;D

The La-5 says 'GET out of the way!'  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Very nice mate  :thumbsup: I particularly like the La-5, very tempted to get myself one
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Old Wombat

I like Lavochkins, they have that rugged workhorse look to them. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

sideshowbob9

The red on the Lavochkin really pops out. Cracking job!

Tophe

Quote from: zenrat on August 25, 2020, 05:28:30 AM
Home made decals.
I was wondering where was this coming from, but congratulations for your ability to materialize your dreams... :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

zenrat

Thanks folks.

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 25, 2020, 07:43:42 AM
I like Lavochkins, they have that rugged workhorse look to them. :thumbsup:

Puts me in mind of a bulldog.

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 25, 2020, 06:48:11 AM
Very nice mate  :thumbsup: I particularly like the La-5, very tempted to get myself one

Look at the Clear Prop kits.  I've not built the one i have but in the box it looks markedly superior to the Zvezda kit.  Eduard's La-7 looks good in pics.  I may have to buy one.

As I say elsewhere, we need more decent injection piston engined Soviet fighters.

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Flyer

"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

zenrat

Thanks mate.  It came out looking a bit more goofy than vicious but i'm still very happy with it.
Fred

Rick Lowe

Quote from: zenrat on August 27, 2020, 05:00:01 AM
  It came out looking a bit more goofy than vicious

Maybe cos of teeth overlap the bottom lip at the rear?
Has a sort of 'Cousin Cleetus' thing going on.

*Not that that detracts from the builds, just trying to figure out a reason for the slight goofyness.

DogfighterZen

Very nice work, Fred! I especially like the Mig, that camo looks great on it.  :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

zenrat

Fred