Oversized pictures in threads

Started by kelumden, August 05, 2020, 04:28:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelumden

What's the point of including oversized pictures in threads ?
I use a standard 1920x1080 display and I am quite bothered when I find in a thread a picture whose size is over the capacity of the display. Despite the interest the topic may have, oversized pictures make me turn around and disregard the topic. Don't tell me I can scroll the picture, I find this annoying to say the least.
I think that a width of 1600 pixels is enough to show your work with enough detail while preserving storage space and allowing for a smooth scrolling of the thread.
I understand that you are eager to show what you have build (the faster the better !), but take time to edit pictures, cropping them to a reasonable size. The experience of the reader will be improved. If you wish/want to show bigger pictures, either use a link to the full size picture on external storage or (not sure it can be done) add size in picture markup ...

Kelumden (aka Vincent Dumont)
Take care of yourself.

zenrat

You can scroll the picture.
Or you can click on it and it'll resize.
You could even post a reply in the thread in question telling the poster how to use BBCode to reduce the size of the picture in their original post.  Maybe they are not sure how to do so and could do with your help?

How have you been anyway?  You don't seem to have posted anything for quite a while.  Got any builds underway?

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

One of the things that happened to me was that my host site changed its default size from one which was an ideal screen size to a far larger one. I've no idea why and I've just about sorted it, not quite but almost.

I do agree however in that it can be frustrating.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TomZ

Or you can set the width in your image tag like this:

{img width=100}https://www.x.com/image.jpg{/img}

of course with square brackets [] instead of the curved ones {} :)

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

kelumden

Quote from: zenrat on August 05, 2020, 04:40:53 AM
Thank for the tip. I didn't know it !

How have you been anyway?  You don't seem to have posted anything for quite a while.  Got any builds underway?
Sorry to disappoint you but it has been a (very) long time since a build something! Real life has taken its toll and I am not confident enough to try again.
Nonetheless, I enjoy many of the works on display and for the few I don't enjoy, I don't see the point of being negative toward their creators.

kelumden

Quote from: TomZ on August 05, 2020, 09:39:44 AM
Or you can set the width in your image tag like this:

{img width=100}https://www.x.com/image.jpg{/img}

of course with square brackets [] instead of the curved ones {} :)

TomZ
Just what I was looking for. :thumbsup:

scooter

I usually scale my images on the boards using Tom's method (at 1280 pixels), but since I do more 3D rendering in 4k resolution, I also link an image source, using Imgur for my embedded images and DeviantArt as my link repository.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

perttime

Some forum setups seem to reduce images to the available screen area by default, and then you can get the full size by clicking.

Here, you get them to fit the screen by clicking on them.

I have some pictures on Flickr, and it is relatively simple to pick a size for sharing, there.

zenrat

Quote from: kelumden on August 07, 2020, 11:54:47 AM
Thank for the tip. I didn't know it !

Sorry to disappoint you but it has been a (very) long time since a build something! Real life has taken its toll and I am not confident enough to try again.
Nonetheless, I enjoy many of the works on display and for the few I don't enjoy, I don't see the point of being negative toward their creators.

Well when you feel up to it this is the perfect place to display them as we tend not to be too judgemental.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on August 08, 2020, 02:31:48 AM

Well when you feel up to it this is the perfect place to display them as we tend not to be too judgemental.

Absolutely  :thumbsup:

I don't see the point of being negative toward their creators.

Totally agree
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

... we tend not to be too judgemental.

Mental? Yes. Judgemental? No. ;D

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 08, 2020, 05:53:15 AM
Well when you feel up to it this is the perfect place to display them ...

Absolutely  :thumbsup:

I don't see the point of being negative toward their creators.

Totally agree

+1 :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Scotaidh

I quite agree with both Zenrat, Narses2, and Old Wombat.  ;) 

'Mental' as ... (quick - wot's really mental?) Monty Python - 'Judgemental' as a matchbox 

I know how dodgy my work is, and yet they let me post it here - and they say nice things about it! 

Besides, I build to retain my shaky grasp on sanity in this mad world - it's basically escapism.  :)

I also defend the Oxford Comma.  :)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

zenrat

We are whiffers.
We look past skill deficits (real or perceived), ignore trifling factual errors, treat the laws of physics as guidelines, see beauty where others see Blackburn, paint with the palettes of our imagination, and can't count more rivets than we have fingers and toes.
Fred

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on August 11, 2020, 03:12:50 AM

We are whiffers.
We look past skill deficits (real or perceived), ignore trifling factual errors, treat the laws of physics as guidelines, see beauty where others see Blackburn, paint with the palettes of our imagination, and can't count more rivets than we have fingers and toes.

A Mission Statement if ever I read one!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

You can quickly change the screen size using Ctrl+ to zoom in, Ctrl- to zoom out.  Keep tapping them until it gets to the size you want.  Ctrl0 returns it to the default.

Works for most web browsers.  It does the whole screen rather than just the photo, but it's returned in a jiffy with Ctrl0.  It was one of those Eureka moments when I found it, I use it all the time and it's handy for checking details on a smaller image.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.