I need help! Ship identification please.

Started by zenrat, July 25, 2020, 05:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

In rearranging my shed today I found a box containing three ship models built by my late nephew I had been asked to repair.
I'd like to identify them and figured asking you guys would be the best way.
I know you like a chance to prove your knowledge.
So, Ship, kit manufacturer and scale please.
;D

Ship One. 
I think some superstructure is missing.  There are loose parts in the box.
I thought it might be Iowa Class but those distinctive "wings" on the superstructure aft of B turret are wrong.
Ship 1 01 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Ship 1 02 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Ship 1 03 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Ship Two.
I'm pretty sure this is HMS King George V.  Airfix 1/600?
Ship 2 01 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Ship 2 02 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Ship 2 03 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Ship Three.
The superstructure on this (is it on backwards?) makes me think it is Japanese.  But other than that I have no idea.
Ship 3 01 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Ship 3 02 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Ship 3 03 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

tigercat

Mystery ship looks German to me from the turret shape .

Given the three turret lay out  I'd say Scharnhorst or Gneiseau.

Rheged

No.1, definitely German and could well be Scharnhorst class ,but not absolutely sure.
No.2 is a Royal Navy KG5, but I can't tell which one of them.
No.3 looks Japanese , and comparing it to the pix in Watts' Japanese Warships of WW2 it looks more like a Kongo class than anything else.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

scooter

Quote from: Rheged on July 25, 2020, 07:10:33 AM
No.1, definitely German and could well be Scharnhorst class ,but not absolutely sure.

3x triple turrets and 2x triple torpedo tubes are a giveaway on the class.  Bismarks were 4 double turrets and 2x torpedo tubes
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

nönöbär

Number 1 definitely is the 1/570 scale Revell Scharnhorst kit, I have build it as well some years ago.

Number 2: I would also think this is the 1/600 scale Airfix kit of KGV, but I am not 100% sure.

Number 3: This is the most tricky one. It appears to me, that this is a motorized model - it only has one prop (which is missing) and it looks on one pic that there is a battery holder inside the hull.
The ship is a late Nagato - there is no other Japanese battleship with this main turret layout and only on funnel. So my best guess is, that this is the Nichimo kit. They produced a couple of motorized ship models there you could put in a single AA battery. Others were Bismarck class and Iowa class. Those kits were not so detailed than other scale models, but the general appearance reminds me of those.
Daily updates from my engineer: https://twitter.com/Scratchbr1

--------------------
German Naval History               : www.german-navy.de
Bärenreisen                             : www.barenurlaub.de

zenrat

Thanks everyone.

No. 3 does seem very toylike and the entire superstructure does lift off as if to allow access to the inside.

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

nönöbär

Quote from: zenrat on July 26, 2020, 03:04:35 AM
No. 3 does seem very toylike and the entire superstructure does lift off as if to allow access to the inside.

Another indicator that this is a Nichimo kit. My Bismarck model from them was the same. i then used the upper part of the hull to build the Roon.
Daily updates from my engineer: https://twitter.com/Scratchbr1

--------------------
German Naval History               : www.german-navy.de
Bärenreisen                             : www.barenurlaub.de

Weaver

Yep to all of those.

ID features:

Generic German WWII:
Ball-shaped AAA directors
Open-topped 10.4cm AAA guns with the two guns sitting in a 'trough' in the top of the turret
Single shielded 5.9" guns used as secondaries

Sharnhorst/Gneisenau: all of the above, plus 3 x triple 11" turret layout

Generic British:
Drum-shaped 5.25" DP secondary turrets with high-set and wide-spread barrels either side  of a 'wedge'
Fixed athwartships aircraft catapult
Octuple Pom-Pom AAA guns

KGV: All of the above, plus quad+twin+quad 14" turret layout is a dead giveaway

Japanese: other than the multi-level 'pagoda' style bridge structure, there's little that's distinctive in battleships at this level of detail. With more detail, you'd see triple 25mm AAA guns and twin 5.5" AAA guns with a big window in the shield. On other types, you'd see distinctive 24" torpedo tubes and aircraft layouts.

Nagato: the double row of casemate 5.5" guns is unique to this class.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

Fred

buzzbomb

Now Fred the question. Restore canon or give your inner maritime engineer a bit of a run ?

zenrat

I should really restore them to how Jason built them.  November will be the 16th anniversary of his murder.
Fred

PR19_Kit

Murder?  :o

That's horrendous! Did they catch the villain?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Yes.

Reading that again makes me both angry and sad.

Fred

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on July 31, 2020, 05:59:39 AM

Yes.

Reading that again makes me both angry and sad.

I'm not surprised, it would me too.

Good that the villains have been banged up for a long time.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

nighthunter

Well, Fred, if anyone can restore them to their previous beauty, you can. And your grandnephew is the same age as my son. I couldn't imagine raising him without his mum being taken like that.
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*