The Defiant Naval

Started by Gondor, July 21, 2020, 03:02:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Simply put, Boulton Paul navalise the Defiant as a competitor/replacement to the Blackburn Roc.

Decided that I would try building this as well as the Wessex as this will have even fewer modification than the Wessex will, basically just adding an arrestor hook.

Knowing that Kit has had problems with the fit of the cockpit I made sure that I looked at the instructions and performed several dry fit's of the parts to make sure the parts fitted. I files the front of the cockpit floor so that the cockpit would sit slightly forward ensuering that the rear decking around the turret would easily fit within the raised guide that Airfix mold onto the fuselage side to aid in fitting several parts.  No pictures yet and I should start painting the interior today so I can start closing up the fuselage sooner than later.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

The Wooksta!

I can't see how Kit had so many problems - I've done three and all have been trouble free and I've yet to see anyone one another site have issues with the kit.  It's been  universally liked.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

The Wooksta!

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 21, 2020, 05:17:44 AM
I can't see how Kit had so many problems - I've done three and all have been trouble free and I've yet to see anyone one another site have issues with the kit.  It's been  universally liked.

Navalising it?  Depends where the hook is going and what type it is.  Definitely a wing fold and I'd also take the opportunity to add some forward firing guns - the Navy liked more roles for their aircraft, hence the Skue being used as a fighter as well as a strike aircraft.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 21, 2020, 05:17:44 AM

'Cos I wasn't paying enough attention I expect.  ;D ;)

That and building three more kits at the same time, and not being in my usual environment.

Since I came home for a quick check on Sunday I've found FOUR more Defiant kits lurking around. Goodness knows why I got that many.  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

I have found one little problem, the left side wall detail that is added was getting in the way for the part behind the piolt's seat so needed a little trim but other than that.....
A from hook and no folded wings or extra guns, it's a protatype remember, modifyed from a normal Defiant as the first Protatype with aditional strenthening of the fuselage and the adding of the hook so that it could take part in trials abord a carrier. There will be no Big yellow "P" in a yellow circle as this was before that was introduced which was post WWII I beleive.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

The Wooksta!

The yellow P in a circle was on aircraft flying in 1941.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Doug K

There are some images elsewhere on the site showing the naval Defiant that lost out to the Roc. I ignored them on my two builds, it looks as hideous in profile as the Roc!

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Gondor

Quote from: Doug K on July 21, 2020, 10:45:34 AM
There are some images elsewhere on the site showing the naval Defiant that lost out to the Roc. I ignored them on my two builds, it looks as hideous in profile as the Roc!

Any idea where the pictures are so I can make sure mine looks nothing like it?

Gondor

Doug K

Quote from: Gondor on July 22, 2020, 02:10:11 PM

Gondor

I'll have a look, I think some might have been on one of my Defiant build threads.

Gondor

Quote from: Doug K on July 23, 2020, 09:54:48 AM
Quote from: Gondor on July 22, 2020, 02:10:11 PM

Gondor

I'll have a look, I think some might have been on one of my Defiant build threads.

Ah, your Osprey builds. Had a look at them and this will be different to yours and far simpler.

Gondor

The Wooksta!

Quote from: Mossie on October 25, 2013, 06:08:49 AM
P.85 Naval Defiant, deeper fuselage and new vertical tail.  P.85A was drawn up with a Hercules, P.85B with a Merlin.  It was passed over in favour of the Blackburn Roc, a much slower aircraft.

Original images here:
http://crimso.msk.ru/Site/Arts/Art3537.htm

P.85B three view, with a side view of the P.85A

P.85A with it's boots on:

P.85A details

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Doug K

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 23, 2020, 10:51:37 AM
Quote from: Mossie on October 25, 2013, 06:08:49 AM
P.85 Naval Defiant, deeper fuselage and new vertical tail.  P.85A was drawn up with a Hercules, P.85B with a Merlin.  It was passed over in favour of the Blackburn Roc, a much slower aircraft.

Original images here:
http://crimso.msk.ru/Site/Arts/Art3537.htm

P.85B three view, with a side view of the P.85A

P.85A with it's boots on:

P.85A details

That's the one I was looking for !!!!

Gondor

Thought I better do something and post some progress pictures

Here you can see that I have the wings and fuselage together, no problems in getting it to fit corectly as I did something novel, I followed the instructions so I didn't end up with the problem that Kit had.

The thin brass tube sticking through the side of the fuselage acupunture style is actually some Albion Alloy 0.3i/d 0.5 o/d tube which will be one of the legs of the A frame arestor hook. It's in this position at the moment as when attempting to make the mounting holes I didn't get both sides to match, so make a bigger hole and fill with tube that fits the hole and allows the hook frame to fit inside. With what I have I ended up with a compramze and used the nearest sizes I had. The alternative sizes are very much out of scale and wouold show it

Gondor