A great basis for a What-If Car - well, it's knd of a Whif now!

Started by Faust, July 14, 2020, 08:30:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

If you believe that too much is never enough, then you can probably understand what GM was thinking when they let California Custom Coach create what is perhaps the most excessive Corvette of all time, the four-door Corvette America! The idea was to create a four-door, four-seater Corvette that would, uh, well, I don't know what. It would be long, and expensive, and not really compete with any other sporty car since it was slow. Does that work?

Beacause I love the losers, the odd and forgotten, I clearly have a super-big love of this weirdo. I mean, it's a FOUR-DOOR Corvette!!! How much more forgotten loser does it get than that??? I consider it a miracle that Monogram got suckered into making a kit of this thing, and I consider it an even bigger miracle that I was able to snag one for like, $10 still sealed a couple of years ago.

Of course, I could have just sold it, but I really do like the Corvette America, and that means I had to pop it out of the box and revel in all the late '70s bad ideas I could handle. Lucky for you guys, I also decided to share it! (That makes you lucky, right?)

Check out this completely bonkers Vette at the link below, and remember: it was the '70s. If that's not an excuse, it's at least an explanation!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/monogram-1-24-1980-corvette-america-oob/

PR19_Kit

I've never even heard of the real car, let alone a model of it!  :o

It does look 'off the wall' compared to a standard 'Vette, that's for sure.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

First time I ever heard of a four door 'Vette either. It's kind of beautiful and ugly at the same time.
Are you going to build it?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

JayBee

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

zenrat

...Moulded in Orange...

I built one of them back in the day.
I remember being perplexed by the transverse leaf spring IRS.

You did well to pick it up for $10.  I'd love another chance to build one.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on July 15, 2020, 04:55:53 AM

Why DID they keep on with that for so long? It was archaic by then.  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

I remember that kit from a vintage MONOGRAM catalogue from the Eighties!

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 15, 2020, 05:35:49 AM
Quote from: zenrat on July 15, 2020, 04:55:53 AM

Why DID they keep on with that for so long? It was archaic by then.  :o

I find it a bit incomprehensible.  I suppose they thought it was cheap and it worked.  I remember a friend showing him his Spitfire's rear suspension and it had a single leaf spring, mounted transversely.  It seemed a bit strange to me but I'm not that much of a revhead.   :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Quote from: rickshaw on July 15, 2020, 05:57:56 AM

I find it a bit incomprehensible.  I suppose they thought it was cheap and it worked.  I remember a friend showing him his Spitfire's rear suspension and it had a single leaf spring, mounted transversely.  It seemed a bit strange to me but I'm not that much of a revhead.   :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Me and Jan had a Spitfire, all of 40 years ago, and anyone squeezed in the back, normally our Doberman, had a fairly uncomfortable ride. OK in the front though.

Quote from: JayBee on July 14, 2020, 11:04:29 AM
That box art just does not look right!  :o

Agreed Jim, but then it's also pushed in a little which doesn't help.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 15, 2020, 06:20:33 AM
Quote from: JayBee on July 14, 2020, 11:04:29 AM
That box art just does not look right!  :o

Agreed Jim, but then it's also pushed in a little which doesn't help.

Agreed. The deformed box makes it look even wronger...........if there is such a word.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

I'm not quite sure when they stopped using that transverse leaf spring on the Corvette, but at least they didn't combine it with swing axle rear suspension like the Spitfire and the original Corvair. That was a recipe for oversteer disaster!  :o

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 15, 2020, 09:03:19 AM

I'm not quite sure when they stopped using that transverse leaf spring on the Corvette, but at least they didn't combine it with swing axle rear suspension like the Spitfire and the original Corvair. That was a recipe for oversteer disaster!  :o

The transverse spring was used from the 1963 C2 (rear only), the C4 of 1984 introduced a composite leaf spring
front and rear, they were used until the 2019 C7 ceased production.

https://route66corvetteclub.com/documents/TechKorner/Transverse%20Leaf%20Springs.pdf

The current 2nd generation Volvo XC90 uses a composite one on the rear.

PR19_Kit

I'm not at all sure the C4 Corvette was the first use of composite leaf springs in the automotive field

It may have been the first use of them in a production car, but GKN were working on them in the late 70s. MTS, my employers, sold GKN a hefty test rig to test composite leaf springs and I installed it in mid-'79. They also tested and supplied the composite prop shaft for the 4x4 Renault Espace in the same period, and the leaf springs were intended for a British Army vehicle of some sort IIRC.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit