US Navy VF-19 Sea Hurricane, USS Lexington, October 1943

Started by AeroplaneDriver, July 04, 2020, 12:09:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

Following the successful Japanese sabotage attack on the Grumman plant in NY in July 1942 the US Navy found itself in need of a supply of naval fighters.  With no Wildcats coming from the production line and the need to press the Pacific war the US Navy made the controversial move of purchasing a foreign aircraft. Athte same time Elsie MacGill, the lead engineer for the Canadian Car and Foundry company, was  making a name for herself as a brilliant engineer developing the venerable Hawker Hurricane.   The US Navy contracted with CCF to produce Sea Hurricanes to fill the gap before newer fighters such as the Corsair and Hellcat could come to the front line. 

US Sea Hurricanes were mostly similar to UK versions, with the main difference being the change from six .303 machine guns to four .50 caliber guns.  Canadian Car and Foundry produced 320 Sea Hurricanes for the US Navy.  Initially envisioned as an emergency stopgap fighter, the type ended up serving with the US Navy until the end of the war and was popular with pilots and mechanics alike.  It's simple construction meant it could absorb considerable damage and make its way back to the carrier, and be flying again within days. 

This model depicts a Sea Hurricane of VF-19, flown from the USS Lexington in late 1943.  This aircraft was shot down in January 1945, with its pilot being rescued with minor injuries, but not before it earned 9 victories. 

Kit is the Airfix 1/48 Sea Hurricane Mk.II.  I expected a nice easy build after my blood, sweat, and tears with my Eduard Lysander, but this one's fit was even worse.  it took a lot of perseverance to make it to a finished product and I was honestly surprised given the reviews I had read and my experience with Airfix's recent Sea Fury.  But I pressed on and here she is...my 17th COVID build.

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

sideshowbob9

Scotaidh

I like her!  She came out looking very nice.  :)   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Cobra

this is Cool,Superb,and Inspiring! the Hurricane looks likeit was Meant to Wear US Navy Colors! Keep up the Superb Work! Dan

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

That looks TERRIFIC!  :thumbsup:

I'm always a sucker for Hurricanes, but yours is a dream, and that scheme REALLY works well.  ;D ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sandiego89

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Wurgerman

Lovely looking Hurricane, looks good in blue !

Wurgerman

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Hotte

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Glenn Gilbertson