Tu-16 Badger - Lifeboat version!

Started by Weaver, July 02, 2020, 02:41:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Couldn't find a thread for this aircraft, but if there is one and I'm being dumb, please feel free to merge it mods.

Variant here that I'd never heard of: an air-dropped lifeboat version in the 1960s... :o

Posted on Twitter by @TrevClark1958 here: https://twitter.com/TrevClark1958/status/1278614387721416704?s=20

"The USSR brought the WW 2 concept of the aerial lifeboat into the 'jet age' in the early 1960's, with this Tupolev Tu-16C rescue aircraft. The system followed the same principle as one pioneered by the RAF in 1943 and USAAF in 1944, however NATO had abandoned the idea by 1956."

Note: Wikipedia has the designation of the lifeboat-carrying version as Tu-16S.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

ericr

zenrat

Lifeboat?  A Tu-16 could probably carry and drop a corvette.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on July 02, 2020, 02:53:29 AM

If they upgraded the idea to a Tu-95 Bear they could drop an aircraft carrier!  :o :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 02, 2020, 03:17:33 AM
Quote from: zenrat on July 02, 2020, 02:53:29 AM

If they upgraded the idea to a Tu-95 Bear they could drop an aircraft carrier!  :o :o

Damn, you beat me to it!  ;D

If anyone does a 1/144th or n-gauge cabin cruiser, that would be an amusing thing to hang under a Revell Bear... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on July 02, 2020, 05:25:30 AM

If anyone does a 1/144th or n-gauge cabin cruiser, that would be an amusing thing to hang under a Revell Bear... :wacko:

Thanks to Chrisonord's sale I've got a monster 1/72 Trumpeter Bear, and that's pretty close in scale to 1/76 railway stuff.........  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 02, 2020, 05:31:06 AM
Quote from: Weaver on July 02, 2020, 05:25:30 AM

Thanks to Chrisonord's sale I've got a monster 1/72 Trumpeter Bear, and that's pretty close in scale to 1/76 railway stuff.........  ;)

Airfix Severn Class RNLI lifeboat.... :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Hmmmm, the Severn is a very tall boat, but then the Bear has a very tall undercarriage too.  ;D

I'll have to wait till my next trip home to see if that will work.

Regards
Kit

ericr

:o :o :o
very impressive announces here : go for it !!
;D

sandiego89

Never knew of this version either.  Thanks for posting.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

sideshowbob9

Hmmmm... I'm thinking rapid response airborne mini-DSRV deployment, prior to the arrival of a fully-equipped rescue flotilla?

The Wooksta!

I've a mould somewhere for the lifeboat that went under the Hasegawa Lancaster.  Did a roaring trade a decade back knocking them out under the counter.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

chrisonord

I still have a tu-16 and a tu-160 in1/72, perhaps an assault hovercraft for under the tu-160?? :wacko: :wacko:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 02, 2020, 09:26:46 AM

I've a mould somewhere for the lifeboat that went under the Hasegawa Lancaster.  Did a roaring trade a decade back knocking them out under the counter.

You gave me one, along with a Hawker P.1081 and a zillion  other bits and pieces.  :thumbsup: ;)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Quote from: chrisonord on July 02, 2020, 09:32:13 AM

I still have a tu-16 and a tu-160 in1/72, perhaps an assault hovercraft for under the tu-160?? :wacko: :wacko:

Trumpeter do a USN LCAC hovercraft in 1/72 and 1/144.

I have one of each too.  ;)

Regards
Kit