Main Menu

GAL Helicopter

Started by Weaver, June 29, 2020, 10:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

This will be a WWII British helicopter project, based on a General Aircraft Limited Hotspur glider, with a rotor on each wingtip, driven by a piston engine in the fuselage. Kits are a Frogspawn Hotspur and two Airfix Gazelles as rotor-donors.

The inspiration is the US Platt-LePage XR-1 helicopter:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platt-LePage_XR-1
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Obligatory parts pic. No box, decals or instructions because I haven't got them: the Hotspur was bagged in a bin at a show for £3.00. There's a few bits I haven't found yet. I'm not guaranteeing it, but I may be able to work a little tribute to the late, great Brian de Basher into it too.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

sandiego89

Nice, have a soft spot for early rotor craft.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kerick

Quote from: Weaver on June 29, 2020, 10:20:29 PM

I love that those two guys can hold that whole aircraft up using just one main gear leg! They must be really strong!

Could you imagine the looks on the safety and health people if someone did that today?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

They probably are the health and safety people from back in the day  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

No building yet because I've been trying to resolve a couple of outstanding issues before I start:

Enclosed or exposed gearboxes?
The first XR-1 had exposed ones and the second XR-1A had enclosed ones. Partly this was an issue of what parts I've got, but it's also an issue of how I'm going to get the rotor masts vertical when I'm bulding it. I've ended up going for enclosed: got the pods, and I've worked out a technique (I think).

Extra cockpit glazings.
Helicopter pilots generally need to be able to seen down at some fairly steep angles in order to judge their landings, however provisions were sometimes sub-optimal in early attempts. I can't find anything suitable to make a glazed nose, so I think I'm going to go with extra clear side panels, made from Gazelle windows.

Something I've learnt about myself the hard way is that I shouldn't rely on being spontaneous during a build, i.e. the "oh I'll work something out when I get there" approach. Too often I get stuck on a problem that I can't fix to my satisfaction, and if that coincides with the inevitable mid-project slump in enthusiasm, it greatly increases the chance of me abandoning the the project all together. I need a solid plan FIRST: all the parts sourced, build planned out, alternatives pre-considered. None of this means that I can't be flexible and creative mid-build, it just means that I shouldn't rely on it.

- Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Quote from: Weaver on July 05, 2020, 12:42:43 AM

Extra cockpit glazings.
Helicopter pilots generally need to be able to seen down at some fairly steep angles in order to judge their landings, however provisions were sometimes sub-optimal in early attempts.

A few early helicopter projects didn't even bother with glazing, they stuck the pilot out at the front sat on some framework
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Quote from: Weaver on July 05, 2020, 12:42:43 AM
...Something I've learnt about myself the hard way is that I shouldn't rely on being spontaneous during a build, i.e. the "oh I'll work something out when I get there" approach. Too often I get stuck on a problem that I can't fix to my satisfaction, and if that coincides with the inevitable mid-project slump in enthusiasm, it greatly increases the chance of me abandoning the the project all together. I need a solid plan FIRST: all the parts sourced, build planned out, alternatives pre-considered. None of this means that I can't be flexible and creative mid-build, it just means that I shouldn't rely on it.

I'm the opposite.  If I try to work out all the details before I start then quite often I don't start because i'll decides something its too difficult.  Coming across an issue I hadn't thought of, or assumed I could get round easilly, forces me to put my brain into gear and work out a solution.  Of course there is also a tendency to put them aside if they prove too difficult.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..