NöNö Bärs Miniatures (Latest: RM Andrea Doria)

Started by nönöbär, June 28, 2020, 02:31:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nönöbär

After TomZ posted his great diorama in 1/3000 here he inspired me to see if this is a size that can be made with a "normal" home 3D printer. Sure, you can get models in this scale at Shapeways, but their printers are a "bit" more advanced than the ones you usually have at home.

So my engineer start to try, and he returned with a first result:

SMS Siegfried (after its enlargement in 1900)

Size is 28 mm. Printed in one piece, masts were added after printing.

Daily updates from my engineer: https://twitter.com/Scratchbr1

--------------------
German Naval History               : www.german-navy.de
Bärenreisen                             : www.barenurlaub.de

zenrat

Sweet.  And small enough to accidentally swallow...
:o ;)

Did you print it with the gun barrels in place?

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

That's really neat.

I've just been going through a "Bookazine" on the pre-Dreadnoughts and it's a subject that fascinates me. I keep meaning to get a kit of one, but even 1/700 scares me let along 1/3000  :o
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

nönöbär

Quote from: zenrat on June 28, 2020, 02:44:31 AM

Yes, the barrels were printed together with the rest. And i was surprised that they were printed at all. I made some tests with other ship models, and on some, the complete guns were missing.

--------------------

nönöbär

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 28, 2020, 05:26:13 AM
That's really neat.

I've just been going through a "Bookazine" on the pre-Dreadnoughts and it's a subject that fascinates me. I keep meaning to get a kit of one, but even 1/700 scares me let along 1/3000  :o

If you are into pre-Dreadnoughts and also into computer games, you should take a look at "Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts". Where you design your own ships and bring them into battle.

And 1:3000 is small, indeed :)

--------------------

zenrat

Quote from: nönöbär on June 28, 2020, 11:00:12 AM
Quote from: zenrat on June 28, 2020, 02:44:31 AM

Yes, the barrels were printed together with the rest. And i was surprised that they were printed at all. I made some tests with other ship models, and on some, the complete guns were missing.

:thumbsup:
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Caveman

Quote from: nönöbär on June 28, 2020, 02:31:23 AM
After TomZ posted his great diorama in 1/3000 here he inspired me to see if this is a size that can be made with a "normal" home 3D printer. Sure, you can get models in this scale at Shapeways, but their printers are a "bit" more advanced than the ones you usually have at home.

So my engineer start to try, and he returned with a first result:

SMS Siegfried (after its enlargement in 1900)

Size is 28 mm. Printed in one piece, masts were added after printing.

Very impressive!
secretprojects forum migrant

nönöbär

Another attempts for 1:3000 ships. This time a carrier. While printing and printing the ship was ok - besides the fact that I had printed it mirrored - the aircraft were a problem.

The first attempts was to scale some 3D models to 1:3000 and print them. Which failed, because thin parts like wings were simply too thin.
So I had to design an "aircraft" where the dimensions were not correct - too thick. So it looks more like an aircraft drawn in Kindergarden :)

But when printing it in 1:3000, it works. Wingspan is just under 4mm, so painting was a bit tricky.

IJV CV Rodan, during its visit in Wilhelmshaven in 1949 (a return visit after TomZs KM visit in Japan in 1947)

Size is 87mm.

--------------------

zenrat

Fred

Knightflyer

Impressive and incredible (the latter referring to the painting!)  ;D
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

NARSES2

Quote from: Knightflyer on July 04, 2020, 04:10:38 AM
Impressive and incredible (the latter referring to the painting!)  ;D

Totally agree, fantastic stuff  :bow:

As an aside if I'd typed my initial reaction then I'd have had to ban myself  ;). I honestly don't know how you can even contemplate painting something that small. 1/300 scale figures were bad enough and that was when I had reasonable eyesight. But 1/3000  :o
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

nönöbär

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 04, 2020, 05:40:49 AM

As an aside if I'd typed my initial reaction then I'd have had to ban myself  ;). I honestly don't know how you can even contemplate painting something that small. 1/300 scale figures were bad enough and that was when I had reasonable eyesight. But 1/3000  :o

With a VERY thin brush, a lot is possible. :)
The carrier itself was not so difficult to paint, the big "sun" on the flight-deck is a decal, the rest is painted.
The little aircraft were tricky - first white or green. Then a bit silver for the cockpit. Black for the engine. And finally a little red dot for the markings. Tried to put some in the sides of the plane, but this did not look good.

--------------------

NARSES2

Quote from: nönöbär on July 04, 2020, 05:54:31 AM

With a VERY thin brush, a lot is possible. :)
The carrier itself was not so difficult to paint, the big "sun" on the flight-deck is a decal, the rest is painted.
The little aircraft were tricky - first white or green. Then a bit silver for the cockpit. Black for the engine. And finally a little red dot for the markings. Tried to put some in the sides of the plane, but this did not look good.

I used to have, still have somewhere, some 000000 brushes, but even with those  :mellow:

No seriously what you say is absolutely right. At that scale you have to allude to a paint scheme rather then accurately replicate one, and that is an art in it'self and you have mastered it  :thumbsup: With 1/300 figures they looked better on mass rather than as individuals.