Painting woes

Started by PR19_Kit, June 18, 2020, 01:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

OK, I'm a hard over brush painter and I expect using an airbrush would solve this problem, but......

Painting the camo on my entry for the 1 Week GB, my Gloster Lance FAW3, I came to paint the Dark Green bits, and it was a disaster!

Using Tamiya RAF Dark Green paint, exactly the same paint as that which I used on my recent Canberra F10 (the same pot even!) I found that every stroke of the brush produced a different shade! The subsequent strokes were usually a lighter shade, which meant the camo came out with darker edges as I usually painted the borders first. (Doesn't everyone?)

This didn't happen with the Canberra, so why should it on the Lance?

As an experiment I tried Tamiya NATO Green instead, which is just slightly darker, but close enough for Government work, and that went on quite nicely, so what's with the RAF Dark Green?

I'm going to overpaint all the duff RAF Dark Green with NATO Green now, as I'm running short on time and if it's all the same shade of green it won't be so obvious, but the problem still bugs me.

Why would it do that?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

I would suspect a mixing problem. But I'm sure you are experienced enough to avoid that so that leaves me short on answers. Not much help I'm afraid. How old was the bottle?

Just to sympathize, I've had more problems painting on my last few projects than ever. Sucking the fun out of modeling.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

It wasn't mixed at all, it was straight out of the Tamiya pot. And it was pretty new, only a month old at most.

The fact that it worked fine on the Canberra 2 weeks ago, and yet doesn't work now is the most disturbing thing. I've switched to the NATO Green now and that's gone on just fine.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kerick

I think it's gremlins.......
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

andrewj

I've found the same problem with Tamiya's  RAF dark green , streaky finish with some brush strokes appearing a different shades to others , but it doesn't always happen. I 've no idea why , as it doesn't seem to follow any logical pattern , very hit or miss .It does , however , give a nice worn , faded look , but of course not always wanted.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: kerick on June 18, 2020, 03:05:13 PM
I would suspect a mixing problem.

Same here. I found that Tamiya paints have to be strirred very well, esp. when they are older and the share of thinner declines.

NARSES2

You may have seen the problems I've been having with Tamiya IJA Green ? Anyway I'm convinced that was an old bottle, but we shall see next week. I actually think it's the weather conditions, or at least the humidity we've been suffering recently.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Tamiya paints must be mixed well to get a consistent colour &, really, don't like water (despite the fact that I often use water-thinned Tamiya acrylics for weathering work) as the paint gets a bit cludgy.

The best thinners I've found are the Tamiya brand & isopropyl alcohol; Tamiya thinners take a little longer to dry than isopropyl, so you can work it a little bit longer. Methylated spirits is also pretty good but can change the colour of your paint (usually lightens it a bit).
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Note to poms (and possibly seppos).  Australian methylated spirits (AKA metho) is clear.  It does not have purple dye added to it*.

Kit.  I suspect your paint issues are due to the phase of the moon.

*well, OK.  It does sometimes.  For some reason we can buy both clear and purple metho.  I buy clear because then it doesn't go a funny colour when I add the pineapple juice... :o**
**joke.  Don't try it at home kids.  Pinch dads beer or mums gin instead.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

rickshaw

I've never had a problem with Tamiya paints.  I suspect it might be temperature related or as Fred suggests, the phases of the moon.  I don't even bother to always mix the paint, it always turns out a uniform shade.   I know I'm weird but, hey, who isn't?   :o
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

The Gunze Sangayo stuff works a lot better, and leaves only slight shade differences, and then not very often. All in all I much prefer it to the Tamiya colours. They're not easy to find in the UK though.

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

My experience with Gunze Sankyo colours has, I have to admit, not been good.  Something about them.  They don't mix easily and they do not produce uniform shades, unlike the Tamiya ones as already related.   Perhaps it is moving the Gunze stuff below the Equator that is the problem?   :banghead:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on June 19, 2020, 11:40:01 PM

Perhaps it is moving the Gunze stuff below the Equator that is the problem?   :banghead:

Of course you'll run into problems down there Brian! When you take the lid off all the paint will fall out, the pot will be upside down!  :o

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 20, 2020, 04:08:05 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on June 19, 2020, 11:40:01 PM

Perhaps it is moving the Gunze stuff below the Equator that is the problem?   :banghead:

Of course you'll run into problems down there Brian! When you take the lid off all the paint will fall out, the pot will be upside down!  :o

I do know that cathode ray TVs had problems with magnetics when moved from the Northern to the Southern hemisphere.  I've never witnessed paint falling out of a pot though.  Unless of course you turned it upside down, mate.   :banghead: