Drone versus manned aircraft test

Started by Rheged, June 05, 2020, 07:25:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

The techno world can't even get autonomous vehicles to work properly in two dimensions so far.

Doing it in three dimensions would seem to be a tad optimistic to my mind.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

The USAF carried out experiments way back in the 1970s of UAVs versus manned aircrafts.  The UAVs invariably won.  They would turn harder and faster than the manned aircraft.  Of course, they were firebees controlled from the ground rather than autonomous aircraft controlled by onboard AIs.  Time though will tell.  Maybe not this generation but the next?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

zenrat

A return to pre-electronics aircraft plus the development of EMP weapons would seem to be the answer to drones...
;)
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 05, 2020, 07:34:27 AM
The techno world can't even get autonomous vehicles to work properly in two dimensions so far.

Doing it in three dimensions would seem to be a tad optimistic to my mind.

Oh they're getting there, just not as quickly as the arch proponents thought/think.  Some fundamental issues still need to be sorted out, the day will come.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Spey_Phantom

sounds more like the storyline of Ace Combat 7, pilots vs drones.
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

PR19_Kit

It won't matter in the aerial combat field, but I see the major problem with autonomous cars, trucks and buses will be the insurance issues.

What happens when one autonomous car hits another one? The insurance companies won't be able to apply their usual 'blame shifting' agreements because there will be no-one to shift the blame onto. Will they be able to sue an ECU, or its programmer? No chance!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: zenrat on June 05, 2020, 08:04:50 PM
A return to pre-electronics aircraft plus the development of EMP weapons would seem to be the answer to drones...
;)

Back to the '20s and early '30s then?  ;D

zenrat

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on June 07, 2020, 12:48:31 PM
;)

Maybe later.  Are pre solid state electronics safe from EMP?  ISTR reading about Soviet interceptors with valve radios so as to be able to operate after a nuclear blast.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on June 08, 2020, 04:31:33 AM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on June 07, 2020, 12:48:31 PM
;)

Maybe later.  Are pre solid state electronics safe from EMP?  ISTR reading about Soviet interceptors with valve radios so as to be able to operate after a nuclear blast.

IIRC that's exactly the case.

Regards
Kit